Miss LA Chinatown
Miss Los Angeles Chinatown (Chinese: 洛杉磯華埠小姐) has been a 54 year old time honored tradition and one of the most anticipated events in Los Angeles. Every year the contest crowns a select group of accomplished young women from the greater Los Angeles area of California as cultural ambassadors to the community. Every year the black tie gala garners an attendance of more than 500, including numerous notable public and business leaders. For the 2020 competition, in line with the changing times and modernizing what the Chinese Chamber of Commerce Los Angeles (CCCLA) stands for, CCCLA is reinventing the contest. In addition to adding a Mr. Chinatown competition, Miss Chinatown will be a contest to showcase the next generation of leaders in the Chinese American community, role models who embody principles of equality, integrity, and vision. The reigning court’s duty will ultimately be to serve the community.
Aimed to empower the next generation of Chinese and Chinese Americans in Greater Los Angeles, the 2020 Miss and Mr. Chinatown contest will provide an important foundation for growth and success through mentorship, networking opportunities and professional development. The winners will join an extraordinary network of accomplished Miss Chinatowns who are leaders in their respective fields.
The current Miss LA Chinatown 2019 is Kellie Chin.
The program is sponsored by the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles. Miss and Mr. Chinatown will be responsible to select an organization(s) that is related to the cause they want to benefit for their year of reign. Together with the support of the CCCLA, they will be responsible to design a brand calendar for the year of events they will personally lead the court to participate in, to support that organization in a direct and impactful manner. Miss and Mr. Chinatown will be responsible for launching an online blog hosted on the CCCLA website, where they can reflect on their charitable work, promote and educate the public about their cause, and rally support of the Chinese American community. Miss Chinatown and her court attend many events during the year, including the annual Golden Dragon New Year Parade.
The pageant was started in 1963. In addition to the queen, four princesses are chosen each year. In previous years, there were also a Miss Firecracker, Miss Personality, Miss Friendship, Miss Teen Chinatown, and Miss Chinese New Year.
Eligibility of Applicants:
– Between the ages of 18 to 26 old on Pageant Date
– Education with High School Diploma or Equivalent Education (the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) and the General Educational Development (GED)), or Above
– 25% Chinese ancestry
– Must be fluent in English
– U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
– Resident of the Greater Los Angeles area
List of Miss Los Angeles Chinatown titleholders
|Year||Name of Miss Los Angeles Chinatown||Chinese name (洛杉磯華埠小姐冠軍)||Notes|
|1972||Lai Fong Wong|
|1974||Betty Kym Young|
|1976||Donna Anne Lee||李藍月|
|1980||Jacqueline Tom Quon||方美蘭|
|1984||Susan P. Wan||溫惠珍|
|1988||Lisa Chen Kwong||陳毓英|
|1993||Jeannie Chan Yee|
|1994||Cindy Fong Lai|
|2011||Xiayi Shirley Zhang||章夏怡|
|2012||Lauren Zhou Weinberger||周慧倫|||
- Miss Chinatown USA
- Miss Chinese International
- Miss Chinese Toronto
- Miss Chinese Vancouver
- Miss NY Chinese
- "2019 Miss LA Chinatown Court. (Queen and Miss Photogenic Kellie Chin)". misslachinatown.com. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- 2009 Miss Los Angeles Chinatown Pageant Program, January 17, 2009
- "Golden Dragon Parade". Lagoldendragonparade.com. Archived from the original on 2013-09-01. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "54th Miss Chinatown Pageant". ladreams.com. January 2019. Retrieved April 4, 2019.(Inaugural year in 1963)
- "Past Winners". misslachinatown.com. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Chamber of Commerce Newsletter Archived 2011-07-27 at the Wayback Machine, Chinese Chamber of Commerce, February 2008
- Lucia Dunn, Miss Los Angeles Chinatown Learns about Chinese Culture Through Shen Yun , The Epoch Times, January 10, 2010
- 2010 Miss Los Angeles Chinatown, AudreyMagazine, February 17, 2010
- "Welcome to Miss LA Chinatown Pageant". Misslachinatown.com. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Lowenfeld, Jonah (February 23, 2012). "Chinatown Queen dishes on her Jewish roots". jewishjournal.com. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- "Miss Chinatown and Court Presented to Supervisors". sgvjournal.com. 2013. Retrieved April 4, 2019.(48th Annual Miss LA Chinatown Queen Wendy Shu)
- Kurzweil, Anthony (May 15, 2014). "Miss Chinatown Katrina Lee Brings Beauty, Business and Brains Together". ktla.comcom. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- "Miss Chinatown". globaltimes.cn. February 12, 2015. Retrieved July 26, 2019.(50th Miss LA Chinatown Pageant)
- "Catherine Liang". common ground.wapow.la. June 29, 2018. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
|This beauty pageant article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|