Miss Spectacular is an unproduced musical with lyrics and music by Jerry Herman and additional lyrics by Steve Lawrence and Michael Feinstein. Its plot focuses on a girl from the Midwest who heads to Las Vegas and is a finalist in the "Miss Spectacular" contest.
Steve Wynn had asked Herman to write a musical that would be presented at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas, possibly in 2000. Wynn planned to install the musical in its theater for a long-term engagement, but when the property was sold to MGM the new owners had no interest in the project.
In 2003, there were new plans for staging the musical in Las Vegas with Tommy Tune directing and the search for the leading lady done with a television talent show. There has been no further word on this project.
Undaunted by the collapse of the arrangement, Herman gathered together a cast of Broadway performers, including Lawrence, Feinstein, Faith Prince, Christine Baranski, Debbie Gravitte, and Karen Morrow, and a full orchestra to record a concept album that was released on the DRG label in 2002. His score is reminiscent of such early work as Hello, Dolly! and Mame.
- "Miss What's Her Name "
- "Las Vegas"
- "Ziegfeld Girl"
- "Sarah Jane"
- "Ziegfeld Girl (Reprise)"
- "Where in the World is My Prince?"
- "No Other Music"
- "I Wanna Live Each Night"
- "Miss Spectacular"
- "My Great Dream"
- Jones, Kenneth. "Jerry Herman's 'Miss Spectacular' Gets All-Star Studio Cast Recording June 11" Playbill, April 2, 2002
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-10-01. Retrieved 2007-09-10.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) "Las Vegas Life", "Mr. Spectacular", January 2000
- Simonson, Robert; Lefkowitz, David; Nassour, Ellis. "Herman's 'Miss Spectacular' Stalled by Corporate Merger" Playbill, July 26, 2000, accessed December 22, 2016
- "Composer to bring a bit of Broadway to Las Vegas" Las Vegas Sun, October 18, 2006, accessed December 22, 2016
- Simonson, Robert. "Herman's 'Spectacular' to Hit Vegas in 2004; Reality TV Show to Choose Star" Playbill, January 23, 2003
- Suskin, Steven. "ON THE RECORD: Into the Woods with 'Miss Spectacular'" Playbill, July 28, 2002, accessed December 22, 2016
- Jerry Herman: Poet of the Showtune (2004), Steve Citron, p. 298, Yale University Press, ISBN 0-300-10082-5