Miss Teen USA 2002
|Miss Teen USA 2002|
|Date||August 28, 2002|
|Venue||South Padre Island Convention Centre, South Padre Island, Texas|
|Winner||Vanessa Marie Semrow
Miss Teen USA 2002, the 20th Miss Teen USA pageant, was televised live from South Padre Island, Texas on 28 August 2002. At the conclusion of the final competition, Miss Wisconsin Teen USA Vanessa Marie Semrow was crowned by outgoing queen Marissa Whitley of Missouri.
This was the second consecutive year that the pageant was held on South Padre Island, although it had also been held there in 1997.
Semrow was only the second teenager from Wisconsin to place in the pageant, and the first to win the title. The state's previous placement was in 1984.
In the years after the pageant, two delegates who competed at Miss Teen USA 2002 went on to win the Miss USA title. The class of 2002 is the first to produce two Miss USA winners. The first was Tara Conner of Kentucky, who placed second runner-up at Miss Teen USA 2002 and won the Miss USA 2006 pageant; she was followed by Rachel Smith of Tennessee (semi-finalist and Miss Photogenic at Miss Teen USA) who won Miss USA 2007. Both placed fourth runner-up in the Miss Universe pageant. A third contestant, fourth runner-up Kimberly Harlan of Georgia, competed at Miss World 2003 but did not place.
|Miss Teen USA 2002|
- Miss Congeniality: Austen Brown (South Carolina)
- Miss Photogenic: Rachel Smith (Tennessee)
- Best in Swimsuit: Tara Conner (Kentucky)
Final competition score
- Wisconsin, Connecticut and Minnesota placed for only the second time, Rhode Island placed for the third time. Rhode Island last placed in 1992, when Shanna Moakler made the semi-finals. Wisconsin last placed in 1984, Connecticut in 1993, and Minnesota in 1995.
- Georgia placed for the third consecutive year, the first time this had occurred.
- It was the second time in three years that Miss Kentucky Teen USA placed second runner-up.
- Rachel Smith (Miss USA 2007) became the second Tennessee teen to win Miss Photogenic. The first Tennessee teen to win the title was Lynnette Cole in 1995 who also went on to win the Miss USA 2000 title. Smith went on to follow her footsteps and win Miss USA 2007,eight years later.
- In a rare occurrence, Tara Conner won Miss USA 2006. She then crowned a fellow Miss Teen USA 2002 contestant, Rachel Smith (Miss USA 2007), as her successor.
The Miss Teen USA 2002 delegates were:
- Ten contestants later won Miss USA state titles:
- Marin Poole (Utah) - Miss Utah USA 2005 (Miss USA 2005 Top 15 semifinalist)
- Candice Stewart (Louisiana) - Miss Louisiana USA 2005
- Jessica Fjerstad (South Dakota) - Miss South Dakota USA 2005
- Tara Conner (Kentucky) - Miss Kentucky USA 2006 (Miss USA 2006)
- Alla Ilushka (Minnesota) - Miss Minnesota USA 2007
- Rachel Smith (Tennessee) - Miss Tennessee USA 2007 (Miss USA 2007)
- Lauren Barnette (Virginia) - Miss Virginia USA 2007 (Miss USA 2007 Top 10 finalist)
- Alysha Castonguay (Rhode Island) - Miss Rhode Island USA 2009
- Lacey Wilson (Illinois) - Miss Massachusetts USA 2010
- Ashley Bickford (Connecticut) - Miss Connecticut USA 2010; Triple Crown winner
- Two contestants later won Miss America state titles:
- The sister of Erin Madden (Hawaii) competed at Miss Teen USA 2000. The sisters of Jamie Mader (Wyoming) and Rachel Garness (Alaska) both competed at Miss Teen USA 2005.
- Alysha Castonguay (Rhode Island) was a cheerleader for the NFL's New England Patriots for two seasons.
- Kimberly Harlan (Georgia) competed Miss World United States 2003 and represented the United States in Miss World 2003.
- Chris Beckman
- Sam Levine
- Maria Menounos
- Paige Mycoskie
- Cyndi Thomson
- Jordi Vilasuso
- Cherise Vonae Shulman
- Ben Wentworth III