The Miss Oregon competition is a regional scholarship competition and beauty pageant that selects the representative for the US state of Oregon in the Miss America pageant. The annual event includes contestants from across the state and awards scholarships to the participants.
Abigail Hayes of Damascus was crowned Miss Oregon 2021 on June 19, 2021 at Seaside Civic and Convention Center in Seaside, Oregon. She will compete for the title of Miss America 2022 at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut in December 2021.
Gallery of past titleholders
The event began in 1947 as the Miss Oregon Pageant and was founded by the merchants in the coastal city of Seaside. Miss Oregon was designated the official State Hostess in 1969. In 2001, Katie Harman was crowned Miss Oregon and went on to win the Miss America crown, becoming the only Miss Oregon winner of the national event. The event is now titled the Miss Oregon Scholarship Pageant.
The event is held at the Seaside Civic and Convention Center at the Oregon Coast with local Seaside merchants as the primary sponsors of the annual contest. The two-day event narrows the competition down to ten finalists on the first day before selecting a winner on the second day. Events at the event include an evening wear competition, talent competition, bathing suit competition, and a competition in casual wear. The competition includes an interview on-stage as the final portion before a winner is selected.
In addition to the chance to become Miss America, the winner also receives scholarships. Contests range in age from 17 to 24, and must first win local competitions before qualifying for the Miss Oregon contest.
The following is a visual summary of the past results of Miss Oregon titleholders at the national Miss America pageants/competitions. The year in parentheses indicates the year of the national competition during which a placement and/or award was garnered, not the year attached to the contestant's state title.
- Miss America: Katie Harman (2002)
- 1st runners-up: Dorothy Mae Johnson (1956), Emily John Orton (1996)
- 2nd runners-up: Patricia Regan Leines (1997)
- 3rd runners-up: Marjean Kay Langley (1969), Elizabeth Simmons (1994)
- 4th runners-up: N/A
- Top 10: Patti Throop (1954), Judith Hansen (1958), Martha Wyatt (1963), Sue Pack (1966), Suzanne Bunker (1978), Julie Ross (1982), Tamara Ann Finch (1998)
- Top 15: Jo Ann Amorde (1947), Joyce Davis (1948), CC Barber (2010), Stephenie Steers (2011)
- Preliminary Lifestyle and Fitness: Patricia Regan Leines (1997), CC Barber (2010)
- Preliminary Private Interview Award: Shivali Kadam (2020)
- Preliminary Talent: Judith Hansen (1958), Patricia Regan Leines (1997), Katie Harman (2002)
- Non-finalist Interview: April Robinson (2004)
- Non-finalist Talent: Rosemary Doolen (1961), Lynn Dee Grenz (1972), Sandra Lynn Herring (1973), Shan Moss (1977), Teresa Richardson (1981), Stephanie "Jill" Wymer (1984), Kari Virding (2008)
- Miss Congeniality: N/A
- Quality of Life Award Finalists: Lynette Boggs (1990)
- Steinway Talent Award: Tamara Ann Finch (1998)
- STEM Scholarship Award Finalists: Rebecca Anderson (2015)
- Tiffany Phillips Memorial Scholar Athlete Award: Jennifer Sisco-Moore (1999), Angela Reed (2000)
- Declared as winner
- Ended as a runner-up
- Ended as a finalist or semi-finalist
|Year||Name||Hometown||Age||Local Title||Miss America Talent||Placement at Miss America||Special scholarships at Miss America||Notes|
|2021||Abigail Hayes||Damascus||20||Miss Emerald Valley||Vocal/Piano||To be announced|
|2019–20[a]||Shivali Kadam||Tigard||25||Miss Portland||Vocal, “Reflection" from Mulan||Preliminary Private Interview Award||First Oregon titleholder of Indian heritage|
Previously Miss Oregon Sweetheart 2018
3rd runner-up at National Sweetheart 2018 pageant
|2018||Taylor Ballard||Portland||25||Miss NW Wonderland||Jazz Dance, "Salute"|
|2017||Harley Emery||Springfield||20||Miss Lane County||Classical Piano, "Moonlight Escapade"||Previously Miss Oregon's Outstanding Teen 2013|
|2016||Alexis Mather||Astoria||21||Miss Portland||Bravura Performance, “Nessun Dorma”|
|2015||Ali Wallace||Portland||21||Lyrical Dance, "Latch" by Sam Smith||Daughter of Miss Oregon 1987, Tamara Fazzolari|
2nd runner-up at Miss Oregon USA 2018 pageant
|2014||Rebecca Anderson||Oregon City||23||Miss Cascade||Vocal, "For Good"||STEM Scholarship Finalist|
|2013||Allison Cook||Klamath Falls||19||Miss Southern Gem||Electro-Acoustic Violin, "Let's Get It Started Remix" by The Black-Eyed Peas||Later Miss Oregon USA 2021|
|2012||Nichole Mead||Newport||24||Miss Three Rivers||Lyrical Dance, "What's Love Got to Do With It"||Contestant at National Sweetheart 2011 pageant|
Successor to the crown after Berry resigned
|Rachel Berry||Burbank, CA||24||Miss Willamette Valley||Tap Dance||N/A||Resigned July 19, 2012, due to residency ineligibility|
|2011||Caroline McGowan||Waukee, IA||20||Miss Linn-Benton County||Operatic Vocal, "Chanson Boheme" from Carmen||Eligible as student at Oregon State University|
|2010||Stephenie Steers||Klamath Falls||24||Miss Multnomah||Vocal, "Something to Talk About"||Top 15||Voted into the Top 15 as a "Contestants' Choice" finalist selected by her fellow contestants|
|2009||CC Barber||Scappoose||23||Miss Tri Valley||Dance, "Bleeding Love"||Top 15||Preliminary Swimsuit Award||Contestant at National Sweetheart 2006 pageant |
Voted into the Top 15 as a "Contestants' Choice" finalist selected by her fellow contestants
|2008||Danijela Krstić||Beaverton||24||Miss Tri Valley||Belly Dancing|
|2007||Kari Virding||Portland||24||Miss Portland||Vocal, "The Girl in 14G"||Non-finalist Talent Award||Previously Miss Oregon Teen USA 2000|
|2006||Donilee McGinnis||Scappoose||24||Miss Willamette Valley||Tap Dance, "I Gotcha"|
|2005||Lucy Fleck||Portland||20||Miss Portland||Tap Dance, "Turn the Beat Around"||Contestant at National Sweetheart 2003 pageant|
|2004||Brook Roberts||Roseburg||21||Miss Douglas County||Vocal, "All That Jazz"||Contestant on The Amazing Race 17|
|2003||April Robinson||Gresham||22||Miss Multnomah County||Acapella Tap Dance||Non-finalist Interview Award|
|2002||Brita Stream||Eugene||22||Miss Linn-Benton||Vocal, "As If We Never Said Goodbye" from Sunset Boulevard|
|2001||Heidi Rickey||Lincoln City||19||Miss Yamhill County||Vocal||N/A||Assumed title after Harmon was crowned Miss America 2002|
|Katie Harman||Gresham||21||Miss Portland||Classical Vocal, "O Mio Babbino Caro"||Winner||Preliminary Talent Award||Contestant at National Sweetheart 2000 pageant|
|2000||Angela Day Brink||Roseburg||22||Miss Douglas County||Ballet, "Angel"|
|1999||Angela Reed||Portland||23||Miss Tri-Valley||Vocal, "You Don't Know Me"||Tiffany Phillips Memorial Scholar Athlete Award||Top 10 at National Sweetheart 1997 & 1998 pageants|
|1998||Jennifer Sisco-Moore||Eugene||23||Classical Vocal, "Una Voce Poco Fa" from The Barber of Seville||Tiffany Phillips Memorial Scholar Athlete Award|
|1997||Tamara Ann Finch||Myrtle Creek||24||Miss Douglas County||Classical Piano, "Scherzo No. 2 in B Flat Minor" by Chopin||Top 10||Steinway Talent Award Winner|
|1996||Patricia Regan Leines||Medford||24||Miss Tri-Valley||Classical Vocal, "Chacun le Sait" from La fille du régiment||2nd runner-up||Preliminary Swimsuit Award
Preliminary Talent Award
|1995||Emily John Orton||Creswell||19||Miss Linn-Benton||Classical Vocal, "Je dis que rien ne m'épouvante" from Carmen||1st runner-up|
|1994||Roberta Stenbeck||Roseburg||23||Miss Douglas County||Piano|
|1993||Elizabeth Simmons||Bandon||23||Miss Tri-Valley||Vocal, "Someone Else's Story" from Chess||3rd runner-up||Previously National Sweetheart 1992|
|1992||Sara Kristi Paulson||Portland||21||Miss Washington County||Vocal, "The Star-Spangled Banner"|
|1991||Carolyn Helen Ladd||Corvallis||24||Miss Linn-Benton||Vocal, "I Must Be a Star"|
|1990||Brittney Gae Thompson||Portland||20||Miss Tri-Valley||Vocal, "Break It to Me Gently"|
|1989||Lynette Boggs||25||Miss Portland||Vocal, "I Am Changing"||Quality Of Life Award Finalist||Served on the Board of Directors for the Miss America pageant|
Served on Las Vegas City Council and Clark County Commission
|1988||Anna Denise Jones||24||Miss Tri-Valley||Vocal, "Crazy"|
|1987||Tamara Fazzolari||21||Miss Portland||Tap Dance||Mother of Miss Oregon 2015, Ali Wallace|
|1986||Jana Svea Peterson||Newport||22||Miss Linn-Benton||Vocal Medley|
|1985||Dana Kocks||Ashland||21||Miss Rogue Valley||Classical Vocal, "Seguidilla" from Carmen|
|1984||Renee Bagley||Portland||22||Miss Willamette Valley||Popular Vocal, "Don't Cry Out Loud"|
|1983||Stephanie "Jill" Wymer||Sutherlin||22||Miss Douglas County||Popular Vocal, "Out Here on my Own" from Fame||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1982||Laura Matthys||Salem||21||Miss Linn-Benton||Rifle Twirling Routine, "Herzegovinian March"|
|1981||Julie Ross||Portland||20||Miss Portland||Classical Piano, "Toccata" by Prokofiev||Top 10|
|1980||Teresa Richardson||Forest Grove||20||Miss Multnomath County||Vocal, "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady||Non-finalist Talent Award||Sister of Miss Utah 1973, Brenda Richardson|
|1979||Tami Sanders||Roseburg||21||Miss Douglas County||Gymnastic Dance, "A Fifth of Beethoven"|
|1978||Amy White||Portland||20||Miss Portland||Musical Comedy Free Style Dance, Overture from Gypsy|
|1977||Suzanne Bunker||Forest Grove||21||Miss Portland||Classical Flute, "Fantasie for Flute"||Top 10|
|1976||Shan Moss||Nyssa||21||Miss Malheur County||Flute, "Concertino"||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1975||Betty Hupfer||Milwaukie||21||Miss Gresham||Dance, Music from The Unsinkable Molly Brown|
|1974||Juli Ann Berg||Eugene||21||Miss Lane County||Vocal, "Corner of the Sky" from Pippin||Daughter of Miss Oregon 1947, Jo Ann Amorde|
|1973||Nancy Jean Jackson||Nyssa||20||Miss Rogue Valley||Dramatic Interpretation from The Taming of the Shrew|
|1972||Sandra Lynn Herring||Portland||20||Miss Portland||Vocal Medley, "Who Will Buy?" & "As Long as He Needs Me" from Oliver!||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1971||Lynn Dee Grenz||Milwaukie||20||Miss Linn County||Vocal, "Hurry! It's Lovely Up Here" from On a Clear Day You Can See Forever||Non-finalist Talent Award||Former Speaker of the Oregon House of Representatives and past House Majority Leader|
Judge at Miss America 1999 pageant
|1970||Cynthia Lynn Harrison||Portland||18||Miss Rogue Valley||Vocal & Guitar, "Just Once"|
|1969||Margie Elaine Huhta||Astoria||20||Miss Knappa-Svensen||Vocal Medley, "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" & "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?"|
|1968||Marjean Kay Langley||Milton-Freewater||19||Miss Pendleton||Classical Ballet, "The Dying Swan"||3rd runner-up|
|1967||Christine Beach||Pendleton||18||Miss Pendleton||Vocal, "Just You Wait" from My Fair Lady|
|1966||Lita Schiel||Lake Oswego||21||Miss Lake Oswego||Original Skit|
|1965||Sue Pack||Eugene||18||Miss Eugene||Vocal, "The Lonely Goatherd" from The Sound of Music||Top 10||Joined The New Christy Minstrels in 1966|
Wife of Mickey Newbury
|1964||Carol Pedersen||Newport||18||Miss Lincoln County||Dramatic Reading|
|1963||D’Ann Fullerton||Roseburg||Miss Roseburg||Original Novelty Dance & Hula Baton|
|1962||Martha Wyatt||Jacksonville||19||Miss Rogue Valley||Interpretive Jazz Dance, "Love Walked In"||Top 10|
|1961||Jody Bourne||Salem||20||Miss Salem||Interpretive Ballet|
|1960||Rosemary Doolen||19||Vocal, "A Heart That's Free"||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1959||Karlyn Mattsson||Portland||18||Miss Portland||Piano & Dance|
|1958||Mary Ellen Vinton||McMinnville||Miss McMinnville||Piano & Tap Dance, "I Won't Dance"|
|1957||Judith Hansen||Astoria||Miss Astoria||Classical Vocal, "Mi Chiamano Mimi" from La bohème||Top 10||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1956||Patricia Berg||Eugene||Miss Eugene||Vibraharp, "Indian Love Call"|
|1955||Dorothy Mae Johnson||Portland||Miss Beaverton||Dramatic Monologue from Macbeth||1st runner-up|
|1954||Diane Carman||Milwaukie||Miss Oak Grove||Drama, "This Is America"|
|1953||Patti Throop||Portland||Miss Portland||Dramatic Reading, "Patterns"||Top 10||She was a showgirl at the Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada in 1957.|
|1952||Mary Lou Teague||Eugene||Miss Eugene||Vocal, "Love Is Where you Find It"|
|1951||Audrey Mistretta||Astoria||Miss Tongue Point||Vocal|
|1950||Elizabeth Ann Baker||Monmouth||Miss McMinnville||Classical Piano, Clair de Lune|
|1949||Beverly Kruger||The Dalles||Miss The Dalles||Monologue, "The Waltz" by Dorothy Parker|
|1948||Joyce Davis||Bend||Miss Redmond||Classical Vocal, "Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix"||Top 15|
|1947||Jo Ann Amorde||Sutherlin||Miss Roseburg||Vocal, "Alice Blue Gown" from Irene||Top 15||Mother of Miss Oregon 1974, Juli Ann Berg|
|1935-46||No Oregon representative at Miss America pageant|
|1926||Maxine Jennings||Portland||Miss Portland||N/A||Competed under local title at national pageant|
|1923||Patricia Smith||Portland||Miss Portland||N/A||Competed under local title at national pageant|
- Miss Oregon Pageant starts today in Seaside. The Oregonian, July 8, 2004.
- – State Emblems; State Boundary Archived April 2, 2019, at the Wayback Machine Oregon Revised Statutes
- Foyston, John. Miss Portland rises to the top, takes Miss Oregon title. The Oregonian, July 2, 2007.
- Tareen, Sophia. Persistence pays off for pageant winner. The Oregonian, July 12, 2004.
- Marx, R. J. (June 21, 2021). "After 2020 hiatus, new Miss Oregon crowned in Seaside". oregonlive. Retrieved June 28, 2021.
- Kuperinksy, Amy (May 8, 2020). "Miss America postpones pageant until 2021, N.J. pageant still set for September". Press of Atlantic City.
- Lacaze, Katherine (June 30, 2019). "Kadam crowned Miss Oregon in Seaside". The Daily Astorian.
- Melhorn, Mark (December 17, 2019). "Miss Georgia is a repeat winner in second night of Miss America prelims". Press of Atlantic City.
- "Photo Gallery: 2018 National Sweetheart Pageant". Hoopeston Chronicle. September 3, 2018.
- Visser, Brenna (July 1, 2018). "Taylor Ballard of Portland is new Miss Oregon". The Daily Astorian.
- "Lane County woman crowned as 70th Miss Oregon". The Washington Times. July 2, 2017.
- Novak, Theresa (July 24, 2017). "A crown of ideals". The Register-Guard.
She won...Miss Lane County’s Outstanding Teen and Miss Oregon’s Outstanding Teen in 2013...
- Stillman, Eli (July 4, 2016). "For Miss Oregon, a night to shine". The Daily Astorian.
- "Miss Oregon USA & Teen USA pageant results". Pageant Update. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Spitaleri, Ellen (June 30, 2014). "Anderson crowned Miss Oregon 2014". Portland Tribune. Portland, OR: Pamplin Media Group. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Miss Oregon wears bicycle shoes in Miss America parade". Portland, OR: KOIN-TV. Associated Press. September 13, 2014. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 9, 2015. Retrieved September 27, 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Avery-Page, Nora (July 12, 2013). "New Miss Oregon from Klamath Falls". Herald and News. Klamath Falls, OR: Pioneer News Group. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- Sedlak, Rebecca (July 1, 2012). "Miss Oregon 2012 Rachel Berry looks forward to Miss America after Seaside win". The Daily Astorian. Astoria, OR: EO Media Group. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- Blackman, Teresa (July 19, 2012). "Miss Oregon gives up crown over residency controversy". Portland, OR: KGW-TV. Retrieved August 14, 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Caroline McGowan of Corvallis wins 2011 Miss Oregon pageant". The Oregonian. The Associated Press. July 2, 2011. Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- "Hillsboro woman is named Miss Oregon". OregonLive.com. The Associated Press. July 12, 2010. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- "New Miss Oregon hails from Scappoose". Portland, OR: KATU. Associated Press. July 12, 2009. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- Litvin, Katie (July 23, 2008). "Bosnian beauty wins Miss Oregon crown". Portland Tribune. Portland, OR: Pamplin Media Group. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- "Miss Portland Crowned Miss Oregon 2007". Salem News. July 1, 2007. Retrieved July 1, 2007.
- "Daughters of Bakers Local 114 members have won four pageant crowns". NW Labor Press. January 5, 2007.
The latest is Miss Oregon Donilee McGinnis...
- Clemens, Samuel (2020). Pat: A Biography of Hollywood's Blonde Starlet. Sequoia Press. p. 72. ISBN 978-0578682822.
- "Miss America Timeline: 1901–1950". PBS.
- "1933 Candidates". Miss America.
- "1927 Candidates". Miss America.
- Schnitzspahn, Karen (September 8, 1997). "There She Was – Miss Long Branch". Asbury Park Press. Asbury Park, New Jersey. p. 4 – via Newspapers.com.
...talent contest that was established in 1935.
- "1925 Candidates". Miss America.
- "1924 Candidates". Miss America.
- "Golden Apple Is Sought by Scores". The Morning Call. Allentown, Pennsylvania. September 6, 1923. p. 12 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Reporter, Dazzled by Beauty of Six Pageant Entrants - Sees Hard Job Ahead for Judges". The Indianapolis Times. Indianapolis, Indiana. September 5, 1922. p. 1.
- "1921 Candidates". Miss America.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miss Oregon USA titleholders.|