Miss Himalaya Pageant
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The inaugural Miss Himalaya Pageant was held in Dharamshala, India, on 12-13 October 2012. The purpose of the annual event is "to bring women from the entire Himalayan region onto one platform to celebrate the beautiful cultures, people, and nature of the Himalayan region."
The pageant is produced and directed by Lobsang Wangyal of Lobsang Wangyal Productions, which has also been producing the Miss Tibet Pageant since 2002. Lobsang Wangyal has been producing events since 2000 "to promote art, culture, and understanding."
The idea of "Miss Himalaya" was conceived by Lobsang Wangyal a few years ago. Work for the event has been going on since early 1996. The domain misshimalaya.com was registered in February 2010, and the event was publicly announced on 5 June 2011.
The Pageant accepts applications from women from the entire Himalayan region -- the ten Indian states of Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, and Tripura; the hill regions of Assam and West Bengal; and Bhutan, Nepal, and Tibet.
Miss Himalaya 2017
The fifth iteration of miss Himalaya pageant 2017 competition that was held on the 7th and the 8th of October this month in Himachal Pradesh has concluded and Dharamshala’s Preksha Rana has been crowned the Miss Himalaya Pageant winner for 2017. The competition saw a tough fight between the nine finalists, eight of which hailed from Himachal Pradesh itself. The ninth and the only finalists was Tashi Lhamo who was crowned the runner up for the Miss Himalaya Pageant 2017 that was held in Tipa in Mcleodganj, Himachal Pradesh. Palampur girl Palak Thakur ended up the second runner up.
A cash prize of 1 lakh was awarded to the winner Miss Himalaya Preksha Rana while Tashi Lhamo and Palak Thakur took 50 and 25 thousand respectively. The winner of last year’s Miss Himalaya Pageant Ayushi Sethi passed on the crown to the current winner Preksha Rana. Monika Negi from Rampur, Himachal Pradesh took away the award for Miss Photogenic which was decided by public voting.
About Preksha Rana, Miss Himalaya 2017 | Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh Himachal Pradesh’s very own Preksha Rana is a 21 year old B.A. literature student who was raised by a single mother. She was educated in the Mount Carmel School in Gaggal, Himachal Pradesh. Speaking exclusively to Chandigarh Metro the Miss Himalaya Pageant winner Preksha Rana said that she never had any kind of inclination towards modelling. The first sign that she can make it came in the form of a contract from Amazon India. She has been a fashion model for a clothing line in Amazon India. The Miss Himalaya Pageant 2017 winner is a classically trained Bhartnatyam and Kathak dancer and has won numerous awards in dance events in Himachal Pradesh.
When asked about how she intends to spend her prize money she won from the Miss Himalaya Pageant in Himachal Pradesh she emotionally replied that she gave it to her mother. Her mother has been an inspiration to her and always does whatever she can to fulfil her dreams. Being a single mother, she never let any of her three kids feel the absence of a father. Preksha hopes she grows up to be as strong as her mother has always been.
She added “I want the women of Himachal Pradesh and other Himalayan regions to know that we can make it big. With platforms like Miss Himalaya Pageant 2017 we have the ultimate launch pad which can give a strong kick start to our careers.”
Miss Himalaya 2016
Miss Himalaya 2015
Miss Himalaya 2014
The second edition of Miss Himalaya Pageant 2014 was concluded in McLeod Ganj on Sunday night, 5 October 2014. Twenty-two-year-old environmental science student Jyoti Dogra won the pageant  from among four other contestants. Shikha Sharma, a twenty-year-old BA student was declared First Runner-up, and twenty-two-year-old Dawa Dema, a management student was the Second Runner-up.
Jyoti won one lakh (100,000) rupees with the title, while Shikha and Dawa won rupees 50,000 and 25,000 respectively.
Three of the five contestants -- Jyoti Dogra, Shikha Sharma and Priyanka Dogra -- were from Himachal Pradesh, while the other two -- Dawa Dema and Kuenzang Chodon -- were from Bhutan.
List of contestants
|Dawa Dema ||22||Thimphu, Bhutan|
|Jyoti Dogra ||22||Bhagsu Nag, India|
|Kunezang Choden||23||Thimphu, Bhutan|
|Priyanka Dogra||24||Bilaspur, India|
|Shikha Sharma ||20||Dharamshala, India|
Miss Himalaya 2013
The Miss Himalaya Pageant 2013 was not conducted due to lack of funds.
Miss Himalaya 2012
Twenty-three-year-old Rinchen Dolma from Sikkim was crowned the Miss Himalaya 2012 at the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts in McLeod Ganj on 13 October 2012. Dolma was determined the winner among the five contestants by a panel of three judges.
List of contestants
|Kunga Tseten ||Sikkim, India|
|Rachna Dhiman ||Kangra, India|
|Rinchen Dolma ||Sikkim, India|
|Thinley Yangchen ||Spiti, India|
The winner will receive India rupees: 100,000.00; the first runner-up rupees: 50,000.00; and the second runner-up rupees: 25,000.00.
- "About the Miss Himalaya Pageant". 5 January 2012. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "First Miss Himalaya pageant in October at McLeodganj". Daily Post India. 14 August 2012. Archived from the original on 20 January 2013. Retrieved 24 September 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Miss Himalaya Pageant to be held in 2012". 5 January 2012. Archived from the original on 17 May 2012. Retrieved 13 May 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Tibetan Culture Remains Strong". Buddhist Art News. 15 January 2012. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Lobsang Wangyal Productions". Lobsang Wangyal Productions. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Part 4: Tibetan Culture in the 21st Century". Michael Dunham. 16 January 2012. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "Tenzin Yangkyi Crowned Miss Tibet". 6 June 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Terms and conditions to enter Miss Himalaya Pageant 2017". Miss Himalaya Pageant. 6 June 2011. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Village lass wins Miss Himalaya Pageant 2014 crown". Tibet Sun . 6 October 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Jyoti Dogra Archived 6 October 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- India, Press Trust of (11 October 2012). "After Miss Tibet, now Miss Himalya pageant to be held". Business Standard News. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Terms and conditions to enter Miss Himalaya Pageant 2012". December 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Empowering Footscray and Tibetan beauty - 3 July 2012
- "Miss Himalaya pageant to showcase mountain beauty" - Times of India, 25 January 2012 (print article)
- "'Miss Himalaya' pageant to promote Himalayan culture" - Hindustan Times, 26 January 2012 (print article)
- Miss Himalaya Pageant to be held in 2012 - Reach Ladakh, 5 January 2012
- Tibetan Culture in the 21st Century
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Miss Himalaya Pageant contestants
- Miss Himalaya Pageant press conference 11 October 2012
- Miss Himalaya Pageant dinner[permanent dead link] 11 October 2012 -
- Miss Himalaya Pageant Talent Night 12 October 2012 -
- Miss Himalaya Pageant Finale 13 October 2012 -
Asia Beauty Pageants
- ATV Miss Asia Pageant - ATV, Hong Kong
- Femina Miss India - Femina magazine, India
- Miss Asia Pacific International
- Miss Asia Pacific World - Elite Asia, South Korea
- Miss Himalaya Pageant - Lobsang Wangyal Productions, India
- Miss Kerala - Impresario, India
- Miss Tibet Pageant - Lobsang Wangyal Productions, India