Miss USA 1991
|Miss USA 1991|
|Date||February 22, 1991|
|Presenters||Dick Clark, Barbara Eden and Deborah Shelton|
|Venue||Century II Convention Center, Wichita, Kansas|
At the conclusion of the final competition, Kelli McCarty of Kansas was crowned by outgoing titleholder Carole Gist of Michigan. Kelli became the first titleholder from Kansas and only the 3rd winner to be crowned as Miss USA in her home state.
This year was the first time that introduced the delegates in region by region and one by one in the Parade of States. The regions are The Midwest, The South, The Northeast, The Northwest, and The Southwest
|Miss USA 1991|
- Miss Congeniality: Charlotte Ray (New Jersey)
- Miss Photogenic: Pat Arnold (North Carolina)
- Best State Costume: Maricarroll Verlinde (Arizona)
- Kansas placed for the first time since 1973 and went on to win the crown; Kelli McCarty is now an actress.
- New Jersey made the top three for the third consecutive year, a record for the state and a rare occurrence for most states in the history of the Miss USA pageant.
- North Carolina placed for the first time since 1986.
- Illinois placed for the eighth consecutive year, a record for the state.
- New York placed for the first time since 1983.
- This was Alabama's first placement since 1981.
- Hawaii placed for the first time since 1985.
- Oregon placed for the first time since 1984.
- Texas failed to place, ending the state's 16-year streak that is yet to be repeated.
- The national anthem starts the show as a preamble to the pageant, honoring the United States Armed Forces.
The following are the contestants' scores in the preliminary competition.
The Miss USA 1991 delegates were:
- Alabama - Candice Carley
- Alaska - Tiffany Smith
- Arizona - Maricarroll Verlinde
- Arkansas - Angela Rockwell
- California - Diane Schock
- Colorado - Melanie Ness
- Connecticut - Valorie Abate
- Delaware - Laurie Lucidonio
- District of Columbia - LaKecia Smith
- Florida - Rosa Velilla
- Georgia - Tamara Rhodes
- Hawaii - Kym Lehua Digman
- Idaho - Lori Easley
- Illinois - Lisa Morgan
- Indiana - Cathi Bennett
- Iowa - Heather Bowers
- Kansas - Kelli McCarty
- Kentucky - Susan Farris
- Louisiana - Melinda Murphy
- Maine - Melissa Oliver
- Maryland - Lisa Marie Lawson
- Massachusetts - Laura Wheeler
- Michigan - Leann Pothi
- Minnesota - April Herke
- Mississippi - Mitzi Swanson
- Missouri - Tiffany Hazell
- Montana - JoAnn Jorgensen
- Nebraska - Ziba Ayeen
- Nevada - Jodi Jensen
- New Hampshire - Adriana Molinari
- New Jersey - Charlotte Ray
- New Mexico - Tiffany Danton
- New York - Maureen Murray
- North Carolina - Pat Arnold
- North Dakota - Mischelle Chistensen
- Ohio - Amy Glaze
- Oklahoma - Julie Khoury
- Oregon - Olga Calderon
- Pennsylvania - Adrienne Romano
- Rhode Island - Lynda Michael
- South Carolina - Traci Rufty
- South Dakota - Jillayne Fossum
- Tennessee - Angela Johnson
- Texas - Chris Bogard
- Utah - Patti Jo Bender
- Vermont - Margaret Corey
- Virginia - Traci Dority
- Washington - LaNae Williams
- West Virginia - Krista Ransbottom
- Wisconsin - Kimberly Totdahl
- Wyoming - Wendy Lee Dunn
- Delegates who had previously held a Miss America state title or would later win one were:
- Delegates who had previously competed in the Miss Teen USA pageant were:
- Lynn Swann
- Sheila Manning
- Lorianne Crook
- Don Crichton
- Guy Lee
- Sharyn Skeeter
- Joe Walsh
- C. Howard Wilkins, Jr.
- Adrienne Barbeau