Miss USA 1972
|Miss USA 1972|
|Date||May 20, 1972|
|Presenters||Bob Barker, Helen O'Connell|
|Venue||Cerromar Beach Hotel, Dorado, Puerto Rico|
Miss USA 1972 was held at Cerromar Beach Hotel in Dorado, Puerto Rico, on May 20, 1972. Tanya Wilson of Hawaii was crowned by outgoing titleholder Michele McDonald of Pennsylvania. This was the second time Hawaii has won the pageant.
This was the first time the pageant was held outside the continental United States. The event was marred by two bomb blasts at the hotel during the pageant, thought to have been caused by anti-American activists. There was severe property damage but no injuries were reported. Earlier that day the venue had been picketed by the Puerto Rican Socialist Party.
- Miss USA 1972: Tanya Wilson (Hawaii)
- The runners-up were:
- 1st runner-up: Alberta Philips (New York)
- 2nd runner-up: Kim Christina Hobson (California)
- 3rd runner-up: Coni Ensor (Florida)
- 4th runner-up: Kathleen Ann Kehlmier (Ohio)
- Semi-Finalists: Patricia Lane (Alaska), Janet Gail Greenwalt (District of Columbia), Bonnie Martin (Louisiana), Marilyn Ann Petty (Michigan), Donna Reel (New Mexico), Deborah Ann Falls (North Carolina), Susan Gordon (South Carolina)
A panel of ten celebrities was chosen to judge the competition.
- Ed Sullivan - entertainer
- Walt Frazier - New York Knicks basketball player
- Jacqueline Susann - author
- Halston - designer
- Cindy Adams - broadcaster and columnist
- Dong Kingman - artist
- Rita Moreno - Puerto Rican actress
- Bob Lardine - feature writer for New York Sunday News
- Chuck Connors - actor
- William Knight - Senior Vice-President for Avis Rent a Car System
- UPI (1972-05-22). "Hawaii Lass Crowned Miss USA Saturday". Lodi News-Sentinel.
- "CBS Televises Miss USA Saturday, Susan Gordon ranks high in prelims". The Rock Hill Herald. 1972-05-02.
- "Beauties compete for Miss USA". Lodi News-Sentinel. 1972-05-15.
- "Explosions rock beauty pageant site". Toledo Blade. 1972-05-21.
- Wilson, Earl (1972-05-25). "The Earl Wilson Column". Beaver County Times.
- "Police Seek Beauty Fete Bomb Clues". The Spokesman-Review. 1972-05-22.
- "New Miss USA". Ellensburg Daily Record. 1972-05-22.
- "Bombs enliven Nori Anderson's trip". Tri City Herald. 1972-05-24.