Miss Bumbum is an annual beauty pageant held in Brazil to reward the owner of the best buttocks in the country. Created by journalist and entrepreneur Cacau Oliver, the competition has 27 contestants, each of whom represents one of the country's 27 states. The winner receives 50,000 Brazilian reais (about US$22,000) in endorsement deals, and instantly becomes a celebrity in Brazil. Brazilian television network RedeTV! broadcasts the event. The reigning title holder is Lunna LeBlanc.
Miss Bumbum made its first foray into the US market by licensing an official 2017 calendar for distribution in the US. The calendar was published in December 2016, featuring the 2016 winner Erika Canela on the cover.
- 2021: Lunna LeBlanc
- 2020: Lu Duarte
- 2018: Ellen Santana
- 2017: Rosie Oliveira
- 2016: Erika Canela
- 2015: Suzy Cortez
- 2014: Indianara Carvalho
- 2013: Dai Macedo
- 2012: Carine Felizardo
- 2011: Rosana Ferreira
Other notable contestants
- Andressa Urach – model
- Claudia Alende – model
In October 2013, according to the International Business Times, models Mari Sousa (25) and Eliana Amaral (24) were accused of paying the equivalent of thousands of US dollars in bribes to the judges of the contest.
In 2018, two trans women became contestants for Miss Bumbum, the first such women to do so. Several of the other contestants objected to the inclusion of trans women in the contest. The 2018 contest was also marred by a losing contestant, Aline Uva, accusing her opposition of having surgically augmented buttocks and causing a ruckus onstage.
Miss Bumbum Brazil has led to the spin-off competitions Miss Bumbum World, the Fitness Angel Show in Japan and one for the FIFA World Cup in soccer. Miss Reef, held in Chile and various other South American countries, and Got Ass, held in North America, are similar competitions engaged in judging which women have the best buttocks.
In Brazilian slang, bumbum is a term used for a woman's buttocks, which are considered an important element of physical beauty in Brazilian culture. An appreciation of well-shaped and sizeable female buttocks is common and widespread in Brazil and the traditional Brazilian preference is for women to have large round buttocks, the Brazilian ideal being much wider, thicker and shapelier than may often be associated with the European ideal. In 2014, more than 50,000 buttock implant procedures were performed in Brazil, compared to 19,000 in the United States. The popularity of the Miss Bumbum contest in Brazil in 2014 led to online voting for the winner exceeding 2 million votes.
- ^ a b c Carolina Moreno (11 August 2014). "Miss Bumbum 2014 Contestants Hope To Have Brazil's Best Butt". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ Hilary Hanson (29 September 2012). "'Miss Bum Bum' Pageant Seeks Brazil's Best Butt (PHOTOS)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ Thaís Sant'Anna (17 September 2014). "'Fama é como uma droga', diz criador do Miss Bumbum" ['Fame is like a drug', says creator of Miss Bumbum]. Ego.globo.com (in Portuguese). Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ Carol Pires (May 2014). "Inventor de subcelebridades" [Inventor of Subcelebrities]. Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese).
- ^ Miss Bumbum Brasil - Idealizador do Miss Bumbum, Cacau Oliver conta como teve a ideia de criar o concurso, Globotv.globo.com
- ^ "Miss Bum Bum 2014 Finalistas". Taringa!. August 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ "Miss Bumbum presenta a sus candidatas de la edición 2014" [Miss Bumbum presents its candidates for the 2014 contest]. montevideo.com.uy (in Spanish). 6 August 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ Silva, Daniel F. (2017). Subjectivity and the Reproduction of Imperial Power: Empire's Individuals. Routledge Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Literature. Routledge. ISBN 9781317443384.
- ^ "Spend 12 Months with Miss Bumbum: Miss Bumbum 2017 Calendar". Bumbum Calendar. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- ^ "Mineira Lunna Leblanc é eleita Miss Bumbum 2021: veja fotos" [Lunna Leblanc from Minas Gerais is elected Miss Bumbum 2021: see photos]. O Tempo (in Portuguese). 7 June 2021.
- ^ "Fantasiada de Coringa, Lu Duarte diz que vai colocar bumbum no seguro" [Dressed as the Joker, Lu Duarte says she is going to insure her butt]. Universo Online (in Portuguese). São Paulo. 29 October 2020.
- ^ a b Petkar, Sofia (8 November 2018). "Miss BumBum 2018 contestants tussle on stage as one accuses a rival of cheating with 'plastic butt'". News.com.au. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- ^ Tarbert, Kristine (7 November 2017). "Contestants bare all for annual Miss Bumbum competition". Yahoo! News.
- ^ Moye, David (11 November 2016). "Erika Canela Wins Top Honors In Miss Bumbum Brazil Pageant". The Huffington Post.
- ^ "Miss Bumbum Brazil 2015 Winner Announced". Latin Post. 10 November 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- ^ Moye, David (19 November 2014). "And Miss Bumbum 2014 Is . . . Indianara Carvalho (NSFW)". The Huffington Post.
- ^ "Dai Macedo Wins 2013 Miss Bum Bum Competition, Despite Controversy". The Huffington Post. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ David Moye (4 December 2012). "Carine Felizardo Wins Brazil's Miss Bum Bum 2012 (PHOTOS, VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ a b "Look behind: pageant picks Brazil's most shapely female posterior". Hindustan Times. 1 December 2012. Archived from the original on 26 October 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ "Brazil's Miss Bum Bum – The Best Kind of Beauty Pageant". Deepbottle.com. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2017 – via eBaum's World.
- ^ "Brazil Chooses Miss Bumbum, a Tribute to the Country's Favorite Female Anatomy Part » Design You Trust". Designyoutrust.com. Archived from the original on 3 July 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ "Miss Bum Bum Brasil Looks Like The Greatest Pageant Of All-Time". Uproxx.com. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ Amanda Serra, do UOL em São Paulo (17 November 2014). "Trampolim de subcelebridades, Miss Bumbum busca nova Andressa Urach". UOL entretenimento Celebridades. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- ^ Marília Neves, do EGO em São Paulo. (20 April 2016). "Claudia Alende anuncia mudança para os EUA após destaque em revista" [Claudia Alende announces move to US after being featured in magazine] (in Portuguese). Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- ^ "Miss Bumbum 2013 Contestants Mari Sousa, Eliana Amaral Bribed Brazilian Beauty Judges: Report". The Huffington Post. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- ^ Claire Toureille (16 May 2018). "Miss Bumbum pageant: Trans model's rivals are trying to kick her out of contest to crown Brazil's best butt". Pink News.
- ^ Roper, Matt (27 June 2018). "Miss Bumbum goes global as Brazil's biggest beauty pageant expands to worldwide competition". Daily Mirror. UK.
- ^ McGee, Brian (25 July 2018). "Stop And See All The Hottest Contestants From Japan's Miss Bumbum Competition!". Egotastic.
- ^ "Ass-Sets: Chile Hosts 'Best Bum' Competition In Los Andes". The Santiago Times. 6 April 2017.
- ^ "Welcome to Got Ass". Got Ass?. Archived from the original on 12 September 2018. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- ^ a b Kenn & Nichols 2017, p. 55.
- ^ a b c Kenn & Nichols 2017, p. 40.
- ^ Kenn & Nichols 2017, p. 62.
- Kenn, Erin; Nichols, Elizabeth Gackstetter (2017). Beauty around the World: A Cultural Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. ISBN 9781610699457.
- Official website
- bumbumcalendar.com - Official Calendar website
- Miss Bumbum Brasil on Instagram