This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Miss Oklahoma competition selects a winner to compete on behalf of Oklahoma in the Miss America pageant. Miss Oklahoma has won the Miss America crown on five occasions. Also, in the years when city representatives were common, Norma Smallwood won, competing as Miss Tulsa, giving the state of Oklahoma a total of six crowns. Oklahoma is also one of three states to win the Miss America title back to back for two years.
Gallery of past titleholders
The following is a visual summary of the past results of Miss Oklahoma titleholders presented in the table below. The year in parentheses indicates year of the Miss America competition in which the placement and/or award was garnered.
- Miss Americas: Norma Smallwood (1926)**, Jane Anne Jayroe (1967), Susan Powell (1981), Shawntel Smith (1996), Jennifer Berry (2006), Lauren Nelson (2007)
- 1st runners-up: Bettye Cornelia Avert (1939), Betty Thompson (2012)
- 2nd runners-up: Mary Nancy Denner (1958), Anita Bryant (1959), Lori Kelley (1989), Casey Preslar (2003), Alicia Clifton (2013), Kelsey Griswold (2014)
- 3rd runners-up: N/A
- 4th runners-up: Donna Briggs (1948), Louise O'Brien (1951), Ann Campbell (1956), Nancy Chapman (1983), DuSharme Carter (1993), Emoly West (2011)
- Top 5: Virginia Howard (1927)**
- Top 10: Willie Mae Stockton (1924)*, Bobby Jene Simmons (1952), Judy Adams (1971), Andrea Hanson (1974), Tamara Marler (1990), Cynthia White (1991), Julie Payne (1999), Kelley Scott (2004), Elizabeth Kinney (2005), Alexandra Eppler (2015), Georgia Frazier (2016)
- Top 12: Taylor Treat (2010), Sarah Klein (2017)
- Top 15: Ada Martyne Wood (1940), Mifaunwy Dolores Shunatona (1941), Ashley Thompson (2018)
- Top 20: Kaci Hundley (2002)
- Top 23: Mary Dean Overly (1923)*, Catherine Crosby (1923)**
- Preliminary Lifestyle and Fitness: Norma Smallwood (1926)**, Ann Campbell (1956), Lauren Nelson (2007), Emoly West (2011), Kelsey Griswold (2014), Alexandra Eppler (2015)
- Preliminary Talent: Jane Anne Jayroe (1967), Judy Adams (1971), Susan Powell (1981) (tie), Lori Kelley (1989), Tamara Marler (1990), Julie Payne (1999), Casey Preslar (2003), Jennifer Berry (2006), Betty Thompson (2012), Alicia Clifton (2013)
- Non-finalist Talent: Mary Ann Hazelton (1960), Jill Elmore (1980), Mignon Merchant (1987), Leesa Cornett (1988), Amy Duncan (1997), Kelli Masters (1998), Kristin Steveson (2001)
- Miss Congeniality: Mifaunwy Dolores Shunatona (1941), Shirley Barbour (1953)
- America's Choice: Taylor Treat (2010), Betty Thompson (2012)
- Quality of Life Award Winners: Taylor Treat (2010)
- Quality of Life Award 1st Runners-up: Jennifer Berry (2006)
- Quality of Life Award Finalists: Alexandra Eppler (2015), Sarah Klein (2017)
- Special Judges' Award: Susan Supernaw (1972)
* Competed as Miss Oklahoma City
** Competed as Miss Tulsa
- Declared as winner
- Ended as a runner-up
- Ended as a finalist or semi-finalist
|Year||Name||Hometown||Age||Local Title||Miss America Talent||Placement at Miss America||Special scholarships at Miss America||Notes|
|2019||Addison Price||Edmond||20||Miss Tulsa||Jazz Dance||Previously Miss Oklahoma's Outstanding Teen 2016 |
Assumed state title from Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2017, Nicole Jia
|2018||Ashley Thompson||Oklahoma City||23||Miss Edmond LibertyFest||Tap Dance, "Like That"||Top 15|
|2017||Triana Browne||Tulsa||24||Miss Oklahoma City||Vocal, "Summertime"||Later Miss Oklahoma USA 2019|
2nd runner-up at Miss USA 2019 pageant
|2016||Sarah Klein||Tulsa||24||Miss Tulsa||Piano||Top 12||Quality of Life Award Finalist||2nd runner up at National Sweetheart 2015 pageant|
|2015||Georgia Frazier||Tulsa||23||Miss Ada||Vocal, “Happy Days Are Here Again"||Top 10||Previously Miss Oklahoma's Outstanding Teen 2009|
Top 16 at National Sweetheart 2014 pageant
|2014||Alexandra Eppler||Edmond||24||Miss Enid||Dance, “Titanium"||Top 10||Preliminary Lifestyle & Fitness Award
Quality of Life Award Finalist
|2013||Kelsey Griswold||Tulsa||20||Miss Bricktown||Vocal, "Everybody Says Don't" from Anyone Can Whistle||2nd runner-up||Preliminary Lifestyle & Fitness Award|
|2012||Alicia Clifton||Oklahoma City||20||Miss Edmond LibertyFest||Tap Dance, "Can't Buy Me Love"||2nd runner-up||Preliminary Talent Award||Previously Miss Oklahoma's Outstanding Teen 2008|
Top 10 at Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2009
|2011||Betty Thompson||Davenport||22||Miss Oklahoma State University||Irish Step Dance, "Warriors" by Ronan Hardiman||1st runner-up||America's Choice
Preliminary Talent Award
|2010||Emoly West||Edmond||24||Miss Edmond LibertyFest||Ballet en Pointe, "Time" by Billy Porter||4th runner-up||Preliminary Lifestyle & Fitness Award|
|2009||Taylor Treat||Ada||22||Miss University of Oklahoma||Ballet en Pointe, "Palladio"||Top 12||America's Choice
Quality of Life Award Winner
|2008||Kelsey Cartwright||Collinsville||21||Miss Keystone Lake||Lyrical Dance|
|2007||Makenna Smith||Oklahoma City||24||Miss Oklahoma City University||Vocal, "Wheels of a Dream" from Ragtime|
|2006||Lindsey Miller||Miss Grand Lake||Jazz Vocal||1st runner-up at Miss Oklahoma 2006, assumed title when Lauren Nelson won Miss America 2007|
|Lauren Nelson||Lawton||20||Miss Oklahoma State Fair||Vocal, "You'll Be in My Heart"||Winner ||Preliminary Lifestyle & Fitness Award||Previously Miss Oklahoma's Outstanding Teen 2004|
|2005||Jennifer Warren||21||Miss Green Country||Vocal||1st runner-up at Miss Oklahoma 2005, assumed title when Jennifer Berry won Miss America 2006|
|Jennifer Berry||Tulsa||22||Miss Grand Lake||Ballet en Pointe, "Within"||Winner||Preliminary Talent Award
Quality of Life Award 1st runner-up
|2004||Elizabeth Kinney||Mooreland||22||Miss Oklahoma State Fair||Tap Dance, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"||Top 10|
|2003||Kelley Scott||Owasso||23||Miss Oklahoma State Fair||Vocal, "Son of a Preacher Man"||Top 10|
|2002||Casey Preslar||Tulsa||22||Miss Grand Lake||Jazz Vocal, "You'll Have to Swing It (Mr. Paganini)"||2nd runner-up||Preliminary Talent Award|
|2001||Kaci Hundley||Enid||21||Miss Oklahoma State Fair||Vocal, "Crying"||Top 20|
|2000||Kristin Steveson||Broken Arrow||23||Miss Tulsa State Fair||Classical Vocal, "Sempre Libera" from La traviata||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1999||Daneka Allen||Oklahoma City||23||Miss Stroud||Vocal, "Respect"|
|1998||Julie Payne||Grandfield||23||Miss Collinsville||Tap Dance, "Hound Dog"||Top 10||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1997||Kelli Masters||Midwest City||24||Miss Oklahoma City University||Baton Twirling, "Gonna Fly Now"||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1996||Amy Duncan||Oklahoma City||23||Miss University of Oklahoma||Dramatic Vocal, "A Piece of Sky"||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1995||Meighen Bradfield||Assumed title when Shawntel Smith won Miss America 1996|
|Shawntel Smith||Muldrow||24||Miss Tulsa State Fair||Vocal, "The Woman in the Moon" from A Star Is Born||Winner|
|1994||Tiffany Craig||Norman||24||Miss Norman||Vocal, "If Only"|
|1993||Elizabeth Moseley||Norman||22||Miss Shawnee||Flute Solo, "Dueling Banjos"|
|1992||DuSharme Carter||Oklahoma City||21||Miss Oklahoma City University||Vocal, "Keepin' Out of Mischief Now"||4th runner-up||Later Miss Oklahoma USA 1995|
Top 12 at Miss USA 1995 pageant
|1991||Gina Lynne Smith||Stillwater||21||Miss Stroud||Vocal Medley, "Somewhere"|
|1990||Cynthia White||Oklahoma City||24||Miss Stroud||Piano Solo, "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini"||Top 10|
|1989||Tamara Marler||Tulsa||26||Miss Norman||Vocal, "Since I Fell for You"||Top 10||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1988||Lori Kelley||Clinton||23||Miss Norman||Classical Vocal, "Una Voce Poco Fa" from The Barber of Seville||2nd runner-up||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1987||Leesa Cornett||Newcastle||20||Miss Norman||Vocal, "If He Walked Into My Life" from Mame||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1986||Mignon Merchant||Oklahoma City||25||Miss Lake Hudson||Stand-up Comedy||Non-finalist Talent Award||Previously Miss Oklahoma USA 1983 |
Top 10 at Miss USA 1983 pageant
|1985||Felicia Ferguson||Oklahoma City||24||Miss Grand Lake||Vocal, "You Don't Know Me"|
|1984||Julie Sunday||Owasso||21||Miss Owasso||Piano|
|1983||Trelynda Kerr||Moore||21||Miss Grand Lake||Country Vocal Medley, "Stand by Your Man"|
|1982||Nancy Chapman||Altus||21||Miss Oklahoma City||Piano Solo, "Fireworks by Debussy"||4th runner-up|
|1981||April Clayton||Cameron||22||Miss Tulsa State Fair||Ballet en Pointe, "The Blue Danube"||Toured with Miss America USO Troupe|
|1980||Kathleen Allin||2nd runner-up at Miss Oklahoma 1980, assumed title when Susan Powell won Miss America 1981|
|Susan Powell||Elk City||21||Miss Oklahoma City||Classical Vocal, "The Telephone Aria"||Winner||Preliminary Talent Award (tie)|
|1979||Jill Elmore||Tulsa||23||Miss Grand Lake||Classical Vocal, "Art Is Calling For Me" from The Enchantress by Victor Herbert||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1978||Kendi Brown||Oklahoma City||21||Miss Warr Acres||Tap Dance, Medley of songs by Cole Porter|
|1977||Ellen Wight||Tulsa||22||Miss Oklahoma City University||Classical Vocal, "The Jewel Song" from Faust||Died in December 1979|
|1976||Lucia Miller||Buffalo||21||Miss Tulsa State Fair||Trumpet Solo, "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey"|
|1975||Lisa Reagan||Oklahoma City||19||Miss Warr Acres||Vocal Medley, "As Time Goes By" & "I Got Love"||Former wife of former congressman, Mickey Edwards|
|1974||Debbie Knight||Warr Acres||22||Miss Warr Acres||Piano Solo, "Minuet in G Major"|
|1973||Andrea Hanson||Tahlequah||21||Miss Tulsa State Fair||Piano / Vocal, "The Homeland Aria" from Die Fledermaus||Top 10|
|1972||Debbie Giannopoulos||Oklahoma City||20||Miss Warr Acres||Classical vocal from Carmen||Contestant at Miss Teenage America 1968 pageant|
|1971||Susan Supernaw||Tulsa||20||Miss Phillips University||Acrobatic Jazz Ballet||Special Judges' Award|
|1970||Judy Adams||Cushing||20||Miss Oklahoma State University||Violin, "The Hot Canary" arranged by Florian ZaBach||Top 10||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1969||Jeanne Gambrell||Tulsa||22||Miss University of Tulsa||Ballet / Jazz Dance, "Hair" & "Aquarius" from Hair|
|1968||Beverly Drew||Harrah||22||Miss Shawnee||Vocal, "Step to the Rear"|
|1967||Carolyn Denton||Muskogee||19||Miss Oklahoma State University||Vocal, "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows"|
|1966||Sandy Ferguson||Miss Lawton||Assumed title when Jayroe won Miss America 1967|
|Jane Anne Jayroe||Laverne||19||Miss Oklahoma City||Vocal / Orchestra Conducting, "1-2-3"||Winner||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1965||Sandra Curtis||Tulsa||20||Miss Tulsa||Dramatic Reading, "Sorry Wrong Number"|
|1964||Jane Hitch||Guymon||18||Miss Guymon||Dance|
|1963||Cheryl Semrad Hassman||Waukomis||Miss Okeene||Speech, "May I Teach Others to Live"|
|1962||Billi Kay Smith||Stroud||19||Miss Stroud||Dramatic Reading|
|1961||Dana Darlene Reno||Stigler||20||Miss Stigler||Oration with Indian Sign Language|
|1960||Donna Kay Creed||Enid||20||Miss Enid||Vocal, "The Sound of Music"|
|1959||Mary Ann Hazelton||Tulsa||19||Piano||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1958||Anita Bryant||Tulsa||18||Vocal, "When the Boys Talk About the Girls"||2nd runner-up|
|1957||Mary Nancy Denner||Alva||Poetry Recitation, "The Ballad of the Harp-Weaver" by Edna St. Vincent Millay||2nd runner-up|
|1955||Ann Campbell||Oklahoma City||Speech & Furniture Design Display||4th runner-up||Preliminary Lifestyle & Fitness Award|
|1954||Charlavan Baker||Oklahoma City||Dress Design|
|1952||Shirley Barbour||Tulsa||Drama||Miss Congeniality|
|1951||Bobby Jene Simmons||Oklahoma City||Classical Vocal, "Je Veux Vivre" from Roméo et Juliette||Top 10|
|1950||Louise O'Brien||Tulsa||Vocal, "Twas Only An Irishman's Dream"||4th runner-up|
|1949||Georgine R. Leeka||Tulsa||Vocal|
|1948||Donna Briggs||Tulsa||Painting Display||4th runner-up|
|1943||Joan Marceille Hawk||Oklahoma City|
|1941||Mifaunwy Dolores Shunatona||Tulsa||Top 15||Miss Congeniality|
|1940||Ada Martyne Wood||Oklahoma City||Top 15|
|1939||Bettye Cornelia Avert||Oklahoma City||Original Piano & Vocal, "Wondering & Dreaming"||1st runner-up|
|1938||Marjorie Ann Adams||Ada|
|1933||Joanne Alcorn||16||Withdrew from the competition due to appendicitis|
|1927||Virginia Howard||Tulsa||Miss Tulsa||Top 5||Competed under local title at Miss America pageant|
|1926||Norma Smallwood||Tulsa||17||Miss Tulsa||Winner||Swimsuit & Evening Gown||First Native American to win Miss America|
Competed under local title at Miss America pageant
|1925||Fern Marlow||Oklahoma City||Miss Oklahoma City||Multiple Oklahoma representatives|
Contestants competed under local title at Miss America pageant
|Sue Starkey||Tulsa||Miss Tulsa|
|1924||Willie Mae Stockton||Oklahoma City||Miss Oklahoma City||Top 10||Multiple Oklahoma representatives|
Contestants competed under local title at Miss America pageant
|Rose Everett||Tulsa||Miss Tulsa|
|1923||Mary Dean Overly||Oklahoma City||Miss Oklahoma City||Top 23||Multiple Oklahoma representatives|
Contestants competed under local title at Miss America pageant
|Catherine Crosby||Tulsa||Miss Tulsa||Top 23|
- Reavis, Chase (June 8, 2019). "Miss Oklahoma 2019 title goes to Addison Price, Miss Tulsa". Tulsa World.
- "Nicole Jia Wins Miss America's Outstanding Teen". Miss Oklahoma Organization.
Miss Oklahoma’s Outstanding Teen first runner-up, Addison Price will take over as Miss Oklahoma’s Outstanding Teen 2016.
- Stewart, Kristen (August 8, 2016). "Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2017 Crowned in Orlando". PR Newswire.
- "Photo gallery: Miss Edmond LibertyFest, Ashley Thompson, wins Miss Oklahoma competition". Tulsa World. June 9, 2018.
- Serpico, Erin (September 8, 2018). "Miss New York crowned Miss America 2019 in Atlantic City". Press of Atlantic City.
- "Triana Browne, Miss Oklahoma City, crowned Miss Oklahoma 2017". TulsaWorld.com. June 10, 2017.
- "Billings wins Miss Oklahoma Teen USA crown in Shawnee". Woodward News. October 24, 2018.
- "Sarah Klein Crowned Miss Oklahoma 2016". newson6.com. June 13, 2016.
- "Miss America 2017 will be one of these 52 contestants". AL.com. September 6, 2016.
- "Tulsa woman crowned Miss Oklahoma". www.edmondsun.com. June 15, 2015.
- Garber, McKensie (August 17, 2013). "Former Miss Oklahoma Outstanding Teen is a peach". Oracle. Tulsa, OK: Oral Roberts University.
- Covington, Hannah (May 31, 2015). "Nationally renowned trainer makes an 'art' out of pageant fitness". Tulsa World.
- "Road to Miss America 2013 : Miss Oklahoma crowned". Global Beauties. June 10, 2012. Archived from the original on June 15, 2012.
- "Next in Line for Greatness". Pageantry Magazine. August 20, 2008.
- "Miss Oklahoma State University Betty Thompson Crowned Miss Oklahoma". News on 6. June 12, 2011.
- Associated Press (2008-06-08). "Collinsville woman captures "Miss Oklahoma" title". KTEN. Retrieved 2008-06-08.[permanent dead link]
- "UCO's Lauren Nelson Crowned Miss Oklahoma 2006". University of Central Oklahoma. June 19, 2006.
- Associated Press (January 30, 2007). "Miss Oklahoma Lauren Nelson Wins Miss America 2007 Pageant". FOX News.com.
- "Lauren Nelson bio". Miss Oklahoma Pageant Scholarship Funds, Inc. Archived from the original on September 23, 2006.
- Bobby Ross Jr., "Months after baptism, Jennifer Berry wins Miss American pageant" Archived 2010-05-26 at the Wayback Machine in Christian Chronicle, 2006 January 25.
- OKCU Focus - Summer 2003)
- "Miss Delaware to Give Atlantic City Beauties Run for U. S. Honors". Wilmington, Delaware: The Morning News. September 4, 1941.
- "Miss America Timeline: 1901–1950". PBS.