Miss Teen USA 1990
|Miss Teen USA 1990|
|Date||July 16, 1990|
|Entertainment||Gulf Coast Teen Orchestra|
|Venue||Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum, Biloxi, Mississippi|
Shirelle Robinson |
District of Columbia
Mary Ann Cimino |
Miss Teen USA 1990, the eighth Miss Teen USA pageant, was televised live from Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum, Biloxi, Mississippi on July 16, 1990. At the conclusion of the final competition, Bridgette Wilson of Oregon was crowned by outgoing titleholder Brandi Sherwood of Idaho.
1990 marked the year that Oregon won the pageant for the second of three times in the history of the pageant. Oregon and Texas are the only states that have won more than two Miss Teen USA titles, Oregon: Mindy Duncan in 1988, Bridgette Wilson in 1990 and Tami Farrell in 2003. Texas: Christie Lee Woods in 1996, Danielle Doty in 2011, and Karlie Hay in 2016.
This was the first year the pageant was held at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum in Biloxi, where it would be held for the following four years.
Sandy Duncan hosted the event for the only time, with color commentary by Leeza Gibbons and Miss Teen USA 1985 Kelly Hu. Music was provided by the Gulf Coast Teen Orchestra. Duncan was the first female host of an American beauty pageant.
|Miss Teen USA 1990|
The Miss Teen USA 1990 delegates were:
- Alabama - Candi Byrd
- Alaska - Marla Johnson
- Arizona - Jeri-Lynn Beatty
- Arkansas - Karen Pugh
- California - Trisha Robey
- Colorado - Shalon Pekosky
- Connecticut - Amy Riboink
- Delaware - Kristen Pontius
- District of Columbia - Cherrelle Robinson
- Florida - Michelle Benitez
- Georgia - Holly Roehl
- Hawaii - Sunny Kenaialpuni
- Idaho - Jody Walker
- Illinois - Terri Bollinger
- Indiana - Kristen Helms
- Iowa - Faith Windsor
- Kansas - Carrie Williams
- Kentucky - April Vaughan
- Louisiana - Ali Landry
- Maine - Michelle Grenier
- Maryland - Mary Ann Cimino
- Massachusetts - Nina Cammaratta
- Michigan - Erica Weber
- Minnesota - Jennifer Bell
- Mississippi - Kim Faulkner
- Missouri - Tavia Shackles
- Montana - Stephanie Wallace
- Nebraska - Shauna Redfern
- Nevada - J.J. Casper
- New Hampshire - Sarah McFall
- New Jersey - Jennifer Giordano
- New Mexico - Beth Baskin
- New York - Catherine Bliss
- North Carolina - Heather Simmons
- North Dakota - Sherry Bernadis
- Ohio - Heather Wilpert
- Oklahoma - Carmen James
- Oregon - Bridgette Wilson
- Pennsylvania - Susan Barnett
- Rhode Island - Claudia Jordan
- South Carolina - Katherine Hancock
- South Dakota - Petrona Usera
- Tennessee - Kristen Castle
- Texas - Becky Fisher
- Utah - Melissa Leigh Anderson
- Vermont - Gessica Tortolono
- Virginia - Yuranda Harris
- Washington - Paige Anderson
- West Virginia - Mindy Green
- Wisconsin - Deborah Santacrothie
- Wyoming - Janet Poccup
In a pre-taped segment for the pageant telecast on July 2, a small group of delegates was filmed playing with dolphins in a training pool at the Marine Life Oceanarium. This led to a probe by the National Marine Fisheries Service to investigate whether the oceanarium was in violation of its permit by allowing the delegates to swim with the dolphins. It was later decided that the segment would be edited so that it only showed the delegates feeding the mammals.
- "Oregon Girl Wins Pageant". Associated Press. 1990-07-16.
- "Miss. Gulf Coast enjoying TV exposure". The Baton Rouge Morning Advocate. 1990-07-09.
- "Sandy Duncan eases into a `first'". St. Petersburg Times. 1990-07-06. p. 7D.
- "Teen pageant airs Monday". Teen pageant airs Monday. 1990-07-12. p. 5-C.
- "UNL Student, Omaha Teen Win Pageants". The Omaha World-Herald. 1990-01-07. p. 2b.
- "Teen chosen at pageant". Portland Oregonian. 1989-11-27. p. 4.
- Taylor, Charles (1990-07-17). "Once in lifetime experience may be just that...". The Richmond News Leader.
- "Marine Life being probed after letting teen girls in pool". The Baton Rouge Morning Advocate. 1990-07-09.
- "Pageant telecast won't include dolphin scenes". The Baton Rouge Sunday Advocate. 1990-07-15.