Miss Hawaii USA
Hawaii is the most recent state to start competing at Miss USA, as it first competed in 1962. Prior to this, delegates were sent to Miss Universe. Despite the late start, it has been one of the most successful: Hawaii's first Miss USA, Macel Wilson, came the first year the state competed. There have been four Miss USA winners from Hawaii, one of three states with four titles (only second to Texas and California). Although there have been many Miss USA winners and semifinalists, relatively few women from Hawaiʻi have placed as runners-up. Two of them previously competed at Miss Teen USA. Kelly Hu, Miss Teen USA 1985, became the first Miss Teen USA winner to win a Miss title, in 1993.
Many Miss Hawaii USA titleholders competed at a number of international pageants. Similar to Miss South Carolina USA, there was one Miss Hawaii USA that competed at Miss World. Another one competed at Miss International. Four of the winners competed at Miss Universe, after winning Miss USA. Out of six titleholders who represented the United States or Hawaii at major international pageants, only one won an international crown: Miss Hawaii USA 1997, Brook Lee who won the title of Miss USA 1997 and also captured the crown of Miss Universe 1997, one of only 8 Miss USA winners to become Miss Universe in the history of the pageant.
The current titleholder is Julie Kuo.
- Miss USA: Macel Wilson (1962), Tanya Wilson (1972), Judi Andersen (1978), Brook Lee (1997)
- First runners-up: Chelsea Hardin (2016)
- Second runners-up: Blanche Maa (1979)
- Fourth runners-up: Teri Ann Linn (1981)
- Top 6: Kelly Hu (1993), Angela Byrd (2011)
- Top 10: Tina Machado (1985), Alicia Michioka (2003), Chanel Wise (2007)
- Top 11: Toni Costa (1986), Kym Digman (1991), Emma Wo (2015)
- Top 12: Lois Wise (1975), Cely De Castro (1977), Vanessa Dubois (1982), Nadine Tanega (1994)
- Top 15: Elithe Aguiar (1965), Judith Wolski (1966), Carol Seymour (1968), Stephanie Quintana (1969)
- Color key
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as runner-up
- Ended as one of the finalists or semifinalists
|Placement at Miss USA||Special awards at Miss USA||Notes|
|2017||Julie Kuo||Honolulu||20||Born in Taiwan|
|2016||Chelsea Hardin||Honolulu||24||1st runner-up|
|2015||Emma Wo||Honolulu||25||Top 11||Previously Miss Hawaii Teen USA 2008|
|2014||Moani Hara||Manoa||24||Previously Miss Hawaii's Outstanding Teen 2007|
|2013||Brianna Acosta||Waialua||21||To compete at Miss International 2015, representing Hawaii.|
|2012||Brandie Cazimero||Hawaii Kai||26|
|2011||Angela Byrd||Honolulu||21||Top 6|
|2010||Renee Mokihana Nobriga||Pupukea||25|
|2009||Aureana Tseu||Mililani||25||Previously Miss Hawaii Teen USA 1999|
|2008||Jonelle Layfield||Kaneohe||22||Sister of Ashley Layfield, Miss Hawaii 2007|
|2007||Chanel Wise||Honolulu||21||Top 10|
|2006||Radasha Ho'ohuli||Nanakuli||26||Represented Hawaiʻi at Miss World 2001|
|2004||Justine Michioka||Kapaa||22||Sister of Miss Hawaii USA 2003 Alicia Michioka|
|2003||Alicia Michioka||Kapaa||24||Semi-finalist||Sister of Miss Hawaii USA 2004 Justine Michioka. Later Mrs. Hawaii America 2010.|
|2000||Michelle Kaplan||Kona||23||Miss Congeniality|
|1999||Trini-Ann Kaopuiki||Honolulu||26||Previously Miss Hawaii Teen USA 1991|
|1997||Leslie-Ann Lum||Honolulu||26||did not compete||Succeeded Brook Lee as Miss Hawaii USA 1997 when Lee was crowned Miss USA 1997. Previously Miss Hawaii Teen USA 1987|
|Brook Mahealani Lee||Pearl City||26||Miss USA 1997||Miss Universe 1997|
|1996||Ku'ualoha Taylor||Hilo||25||Miss Congeniality|
|1995||Lynn Vesnefski||Honolulu||19||Style award|
|1994||Nadine Atangan Tanega||Honolulu||26||Semifinalist||Represented Hawaii at the 1990 Miss International 1990 pageant, placing 2nd runner up. She was also 3rd runner-up at 1992 Miss World America|
|1993||Kelly Hu||Honolulu||24||Top 6||Miss Photogenic||Actress, previously Miss Hawaii Teen USA 1985 and Miss Teen USA 1985|
|1992||Heather Hays||Honolulu||20||Currently a newscaster at the Fox affiliate in Dallas (KDFW)|
|1991||Kym Lehua Digmon||Honolulu||25||Semifinalist|
|1990||Leimomi Bacalso||Ewa Beach||20|
|1989||Julie Larson||Honolulu||21||Mrs. Hawaii America 1991|
|1983||Zoe Ann Roach||Waipahu|
|1981||Teri Ann Linn||Honolulu||20||4th runner-up||Actress, starred in The Bold and the Beautiful.|
|1979||Blanche Leialoha Maa||Kaneohe||20||2nd runner-up|
|1978||Judi Andersen||Honolulu||20||Miss USA 1978||1st runner-up at Miss Universe 1978|
|1977||Cely De Castro||Honolulu||23||Semifinalist|
|1975||Lois Mililani Wise||Honolulu||21||Semifinalist|
|1974||Joan Ottensmeyer[notes 2]||Kaneohe|
|1972||Tanya Wilson||Honolulu||21||Miss USA 1972||Top 12 semifinalist at Miss Universe 1972|
|1968||Carol Ann Seymour||Waianae||24||Semifinalist|
|1967||Nancy Victoria Banks||Honolulu|
|1966||Judith Anne Wolski||Honolulu||18||Semifinalist|
|1963||Susan Molina||Honolulu||18||Semifinalist in Miss World USA 1963|
|1962||Macel Wilson||Honolulu||19||Miss USA 1962||Top 15 semifinalist at Miss Universe 1962|
|1961||did not compete|
|1959||Patricia Visser||Honolulu||competed as a territory at Miss Universe|
|1958||Geri Hoo*||Honolulu||18||2nd runner-up at Miss Universe 1958|
|1956||did not compete|
|1953||Aileen Lauwae Stone||Honolulu||competed as a territory at Miss Universe|
|1952||Elza Kananionapua Edsman||Honolulu||19||1st runner-up at Miss Universe 1952|
- Notes to table
- "Hawaiian girl crowned as Miss Teen". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. January 23, 1985. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Kelly Ann Hu of Hawaii was crowned Miss Teen USA 1985 on Tuesday night in Miami and won $100,000 worth of prizes that go with the title."Michigan crowned Miss USA". The Wichita Eagle. February 20, 1993. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
The other three were Miss Hawaii, Kelly Hu; Miss Pennsylvania, Kimmarie Johnson; and Miss New Jersey, Amy Fissel. Also earlier, Hawaii's Kelly Hu was named most photogenic.
- "Miss USA is crowned the new Miss Universe". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. May 17, 1997. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Brook Lee, a 26-year-old from Pearl City, Hawaii, was chosen from among 74 delegates."Also noted.." San Jose Mercury News. February 6, 1997. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Miss Hawaii, Brook Lee, was crowned the new Miss USA on Wednesday night. Miss Idaho, Brandi Sherwood, was the first runner-up.
- Everington, Keoni (16 May 2017). "Julie Kuo first Taiwanese-born woman to compete in Miss USA contest". Taiwan News.
- "Brianna Acosta Crowned Miss Hawaii USA 2013". Beauty Pageant News. January 21, 2013. Retrieved October 21, 2012.
- Miss Hawaii USA 2012 Brandie Cazimero - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home - Honolulu
- "Kapa'a native crowned 2010 Mrs. Hawai'i". The Garden Island. August 5, 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "TV People". Newsday. Jul 31, 1988. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
The actress was voted fourth runner-up.
- "Miss South Africa Wins Title". Los Angeles Times. July 25, 1978. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "Ottensmeyer v. Baskin". FindACase. Retrieved July 2012. Check date values in:
|access-date=(help) (Appeals case April 2, 1981)
- "Miss Australia Named As 1972 Miss Universe". New York Times. July 30, 1972. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Miss United States, Tanya Wilson, 21, of Honolulu, had been among the 12 semifinalists selected earlier tonight.
- "Miss USA is beauty from Hawaii". Chicago Tribune. July 13, 1962. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
Tears of joy stream down the cheeks of Macel Wilson, Miss Hawaii, as she is crowned Miss USA in a beauty pageant in Miami Beach.