Miss Earth 2006
|Miss Earth 2006|
Miss Earth 2006 and her court (Fire, Earth, Air and Water)
|Date||26 November 2006|
|Presenters||Ariel Ureta, Priscilla Meirelles, Ginger Conejero|
|Venue||National Museum, Manila, Philippines|
|Broadcaster||ABS-CBN, The Filipino Channel, Star World|
|Debuts||Botswana, Cayman Islands, Curaçao, England, Georgia, Guadeloupe, Ireland, Liberia, Lithuania, Tibet, Wales|
|Withdrawals||Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cameroon, Colombia, Hong Kong, Hungary, Israel, Jamaica, Latvia, Macau, Mauritius, Mongolia, Niue, Portugal, Tokelau, United Kingdom, Zambia|
|Returns||Albania, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Greece, Guatemala, Italy, Spain, Switzerland|
|Congeniality||Maria Lucia Leo
|Best National Costume||Mililani Vienna Tofa
Miss Earth 2006, the sixth edition of Miss Earth pageant, took place on 26 November 2006 at the grounds of the National Museum in Manila, Philippines. The pageant was won by Hil Hernández of Chile and crowned by outgoing titleholder, Miss Earth 2005, Alexandra Braun.
The event was originally intended to be held in Santiago, Chile on 15 November, but the Chilean organizers did not meet requirements. In the end, pageant owners Carousel Productions decided to hold the pageant in the Philippines, where all previous Miss Earth pageants had been held, despite having less than two months to prepare for the event.
On 24 November, a number of delegates participated in the Philippine version of Deal or No Deal, acting as suitcase models during the game. This followed an episode of the US game show, where 26 Miss USA 2006 contestant acted as suitcase models.
|Miss Earth 2006||
|Miss Earth – Air 2006||
|Miss Earth – Water 2006||
|Miss Earth – Fire 2006||
|Miss Photogenic||Canada – Riza Santos|
|Best National Costume||Samoa – Mililani Vienna Tofa|
|Miss Friendship||Italy – Maria Lucia Leo|
|Miss Talent||China – Zhou Mengting|
|Best in Swimsuit||Venezuela – Marianne Puglia|
|Best in Long Gown||India – Amruta Patki|
Final Question in Miss Earth 2006: "What effort must the country's government exert to stop global warming?"
Answer of Miss Earth 2006: "We have to educate the people on global warming. We should help them to control pollution, create global consciousness. Bigger industries are involved here. You run the economy, now it is your turn to take care of Mother Earth". – Hil Hernández, represented Chile.
The following is the list of the board of judges in this year's Miss Earth:
|1||Abbygale Arenas||Binibining Pilipinas-Universe 1997, Top Fashion Model, Personality/Image Consultant|
|2||Catherine Constantinides||Environmentalist and TV host of a Lifestyle show in South Africa|
|3||Tweety de Leon||Top Fashion Model|
|4||Justine Gabionza||Miss Tourism Queen International 2006 from Philippines|
|5||Michel Adam Lisowski||Founder & Chairperson of Fashion TV|
|6||Warner Manning||Environmentalist, Chief Executive of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation|
|7||Andrea Mastellone||general manager, Traders Hotel Manila|
|8||Jose Ramon Olives||Journalist, Senior Vice President of ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation|
|9||Dorian Peña||Professional basketball player for the San Miguel Brewery|
|10||Ricky Reyes||Beauty Expert-Cum-Philanthropist|
|11||Tatsuhiko Takahasi||Philanthropist, President of Richmonde Hotel|
|12||Lee Chul-woo||Korean Air Regional Manager for the Philippines|
The delegates were divided into three groups which simultaneously competed in the swimsuit preliminary competition in three different locations: Trace Aquatic Sports Complex in Los Baños, Laguna, Golden Sunset Resort in Calatagan, Batangas and in Coron, Palawan. The competition was held on 12 November 2006.
The finalists from the Laguna group were: Jessica Anne Jordan (Bolivia), Francys Sudnicka (Poland), Patra Rungratansunthorn (Thailand), Amanda Pennekamp (United States), Marianne Puglia (Venezuela)
The finalists from the Batangas group were: Ana Quinot (Brazil), Riza Santos (Canada), Anne-Charlotte Triplet (France), Paloma Navarro (Paraguay), Richa Adhia (Tanzania)
Rounding off the top 15 finalists were the finalists who were selected from the third group in Coron, Palawan: Catherine Gregg (Guatemala), Catherine Untalan (Philippines), Cathy Daniel (Saint Lucia), Raimata Agnieray (Tahiti), Karina Kharchynska (Ukraine)
The 15 finalists then competed in the Final Swimsuit Competition, held on 18 November at the Fontana Leisure Park in Clark Field, Pampanga. From the 15 finalists, Marianne Puglia of Venezuela was chosen as Best in Swimsuit.
The 2006 talent competition was held on 22 November at the Teatro Marikina, Marikina City. 15 of the delegates, chosen in a preliminary competition days before, performed their talents in front of the judges and audience. The semi-finalists were Riza Raquel Santos (Canada), Zhou Mei Ting (China), Kristal Sprock (Curaçao), Nicoline Qvortrup (Denmark), Maria Stahl (Ecuador), Anne-Charlotte Triplet (France), Yelena Setiabudi (Indonesia), Sharon Amador (Nicaragua), Paloma Navarro (Paraguay), Catherine Untalan (Philippines), Nicoleta Motei (Romania), Raimata Agnieray (Tahiti), Tsering Chungtak (Tibet), Nicquell Garland (Turks & Caicos), and Vu Nguyen Ha Anh (Vietnam). The winner of the competition was Zhou Mei Ting of China.
List of countries and delegates that participated in Miss Earth 2006:
- Albania – Blerta Halili
- Argentina – Andrea Carolina Garcia
- Australia – Natalie Newton
- Bahamas – Leandra Pratt
- Belgium – Isabelle Cornelis
- Bolivia – Jessica Jordan Burton
- Bosnia & Herzegovina – Bosena Jelcic
- Botswana – Kefilwe Kgosi
- Brazil – Ana Paula Quinot
- Canada – Riza Raquel Santos
- Cayman Islands – Stephanie Monique Espeut
- Chile – Hil Yesenia Hernández
- China – Zhou Mengting
- Costa Rica – Maripaz Duarte
- Curaçao – Kristal Rose Sprock
- Czech Republic – Petra Soukupová
- Denmark – Nicoline Qvortrup
- Dominican Republic – Alondra Peña
- Ecuador – Maria Magdalena Stahl
- Egypt – Meriam George
- El Salvador – Ana Flor Astrid Machado
- England – Holly Ikin
- Ethiopia – Dina Fekadu
- Finland – Linnea Aaltonen
- France – Anne Charlotte Triplet
- Georgia – Maria Sarchimelia
- Germany – Fatima Funk
- Ghana – Mable Naadu Frye
- Greece – Eugenia Lattou
- Guadeloupe – Ingrid Bevis
- Guatemala – Catherine Gregg
- Haiti – Helan Georges
- Honduras – Lesly Gabriela Molina Kristoffp
- India – Amruta Patki
- Indonesia – Yelena Setiabudi
- Ireland – Melanie Boreham
- Italy – Maria Lucia Leo
- Japan – Noriko Ohno
- Kenya – Emah Madegwa
- Korea – Park Hee-jung
- Lebanon – Nahed Al Saghir †
- Liberia – Rachel Njinimbam
- Lithuania – Evelina Dedul
- Macedonia – Ivana Popovska
- Malaysia – Alice Loh
- Martinique – Megane Martinon
- Mexico – Alina Garcia
- Nepal – Ayushma Pokharel
- Netherlands – Sabrina Van Der Donk
- New Zealand – Annelise Burton
- Nicaragua – Sharon Amador
- Nigeria – Ivy Obrori Edenkwo
- Norway – Meria Leroy
- Pakistan – Sehr Mahmood
- Panama – Stefanie de Roux
- Paraguay – Paloma Navarro
- Peru – Valery Caroline Neff
- Philippines – Catherine Untalan
- Poland – Francys Sudnicka
- Puerto Rico – Camille Colazzo
- Romania – Nicoleta Motei
- Russia – Elena Salnikova
- Saint Lucia – Cathy Daniel
- Samoa – Mililani Vienna Tofa
- Serbia & Montenegro – Dubravka Skoric
- Singapore – Shn Juay Shi Yun
- Slovak Republic – Judita Hrubyová
- South Africa – Nancy Dos Reis
- Spain – Rocio Cazallas
- Sweden – Cécilia Harbo Kristensen
- Switzerland – Laura Ferrara
- Tahiti – Raimata Agnieray
- Taiwan – Chiu Yu-Cheng
- Tanzania – Richa Maria Adhia
- Thailand – Pailin Rungratanasunthorn
- Tibet – Tsering Chungtak
- Turks & Caicos – Nicquell Garland
- Ukraine – Karina Kharchinska
- USA – Amanda Pennekamp
- Venezuela – Marianne Puglia
- Vietnam – Vũ Nguyễn Hà Anh
- Wales – Laura Livesy
- Cayman Islands
Notes: England and Wales are technically new as they were represented in the previous years as Great Britain or United Kingdom.
- Hong Kong
- Pailin Rungratanasunthor (Thailand) competed at Amazing Race Asia 3 alongside Miss Universe 2005 Natalie Glebova.
- Riza Santos (Canada) joined the Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition 2 on 14 October 2007 and eventually won as first runner-up.
- Nahed Al-Saghir (Lebanon) died on 16 April 2011, of complications from a severe kidney infection.
- "Miss Earth 2006". Retrieved 18 March 2008.
- Palmero, Paul (18 June 2005). "Pageant History". Pageant Almanac. Retrieved 7 January 2008.
- Yazon, Giovanni Paolo J. (20 May 2006). "Miss Philippines Earth 2006: Height is might". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 5 January 2009.
- "Miss Chile, Hil Yesenia Hernandez Escobar, Crowned Miss Earth 2006". Retrieved 18 March 2008.
- "Newsline: Road to Miss Earth 2006". Retrieved 18 March 2008.
- "Special Episode of NBC's "Deal or No Deal" Featuring 26 Miss USA Delegates". Retrieved 18 March 2008.
- "Miss Earth 2006: Hil Yesenia Hernandez Escobar". Archived from the original on 11 March 2008. Retrieved 18 March 2008.
- Yazon, Giovanni Paolo J. (30 November 2006). "Chile's charmer wins Miss Earth crown". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 27 December 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miss Earth 2006 contestants.|