Miss U.S. International
|Website||Miss U.S. International Official Website|
Miss U.S. International is the official United States preliminary to the Miss International Beauty Pageant (officially titled The International Beauty Pageant). The United States has sent a representative to the Miss International pageant since its inception in 1960. The only year a representative was not sent was in 2006.
During the early 1960s the United States was represented by Miss National Press Photographer. From 1963-1967 the organizers ran the Miss American Beauty section candidates a few days before the Miss International finals, and after that the U.S. representative's sash was changed to American Beauty instead United States.
Since the Miss International Beauty Pageant moved to Japan in 1968. From 1968–1970, They invited Miss Welcome to Long Beach, which sponsored by the Junior Chamber of Commerce selected the winner to compete at Miss International in Japan.
Alfred Patricelli of Bridgeport, Connecticut, who was the Executive Director of the Miss World USA were asked to selected contestants. From 1971–1976, he handpicked the representatives from their lists of Miss World USA contestants. However, he organized the Miss International USA pageant only 2 times, which was held in 1973 and 1975.
From 1977–1983, California Beauty Pageant Inc. lead by Leonard Stallcup were the license holders for Miss International. He organized Miss California International, and the winner every years will represent as American Beauty at Miss International.
From 1984–1989, the Miss Universe organization were the license holders, and sent delegates from runner-up of Miss USA to Miss International. In 1987, the U.S. representative's sash was changed back to United States and USA respectively and continued to the present. It is unknown who was in charge of selecting the contestants from 1990–2006, but mostly they sent Californian girls to Japan.
Currently,[when?] Harrison Productions, LLC is the license holders for Miss International in the United States since 2007 and the winner of the Miss U.S. International pageant will competes at the Miss International Beauty Pageant every years.
Placements in Miss International
USA holds a record of 32 placements at Miss International.
- Miss International: Brucene Smith (Miss International 1974), Katherine Ruth (Miss International 1978), Christie Claridge (Miss International 1982)
- 1st Runners-up: Linda Taylor (1964), Gail Krielow (1965), Anna Rapagna (1979), Charissa Ewing (1980), Sarie Jourbert (1985), Dana Richmond (1988), Amy Holbrook (2004)
- 2nd Runners-up: Pamela Elfast (1967), Karen MacQuarrie (1968)
- 3rd Runners-up: Joyce Bryan (1963), Jacqueline Jochims (1971), Patricia Bailey (1975), Susan Carlson (1976)
- 4th Runners-up: Charlene Lundberg (1960), Carolyn Joyner (1962), Lindsay Bloom (1972), Laura Bobbit (1977), Lindsay Becker (2015), Kaitryana Leinbach (2016)
- Top 15: Gayle Kovaly (1969), Randi Blesener (1970), Lisa Schuman (1981), Kimberly Bleier (1983), Cindy Williams (1986), Paula Morrinson (1987), Deborah Husti (1989), Shawna Bouwman (1990), Amanda Delgado (2012), Andrea Neu (2013)
- Miss Photogenic: Christie Claridge (1982)
- Miss Mobile Beauty: Aileen Yap (2009)
- Color key
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as Runner-up
- Ended as one of the Semi-finalists
|Year||Name||Age[a]||State Represented||Hometown||Placement at Miss International||Notes|
|1960||Charlene Lundberg||19||Illinois||Joliet||4th Runner-up|
|1961||Jo Ann Dyer||22||Ohio||Lima|
|1962||Carolyn Joyner†||19||Kansas||Freeport||4th Runner-up|
|1963||Joyce Bryan||19||Florida||Miami||3rd Runner-up|
|1964||Linda Taylor||18||California||San Diego||1st Runner-up|
|1965||Gail Krielow||21||Ohio||Richmond Heights||1st Runner-up||Miss Ohio USA 1964, Semi-finalist at Miss USA 1964.|
|1966||No Pageant (cancelled)|
|1967||Pamela Elfast||19||New Jersey||East Orange||2nd Runner-up|
|1968||Karen MacQuarrie||21||California||Long Beach||2nd Runner-up|
|1969||Gayle Kovaly||20||California||Long Beach||Top 15|
|1970||Randi Blesener||21||California||Long Beach||Top 15|
|1971||Jacqueline Jochims||23||Iowa||Carroll||3rd Runner-up||Miss Iowa USA 1970; Miss Iowa World 1971.|
|1972||Lindsay Bloom||22||Arizona||Scottsdale||4th Runner-up||Miss Arizona World 1971, 2nd Runner-up at Miss World USA 1971.|
|1973||Pia Canzani||23||Maryland||Baltimore||Miss Maryland World 1972.|
|1974||Brucene Smith||23||Texas||Port Lavaca||Miss International 1974||Miss Texas World 1971, Miss World USA 1971, Top 7 at Miss World 1971.|
|1975||Patricia Bailey||20||Virginia||Norfolk||3rd Runner-up||Miss Virginia World 1974.|
|1976||Susan Carlson||21||New York||Schenectady||3rd Runner-up||Miss New York USA 1973, 1st Runner-up at Miss USA 1973; Miss Tennessee World 1975.|
|1977||Laura Bobbit||18||California||Fresno||4th Runner-up|
|1978||Katherine Ruth||20||California||Los Angeles||Miss International 1978|
|1979||Anna Rapagna||21||California||Burbank||1st Runner-up|
|1980||Charissa Ewing||19||California||Los Angeles||1st Runner-up|
|1981||Lisa Schuman||18||California||Cypress||Top 15|
|1982||Christie Claridge||19||California||Los Angeles||Miss International 1982||Miss Photogenic Award.|
|1983||Kimberly Bleier||19||California||Los Angeles||Top 15|
|1984||Sandra Percival||20||Missouri||Sunrise Beach||Miss Missouri USA 1984, 3rd Runner-up at Miss USA 1984.|
|1985||Sarie Joubert||22||Louisiana||Shreveport||1st Runner-up||Miss Louisiana USA 1985, 3rd Runner-up at Miss USA 1985.|
|1986||Cindy Williams||22||Mississippi||Hattiesburg||Top 15||Miss Mississippi USA 1986, 3rd Runner-up at Miss USA 1986.|
|1987||Paula Morrinson||23||West Virginia||Barboursville||Top 15||Miss West Virginia USA 1987, Semi-finalist at Miss USA 1987.|
|1988||Dana Richmond||21||Mississippi||Madison||1st Runner-up||Miss Mississippi USA 1988, 4th Runner-up at Miss USA 1988.|
|1989||Deborah Husti||22||New Jersey||Rockaway||Top 15||Miss New Jersey USA 1989, 2nd Runner-up at Miss USA 1989.|
|1990||Shawna Bouwman||20||California||Artesia||Top 15|
|1991||Kimberly Byers||22||California||Oxnard||Miss Intercontinental 1994.|
|1992||Sandra Allen||24||California||Los Angeles|
|1995||Krista Loskota||19||California||San Gabriel|
|1996||Maya Kashak||18||California||Palm Desert|
|1998||Susan Paez||22||California||South Gate|
|1999||Jennifer Glover||20||California||Castro Valley||Miss California USA 2001; Miss California 2002.|
|2000||Kirstin Cook||22||Florida||Fort Lauderdale|
|2001||Eleana Thompson||19||California||Lake Elsinore|
|2002||Mary Elizabeth Jones||21||California||Mira Loma|
|2004||Amy Holbrook||19||California||San Diego||1st Runner-up|
|2005||Anna Ward||24||California||Long Beach|
|2006||Sara Harrigfeld||26||Idaho||Ashton||Did not compete||Harrigfeld did not compete because she was overage.|
|2008||Kelly Best||22||Michigan||Troy||Miss Michigan USA 2007, Top 15 at Miss USA 2007.|
|2009||Aileen Yap||21||Texas||Willis||Miss Mobile Beauty Award.|
|2010||Casandra Tressler||25||Maryland||Oakland||Miss Maryland USA 2008.|
|2011||Kristen Little||22||New Mexico||Atlanta, GA|
|2012||Amanda Delgado||22||California||Victorville||Top 15|
|2013||Andrea Neu||23||Colorado||Pueblo||Top 15||Miss Earth United States 2014, 1st Runner-up at Miss Earth 2014.|
|2015||Lindsay Becker||25||Minnesota||Apple Valley||4th Runner-up|
|2016||Kaitryana Leinbach||18||North Carolina||Charlotte||4th Runner-up|
|2017||Shanel James||26||Maryland||Fort Meade|
|2018||Bonnie Walls||24||New York||Piedmont, SC|
|2020||Maritsa Platis||19||South Carolina||North Myrtle Beach||No Pageant (cancelled)||Platis was crowned the national pageant in 2020, but will compete in Miss International 2021 pageant because 2020 competition was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.|
- † Now deceased
By number of states
|California||27||1964, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982,|
1983, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,
2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2019
|Maryland||3||1973, 2010, 2017|
|Texas||1974, 1995, 2009|
|Florida||1963, 2000, 2003|
|New York||2||1976, 2018|
|New Jersey||1967, 1989|
- Age when competed at Miss International
Miss International USA 1986
- "The winner of Miss U.S. International every year will compete at Miss International beauty pageant". missusinternational.com.
- "Charlene Lundberg was selected as Miss U.S.A. by the National Press Photographers". oocities.org.
- "JoAnn Dyer of Ohio, crowned Miss National Press Photographers". veestarz.com.
- "Joyce Bryan was selected as the American Beauty". veestarz.com.
- "The American Beauty is Linda Ann Taylor". veestarz.com.
- "Mayor of Long Beach and Miss Welcome to Long Beach was invited to attend the 1968 Miss International Beauty Pageant in Tokyo". Independent Press-Telegram. Long Beach, California – via newspapers.com.
- "Homegrown American Beauty seeks world crown (Karen MacQuarrie, Miss Welcome to Long Beach for Miss International Beauty Pageant in Tokyo)". Independent Press-Telegram. Long Beach, California – via newspapers.com.
- "Japanese Name Patricelli to Head Miss International Beauty Contest". www.newspapers.com.
- "Jackie Jochims in International Pageant". www.newspapers.com.
- "Girl, Managed by Bridgeport Man, Wins Miss International Contest". www.newspapers.com.
- "Miss International USA 1973". www.newspapers.com.
- "Girl who won pageant here ranked fourth in world test". www.newspapers.com.
- "Miss California International". books.google.co.th.
- "Lisa Schuman, Miss California International 1981". books.google.co.th.
- "Sarie Joubert selected as 1st RU". www.newspapers.com.
- "Dana Richmond was selected to represent USA". www.newspapers.com.
- "History of the United States representative at Miss International beauty pageant". missusinternational.com.
- "Notice of Cancellation of Miss International 2020". miss-international.org.