Miss Teen International
|Formation||1966;1 1993;2 2002;3 2018;4 20195|
1Hollywood independent pageant (1966–1969).
2Costa Rica independent pageant
(1993–2014, Enrique González, owner).
3United States independent pageant (2002 to present, International Pageants, Inc., owner).
4India independent pageant (2018 to present, Glamanand Entertainment Pvt. Ltd., owner).
5Ecuador independent pageant (2019 to present, Rodrigo Moreira, owner).
Miss Teen International is the name of independently operated annual beauty pageants currently being held in the United States, India, and Ecuador.
In the United States, applicants must be aged 13 to 18 and never have been married or given birth. The pageant is owned by Mary C. Richardson of International Pageants, Inc.
In India, the competition is for teenage girls across the world aged between 14 and 19. The pageant is owned by Nikhil Anand, Indian businessman, founder and chairman of Glamanand Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
In Ecuador, the pageant is for girls aged 15–19 years of all nationalities and is owned and operated by businessman Rodrigo Moreira.
History and pageant versions
There have been different pageants called Miss Teen International going back to 1966.
1966 to 1969
The first contest bestowing the title of Miss Teen International took place on Wednesday, April 4, 1966 in Hollywood and was hosted by Adam West, star of TV's Batman, with guest appearances by actresses Mia Farrow and Barbara Parkins, actors Vic Morrow and John Astin, singers Robert Goulet and Sonny & Cher, and 1965 Miss Teen USA Susan Henning.
The 1967 Miss Teen International pageant was held again in Hollywood on Saturday, March 20, and was hosted by actress Sally Field and actor-singer Noel Harrison, with 1966 Miss Teen USA Cindy Lewis making an appearance, along with the current 1966 and first Miss Teen International, Ewa Aulin, 17, who crowned her successor.
At the 1968 pageant in Hollywood on Saturday, April 13, there were 12 girls from different countries participating in the event, with Miss Teen USA Pamela Martin, 18, representing the United States.
The pageant was produced by Al Burton and the final competition aired as a single one-hour special nationally in prime time in the United States for each of four consecutive years on the ABC Television network in the United States and syndicated airing in foreign TV markets.
Titleholders — Hollywood, United States
- 1966: Ewa Aulin, 17, Sweden.
- 1967: Alice Alfeim, Norway.
- 1968: Jeanette McLeod, Australia.
- 1969: Mary Louise Lewis, England.
The pageant ceased operation after the 1969 competition.
2002 to present
A new pageant unrelated to the original 1966 version was initiated in the United States in 2002 that bestows the title of Miss Teen International. It is owned by Mary C. Richardson of Roanoke, Virginia, Executive Director and owner of International Pageants, Inc. Richardson owns the trademark in the United States for "Miss Teen International" for beauty pageant use.
The contestants in the United States version of the pageant mainly represent individual U.S. states and currently a limited number of international countries, which over the years has included Australia, Bahamas, Canada, China, Great Britain, Haiti, Hungary, India, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Russia, South Africa, and St. Marrten.
The winner receives a university scholarship. The current 2021 Miss Teen International in the United States is Katie Hoang of Keller, Texas.
Recent titleholders — United States
- 2021: Katie Hoang
- 2020: Jayden Luberto
- 2019: Madeline Wright
- 2018: "Georgia" Katherine Clark
- 2017: Carly Peeters
- 2016: Garin Harris
- 2015: Jules Fletcher
- 2014: Blair Wortsmith
- 2013: Haley Pontius
- 2012: Caroline Crowley
1993 to 2014
A version of the pageant unrelated to the original 1966 Hollywood pageant based in Costa Rica began in 1993 by Enrique Gonzalez, who also operated the Mr Costa Rica and Miss Teen Costa Rica pageants. It was held through 2014 with the winner that year being Ailin Adorno, 17, of Paraguay.
Titleholders — Costa Rica pageant
|Year||Country||Miss Teen International||Venue||Country/Territory||Nº1||Ref.|
|Enrique González pageant ownership era|
|1993||Sweden||Sofia Andersson||San José||Costa Rica||23|
|1994||Brazil||Ana Carina Góis||29|
|1997||Puerto Rico||Katherine González||21|
|1998||Brazil||Vanessa Martins||Guatemala City||Guatemala||17|
|1999||Aruba||Carolina Raven||San José||Costa Rica||12|
|2000||Curacao||Mary Ann Statia||Oranjestad||Aruba||14|
|2001||Puerto Rico||Yaraliz Lasanta||Willemstad||Curacao||12|
|2002||Costa Rica||Fabriella Quesada||San José||Costa Rica||13|
|2003||Costa Rica||Teresa Rodríguez||Ibarra||Ecuador||18|
|2004||Australia||Lauryn Eagle||San José||Costa Rica||21|
|2005||No pageant held|
|2006||Puerto Rico||Mayra Matos||San José||Costa Rica||16|
|2008||Brazil||Isabele Sánchez||San José||Costa Rica||16|
|2009||Costa Rica||Nazareth Cascante||15|
|2012||Puerto Rico||Valerie Hernández||10|
2016 to present
In 2016, plans for a new version of the pageant began by Glamanand Entertainment Pvt. Ltd., owned by Nikhil Anand. Since the first pageant in 2018, it is held annually in India and is considered the largest teen pageant in the word. Glamanand Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. owns the trademark in India for "Miss Teen International" for beauty pageant use.
Titleholders — India pageant
|Year||Country||Miss Teen International||Hometown||Country/Territory||Age||Ref.|
|Glamanand Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. pageant ownership era|
|2019||India||Aayushi Dholakia||New Delhi||India||16|||
|2020||No pageant held1|
2019 to present
A version of the Miss Teen International pageant based in Ecuador is held annually. It began planning operation in 2018 by Rodrigo Moreira, who filed a trademark application that year in Ecuador for "Miss Teen International" (in English) and was approved in 2019. The pageant was previously called Miss Teenager International from 2014 to 2018. The first winner of the Miss Teen International pageant in Ecuador in 2019 was Luciana Begazo of Peru. The current 2021 Miss Teen International winner is Aurora Villalobos of Mexico.
Titleholders — Ecuador pageant
|Year||Country||Miss Teen International||City||Country/Territory||Age||Ref.|
|Rodrigo Moreira pageant ownership era|
|20201||Panama||Maria Alejandra Royo||Panama||19|||
Countries/Territories by winning number – All pageants
This list includes title winners in all five pageants from the original Miss Teen International in 1966 to the present day.
|Brazil||5||1994, 1996, 1998, 2008, 2013|
|Puerto Rico||4||1997, 2001, 2006, 2012|
|Costa Rica||3||2002, 2003, 2009|
|Sweden||1966, 1993, 1995|
|Mexico||2007, 2018, 2021|
- "Yields Throne". newspapers.com. Atlanta, Georgia: The Atlanta Constitution. April 4, 1966. p. 51. Retrieved February 14, 2021.
Photo caption: Mia Farrow, left, and Barbara Parkins, right, of Peyton Place, will help Susan Henning, 1965 titleholder of the Miss Teen USA title, pass her crown to another youngster Wednesday in the Miss Teen International Pageant at 10 p.m. on Channel 11.
- "TV Highlights" (PDF). rbr.mtpl.org/rbr. Red Bank, New Jersey: The Daily Register. April 6, 1966. p. 24. Retrieved February 24, 2021.
10–11 [p.m.] ([channel] 7) - Special. 'The Miss Teen International Pageant.' Another in the endless round of beauty parades. This time, high school girls representing twelve countries compete with Miss Teen U.S.A. for a new title, in Hollywood. The girls are introduced by emcee Adam 'Batman' West, and such presenters as Robert Goulet, Vic Morrow, John Astin, 'Peyton Place' youngsters, and Sonny and Cher. (Color).
- "Teen Fair". newspapers.com. Long Beach, California: Independent Press-Telegram. March 19, 1967. p. 85. Retrieved February 24, 2021.
Photo caption: Miss Teen International Trio. Sally Field and Noel Harrison, hosts, with Cindy Lewis, 1966 Miss Teen U.S.A. / Article quote: The second annual 'Miss Teen International Pageant' will be presented in color at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, on Channel 7. The pageant, which will originate live in Hollywood, will bring together Miss Teen International finalists from 11 countries: Japan, France, Sweden, Norway, Italy, Ireland, Canada, Switzerland, England, Ecuador and the United States. ... Seventeen- year-old Ewa Aulin, the blue-eyed, golden-haired Stockholm model who is the reigning Miss Teen International, and who has just completed a year-long tour of world capitals, will crown her successor.
- "Michigan Girl Is Miss Teen U.S.A." newspapers.com. Fremont, Ohio: The News Messenger. April 11, 1968. p. 8. Retrieved February 24, 2021.
Photo caption: Pamela Martin, 18, clutches her trophy as she accepts congratulations from other competitors in Hollywood after being named Miss Teen U.S.A. during the Teen Age Fair. Miss Martin is a junior at Seaholm high school in Birmingham, Mich. She competed against nine others for the U.S.A. title and on Saturday will be competing against 11 girls from foreign countries for the title of Miss Teen International.
- Witbeck, Charles H. (April 6, 1966). "This International Pageant Hails Fun – Not Madness\". newspapers.com. Miami, Florida: The Miami News. p. 32. Retrieved June 3, 2021.
HOLLYWOOD – Following, and hopefully not stumbling, on the heels of 'America's Junior Miss Pageant' from Mobile, Ala. is a slicked-up, glamorized Hollywood merchandised version for high school cuties, airing tonight on ABC. It's the 'Miss Teen International Pageant,' spiced by such ABC-TV celebrities as emcee Adam 'Batman' West, and presenters John Astin, Robert Goulet, four youngsters from 'Peyton Place' and the wailers, Sonny and Cher. Endowed with puzzling measurements in stone and centimeters, and capable of speaking a little English, young ladies from countries like Ireland, Mexico, Italy and Germany fly to Hollywood to compete with Miss Teen U.S.A. during Easter vacation week. ... a shrewd little TV producer by the name of Al Burton decided to lure kids away from sin on the sand by putting on a teenage fair, and perhaps earn a few nickels as well.
- Terrace, Vincent (2013). Television Specials: 5,336 Entertainment Programs, 1936-2012, 2d ed. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland. p. 258. ISBN 9781476612409. Retrieved June 3, 2021.
Quote: Miss Teen International. (Beauty Pageant; ABC; Mar. 25, 1967). Single telecast of the finals competition wherein teenage girls from around the world compete in various challenges for the title 'Miss Teen International.' Host: Sally Field, Noel Harrison. Producer: Al Burton. Director: Bob Henry.
- Wheat, Lorraine (October 22, 2019). "Al Burton, 'Jeffersons' and 'Diff'rent Strokes' Producer, Dies at 91". variety.com. Variety. Retrieved June 3, 2021.
Burton highlighted young women through his beauty pageants 'Miss Teen USA' and 'Miss Teen International,' which were hosted across the country.
- Martin, Jakes (July 23, 2014). "Mrs. International contestants explore St. Augustine". staugustine.com. St. Augustine, Florida: The St. Augustine Record. Retrieved May 7, 2021.
Mary Richardson, Executive Director and Owner of International Pageants. ... The Mrs. International Pageant is owned and operated by International Pageants Inc., which also operates Miss International and Miss Teen International pageants.
- "U.S. Patent and Trademark Office - Miss Teen International". uspto.gov. Retrieved May 7, 2021.
- "Meet Katie Hoang – Photographer, Nonprofit Founder, Miss Teen Texas International 2021". August 17, 2021. Retrieved November 30, 2021.
- "MissTeen International 2014: Canada among the finalists". torontohispano.com. HispanoCity. November 21, 2014. Retrieved May 18, 2021.
The Paraguayan Ailin Adorno, 17, was crowned the new Miss Teen International 2014 during the contest that was held at the prestigious RIU Palace Guanacaste hotel, Costa Rica, where ladies from different countries participated. ... On the other hand, the organizer of the contest, Enrique González, said that the round of questions played a very important role in deciding the winner.English translation
- "Ailin Adorno, ganadora del Miss Teen International: "Normalmante una paraguaya no se trae na corona"". thegreatpageantcommunity.com (in Spanish).
- Chakrabarty, Roshni (May 31, 2019). "How this Bihar boy became the world's youngest international pageant director at just 19". indiatoday.in. New Delhi, India: India Today. Retrieved May 10, 2021.
India Today Education spoke to Nikhil Anand, Chairman, Glamanand Entertainment Pvt Ltd, to know more about his journey. ... Year 2016 came up with bigger achievements as Nikhil took over Miss Teen International which was owned by Enrique Gonzalez of Costa Rica.
- "Pictures of Rashi Parasrampuria, the diva who'll represent India at Miss Teen International". indiatimes.com. IndiaTimes. May 9, 2021. Retrieved May 18, 2021.
Miss Teen International is the world’s biggest teen pageant and Rashi will be representing India at the pageant. Miss Teen International has been happening since 1966.
- "Government of India - Trade Marks Registry - Miss Teen International". ipindiaonline.gov.in. Retrieved May 10, 2021.(use Class 41 for search).
- "From Mexico to India: Meet Miss Teen International 2018". Rediff.com. December 24, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2021.
Mexico's Odalys Duarte was crowned Miss Teen International 2018. The 17-year-old beat 11 contestants from across the world to win the title. India's Ritika Khatnani won the first runner-up title, and Kiara Pineda from Venezuela has been named second runner-up.
"Aayushi crowned Miss Teen International 2019". December 24, 2019. Retrieved November 30, 2021.
Vadodra’s Aayushi Dholakia has bagged the title of Miss Teen International 2019, vying with the girls from 22 countries, becoming the first Asian to do so in the last 27 years.
- "Aayushi Dholakia crowned as Miss Teen India International 2019". thegreatpageantcommunity.com.
- "Mexican Model Odalys Duarte wins Miss Teen International 2018". elgrafico.mx. Mexico: El Gráfico. December 22, 2018. Retrieved May 30, 2021.
Originally from Tulancingo, Hidalgo, 17-year-old Duarte was crowned queen of Miss Teen International.(original in Spanish)
- "Aayushi Dholakia crowned as Miss Teen India International 2019". thegreatpageantcommunity.com.
- "La Gaceta de los Derechos Intelecuales". gaceta.propiedadintelectual.gob.ec. Ecuador: Servicio Nacional de Derechos Intelectuales. 2018. p. 278. Retrieved May 20, 2021. (The Gazette of Intellectual Rights, published by the National Service for Intellectual Rights, Ecuador)
- "Fabiola Ortíz wins the Miss Teenager International". eju.tv. Bolivia: Eju TV. August 11, 2014. Retrieved December 3, 2021.
The model, Gloria Fabiola Ortiz, obtained the title of Miss Teenager International 2014 held in Guayaquil, Ecuador.(original in Spanish)
- "Peruvian Luciana Begazo brings the Miss Teen International crown". larepublica.pe. Peru: La República. July 21, 2019. Retrieved May 26, 2021.
The young Peruvian Luciana Begazo established herself as the most beautiful woman at the Miss Teen International, held at the Las Cámaras de Guayaquil Business Center in Ecuador.(original in Spanish)
- "Luciana Begazo and Fatima Rivas: Peruvians won international beauty contests". diariocorreo.pe. Peru. September 7, 2019. Retrieved May 26, 2021.
Luciana Begazo won the Miss Teen International 2019 and Fátima Rivas the Miss Teen Beauty 2019(original in Spanish)
- "Luciana Begazo and Fátima Rivas Win in International Competition". extra.com.pe. Peru. September 10, 2019. Retrieved May 26, 2021. (original in Spanish)
- "Mexicana Aurora Villalobos ganó el concurso Miss Teen International 2021" [Mexican Aurora Villalobos won the Miss Teen International 2021 contest] (in Spanish). October 24, 2021. Retrieved November 30, 2021. [Mexican Aurora Villalobos, a 19-year-old nutrition student and flight attendant, was crowned "Miss Teen International" 2021 ″ at the event that was held in the city of Guayaquil, Ecuador.] English translation
- "Gana mexicana Miss Teen International 2021 en Ecuador" [Mexican Miss Teen International 2021 wins in Ecuador] (in Spanish). November 29, 2021. Retrieved November 30, 2021. [Aurora Villalobos, Nutrition student and flight attendant, originally from Ocotlán, Jalisco, 19 years old, was crowned "Miss Teen International 2021" at the Guayaquil event, she also won first place in the election of the Best International Typical Costume 2021] English translation
- "María Alejandra Royo was chosen Miss Teen International 2020". elsiglo.com.pa. Panama: El Siglo. May 25, 2021. Retrieved May 28, 2021.
María Alejandra Royo, 19-year-old, was crowned "Miss Teen International" 2020.(original in Spanish)