Miss California USA
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California|
Miss California USA is the beauty pageant that selects the representative for the state of California in the Miss USA pageant, and the name of the title held by that winner. The pageant is directed by Crown Diva Productions.
California's most successful placements were in 1959, 1966, 1975, 1983, 1992, and 2011, when Terry Huntingdon, Maria Remenyi, Summer Bartholomew, Julie Hayek, Shannon Marketic, and Alyssa Campanella, respectively, were crowned Miss USA.
The current Miss California USA is Tiffany Johnson of Lancaster, California, who is crowned on June 5, 2022 at the Hyatt Regency Orange County. Johnson represented California for the title of Miss USA 2022, she placed at the Top 16.
The Miss California USA Pageant was produced by Carolee Munger. Prior to Ms. Munger, Guyrex Productions held the franchise for a number of years and produced successful televised pageants with over 100 participants. Before Guyrex, the pageant was produced by Dr. Leanord Stallcup, who took over the directorship after Faye Smith successfully led the way through the 1970s and 1980s. Also was produced by Top 10 Productions, Inc. San Diego-based. Top 10 was led by Pam Wilson and Alex Kuty, who have been involved in pageant and fashion production for many years. Top 10 took over for K2 Productions in 2013. K2 had a number of controversies but during its 9 years producing the pageant, it managed to be the top placing state at Miss USA, growing the entry numbers to the largest state pageant in the history of Miss USA and doing the first live television airing in over 10 years. In the beginning, K2 Productions was directed by former Miss Teen USA 1995, Keylee Sue Sanders, and Keith Lewis. K2 Productions was later directed by Lewis and briefly co-produced by Miss USA 1995, Shanna Moakler. In October 2021, Kristen Bradford of Crown Diva Productions took over the directorship for California pageants.
In 2009 Carrie Prejean was forced to resign after placing 1st runner-up at Miss USA 2009 after a controversy developed regarding the answer she gave to her final interview question at the national pageant. Pageant organisers claimed she was fired due to contractual violations.
California has produced a Miss USA every decade (except the 2000s) and is ranked second highest among states in terms of placements, after Texas.
Shauna Gambill, who won the national Miss Teen USA crown in 1994, is the only Miss California USA who has previously held the Miss California Teen USA title. As Miss California USA in 1998, Gambill placed 1st Runner-Up to Shawnae Jebbia of Massachusetts. Three Miss California USA titleholders have also competed in the Miss America pageant while two were former winners of the Miss Teenage California Scholarship Pageant.
Gallery of titleholders
Nadia Mejia, Miss California USA 2016
Cassandra Kunze, Miss California USA 2014
Natalie Pack, Miss California USA 2012
Katie Blair, Miss California USA 2011[a]
Alyssa Campanella, Miss California USA 2011 and Miss USA 2011
Nicole Johnson, Miss California USA 2010
Tami Farrell, Miss California USA 2009[b]
Carrie Prejean, Miss California USA 2009[c]
Raquel Beezley, Miss California USA 2008
Meagan Tandy, Miss California USA 2007
Tamiko Nash, Miss California USA 2006
Julie Hayek, Miss California USA 1983 and Miss USA 1983
- Miss USAs: Terry Huntingdon (1959), Maria Remenyi (1966), Summer Bartholomew (1975), Julie Hayek (1983), Shannon Marketic (1992), Alyssa Campanella (2011)
- 1st Runners-Up: Pamela Stettler (1961), Susan Bradley (1967), Diana Magaña (1988), Shauna Gambill (1998), Brittany Hogan (2005), Tamiko Nash (2006), Carrie Prejean (2009)
- 2nd Runners-Up: Kim Hobson (1972), Diane Schock (1991), Angelique Breaux (1999)
- 3rd Runners-Up: Donna Schurr (1955), Marilyn Tindall (1962), Gayle Gorrell (1974), Pamela Gergley (1977), Cynthia Kerby (1981), Meagan Tandy (2007)
- 4th Runners-Up: Francine Herack (1963), Troas Hayes (1969), Kelly Parsons (1986)
- Top 5: Nadia Mejía (2016)
- Top 10/12: Karin Morrell (1971), Carol Herrema (1973), Joni Pennock (1976), Donna Adrain (1978), Linda Fogarty (1979), Christina Faust (1989), Jane Olvera (1993), Tarah Peters (2002), Nicole Johnson (2010), Cassandra Kunze (2014), India Williams (2017), Kelley Johnson (2018), Allyshia Gupta (2020)
- Top 15/20: Marcella Roulette (1953), Sandra Constance (1954), Peggy Jacobson (1957), Donna Brooks (1958), Teri Janssen (1960), Jeanne Venables (1964), Kathryn Hage (1965), Suzanne Fromm (1968), Linda Hall (1970), Raquel Beezley (2008), Mabelynn Capeluj (2013), Tiffany Johnson (2022)
California holds a record of 51 placements at Miss USA, second overall behind Texas and ahead of New York and South Carolina.
- Miss Congeniality: Jeanne Venables (1964), Cynthia Kerby (1981), Lori Dickerson (1987)
- Miss Photogenic: Maria Remenyi (1966), Cynthia Kerby (1981), Shannon Marketic (1992), Cassandra Kunze (2014)
- Best State Costume: Suzanne Fromm (1968)
- Color key
|Year||Name||Hometown||Age[d]||Local Title||Placement at Miss USA||Special awards at Miss USA||Notes|
|2022||Tiffany Johnson||Lancaster||26||Miss Lancaster||Top 16||Former Los Angeles Clippers Professional Dancer|
|2021||Sabrina Lewis||Berkeley||23||Miss Berkeley||
|2020||Allyshia Gupta||Los Angeles||25||Miss Los Angeles||Top 10||
|2019||Erica Dann||San Francisco||27||Miss San Francisco|
|2018||Kelley Johnson||Los Angeles||24||Miss Redondo Beach||Top 10||
|2017||India Williams||Lafayette||20||Miss Santa Monica||Top 10|
|2016||Nadia Mejia||Diamond Bar||20||Miss Corona Del Mar||Top 5||
|2015||Natasha Martinez||Chino Hills||23||Miss Santa Anita Park|
|2014||Cassandra Kunze||San Diego||20||Miss Beverly Hills||Top 10||Miss Photogenic|
|2013||Mabelynn Capeluj||San Diego||21||Miss Greater San Diego||Top 15||
|2012||Natalie Pack||Palos Verdes||22||Miss Hoag Hospital||
|2011||Katie Blair||Los Angeles||23||Miss Laurel Canyon||did not compete||
|Alyssa Campanella||Los Angeles||20||Miss Hillsbourough||Miss USA 2011||
|2010||Nicole Johnson||Westlake Village||24||Miss Sherwood||Top 10|
|2009||Tami Farrell||Los Angeles||25||Miss Malibu||did not compete||
|Carrie Prejean||San Diego||21||Miss La Jolla||1st Runner-Up||
|2008||Raquel Beezley||Barstow||21||Miss Barstow||Top 15|
|2007||Meagan Tandy||Fontana||21||Miss Inland Empire||3rd Runner-Up|
|2006||Tamiko Nash||Los Angeles||26||Miss North Los Angeles||1st Runner-Up|
|2005||Brittany Hogan||Escondido||20||Miss City of San Diego||1st Runner-Up|
|2004||Ellen Chapman||San Jose||22||Miss San Francisco-Bay Area||
|2003||Candice Sanders||La Habre||26||Miss Greater Los Angeles|
|2002||Tarah Peters||San Diego||21||Miss Greater San Diego||Top 12|
|2001||Jennifer Glover||Castro Valley||21||Miss Bay City||
|2000||Rebekah Ann Keller||Lakewood||25||Miss Greater Lakewood||
|1999||Angelique Breaux||San Diego||21||Miss Vista||2nd Runner-Up||
|1998||Shauna Gambill||Acton||21||Miss Acton||1st Runner-Up||
|1997||Alisa Kimble||Lake Elsinore||27||Miss Lake Elsinore|
|1996||Shauna Lyn Searles||Tustin||26||Miss Tustin||
|1995||Deana Avila||Laguna Niguel||Miss Laguna Niguel|
|1994||Toay Lynn Foster||Oxnard||Miss Tulare County|
|1993||Jane Olvera||Fresno||23||Miss Central Valley||Top 12|
|1992||Shauna Lyn Searles||Los Angeles||Miss Sacramento Valley||did not compete||
|Shannon Marketic||Malibu||21||Miss West Los Angeles||Miss USA 1992||Miss Photogenic|
|1991||Diane Schock||Fontana||24||Miss Claremont||2nd Runner-Up|
|1990||Cynthia Nelson||Gilroy||Miss Gilroy|
|1989||Christina Maria Faust||San Fernando Valley||23||Miss San Fernando Valley||Top 10|
|1988||Diana Magaña||Rancho Palos Verdes||22||Miss Los Angeles County||1st Runner-Up||
|1987||Lori Dickerson||Lodi||Miss San Joaquin County||Miss Congeniality|
|1986||Kelly Parsons||Los Angeles||22||Miss Northridge||4th Runner-Up|
|1985||Zina Ponder||Long Beach||Miss Long Beach|
|1984||Theresa Ring||San Diego||Miss Greater San Diego||1987 Star Search spokesmodel|
|1983||Julie Lynne Hayek||Westwood||22||Miss Westwood||Miss USA 1983|
|1982||Suzanne Dewames||Thousand Oaks||Miss Ventura County|
|1981||Cynthia Kerby||Westlake Village||Miss Las Virgenes||3rd Runner-Up||Miss Photogenic
|1980||Kari Lloyd||Thousand Oaks|
|1979||Linda Fogarty||Fullerton||Top 12|
|1978||Donna Adrain||Anaheim||Top 12|
|1977||Pamela Gergely||San Rafael||3rd Runner-Up|
|1976||Joni Pennock||Fullerton||20||Top 12|
|1975||Summer Bartholomew||Merced||23||Miss USA 1975|
|1974||Gayle Gorrell||Los Angeles||3rd Runner-Up|
|1973||Carol Herrema||Artesia||Top 12|
|1972||Kim Hobson||San Mateo||2nd Runner-Up|
|1971||Karin Morrell||Auburn||Top 12|
|1970||Linda Hall||Los Angeles||Top 15|
|1969||Troas Hayes||Sacramento||4th Runner-Up|
|1968||Suzanne Fromm||Los Angeles||Top 15||Best State Costume|
|1967||Susan Bradley||Tustin||1st Runner-Up|
|1966||Maria Remenyi||El Cerrito||20||Miss USA 1966||Miss Photogenic|
|1965||Kathryn Lee Hage||Santa Monica||Top 15|
|1964||Jeanne Venables||Sacramento||Top 15||Miss Congeniality|
|1963||Francine Herack||Encino||4th Runner-Up|
|1962||Marilyn Tindall||Los Angeles||3rd Runner-Up|
|1961||Pamela Stettler||San Rafael||1st Runner-Up|
|1960||Teri Janssen||Los Angeles||Top 15|
|1959||Terry Lynn Huntingdon||Mount Shasta||19||Miss USA 1959|
|1958||Donna Kay Brooks||Los Angeles||Top 15|
|1957||Peggy Jacobson||Los Angeles||Top 15|
|1956||Shirlee Witty||Los Angeles|
|1955||Donna Schurr||Los Angeles||3rd Runner-Up|
|1954||Sandra Constance||Los Angeles||Top 20|
|1953||Marcella Roulette||Los Angeles||Top 20|
|1952||Gloria Maxwell||Los Angeles|
- ^ Blair was originally the first runner-up, but inherited the title of Miss California USA 2011 when Alyssa Campanella was crowned Miss USA 2011. The two titles cannot be held simultaneously.
- ^ Farrell was originally the first runner-up, but inherited the title of Miss California USA 2009 when Carrie Prejean was dethroned during her reign.
- ^ Prejean was dethroned by the Miss California USA Organization and did not complete her reign.
- ^ Age at the time of crowning
- ^ "Carrie Prejean stripped of Miss California title". Today. 11 June 2009.
- ^ McKinley, Jesse (10 June 2009). "Donald Trump Fires Miss California".
- ^ Harding, Todd (December 4, 2017). "Former Miss Colorado Wins Miss California USA Pageant". K99 News.
- ^ Udell, Erin (2 January 2018). "Former Windsor resident mocked by 'The View' co-host named Miss California". The Coloradoan.
- ^ Taylor, Evelyn (17 January 2017). "Miss California: LMU Junior Represents Santa Monica and Takes Coveted Crown". Westside Today. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- ^ Gore, Leada (6 June 2016). "'Rico Suave's' daughter: Miss California is Nadia Mejia, daughter of '90s pop star Gerardo". AL.com.
- ^ "Mabelynn Capeluj Crowned Miss California USA 2013". Beauty Pageant News. January 13, 2013. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
- ^ Gruszecki, Debra (9 January 2012). "Miss California USA crowned". The Desert Sun.
- ^ "Glitz, glamour, gowns". The Desert Sun. November 22, 2010. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- ^ "Miss USA crowned". Dallas Morning News. Associated Press. February 8, 1992. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Shannon La Rhea Marketic, Miss California USA, was crowned Miss USA 1992 Friday night in Wichita, Kan. The 22-year-old Pepperdine University student, a native of Malibu, looked upward when she realized she had won. She then made a thank-you gesture to the audience and judges.
- ^ "New Miss California". The San Francisco Chronicle. 1987-08-31. p. 6.
- ^ "Bringing Up Beauty / In the months before the Miss USA Pageant, advisers work on Miss California". The San Francisco Chronicle. 1987-10-01. p. 6.
- ^ "Miss California-USA". The San Francisco Chronicle. 1986-10-30. p. 6.
- ^ "Personal Mention". Houston Chronicle. 1987-02-13.
- ^ "Would-be dentist wears a crown". Philadelphia Daily News. May 13, 1983. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Miss California, Julie Lynne Hayek, a green-eyed student model who wants to be a dentist, was crowned Miss USA last night.
- ^ "Sharing Gospel is Great Joy for Miss California". The Deseret News. 1976-11-06.[permanent dead link]