Miss USA 1992
|Miss USA 1992|
|Date||February 7, 1992|
|Presenters||Dick Clark, Terry Murphy and Deborah Shelton|
|Venue||Century II Convention Center, Wichita, Kansas|
|Swimsuit||Candace Michelle Brown|
At the conclusion of the final competition, Shannon Marketic of California was crowned by outgoing titleholder Kelli McCarty of Kansas. Shannon became the fifth Miss USA titleholder from California and also the second Miss California USA to win both the Photogenic award and Miss USA crown, making her state the first one to repeat this feat. She is also the 4th Miss Photogenic to be crowned as Miss USA after winning the award.
This was the third of four years that the pageant was held in Wichita.
|Miss USA 1992|
- Miss Congeniality: Alesia Prentiss (Nevada)
- Miss Photogenic: Shannon Marketic (California)
- Best State Costume: Heather Christine Gray (Indiana)
- Best in Swimsuit: Candace Michelle Brown (Alabama)
- California continued their tradition of producing one Miss USA winner in every decade. This was California's third top three finish in five years.
- South Carolina finished in the top three for the second time in three years, and Kentucky made the top six for the second time in three years.
- Alabama placed for the second consecutive year, following a ten-year period without placement from 1981-1990. This was Alabama's highest placement since 1975, and would not be equalled until 2003.
- North Carolina placed for the second consecutive year, the first time this had happened since 1974-1975.
- Georgia placed in the top six for the sixth time in seven years. The exception being 1991.
The following are the contestants' scores in the preliminary competition.
The Miss USA 1992 delegates were:
- Alabama - Candace Michelle Brown
- Alaska - Kelly Kathleen Quirk
- Arizona - Dannis Shepherd
- Arkansas - Jona Garner
- California - Shannon Marketic
- Colorado - Laura DeWild
- Connecticut - Catherine Sanchez
- Delaware - Julie Ann Griffith
- District of Columbia - Wanda Jones
- Florida - Sharon Belden
- Georgia - Jennifer Prodgers
- Hawaii - Heather Hays
- Idaho - Cheryl Myers
- Illinois - Leilani Magnusson
- Indiana - Heather Gray
- Iowa - Pamela Patrick
- Kansas - Kimberlee Girrens
- Kentucky - Angela Hines
- Louisiana - Christy Saylor
- Maine - Linda Kiene
- Maryland - Renee Rebstock
- Massachusetts - Christine Netishen
- Michigan - Lainie Lu Howard
- Minnesota - Amber Rue
- Mississippi - Tammy Johnson
- Missouri - Tonya Snodgrass
- Montana - Joy Estrada
- Nebraska - Jeanna Margaret Blom
- Nevada - Alesia Prentiss
- New Hampshire - Rebecca Lake
- New Jersey - Kathy Kasprak
- New Mexico - Charlotte Holland
- New York - Christine Beachak
- North Carolina - Tess Elliot
- North Dakota - Camie Fladeland
- Ohio - Courtney Baber
- Oklahoma - Maya Walker
- Oregon - Terrie House
- Pennsylvania - Catherine Weber
- Rhode Island - Yvette Hernandez
- South Carolina - Audra Wallace
- South Dakota - Shawn Fredrichs
- Tennessee - Natalie Bray
- Texas - Katie Young
- Utah - Nichelle Mickelson
- Vermont - Bonnie Kittredge
- Virginia - Brandi Bottorff
- Washington - Stina McLynne
- West Virginia - Vicki Myers
- Wisconsin - Kelly Bright
- Wyoming - Lisa Postle
- Three contestants had previously competed in the Miss Teen USA pageant.
- Sharon Belden (Florida) later competed as Miss United States in Miss World 1992 and placed as semi-finalist.
- Maya Walker (Oklahoma) had previously competed at Miss America 1989 as Miss Colorado, where she placed first runner-up.
- Tess Elliott (North Carolina) was killed seven months later in a freak sky-diving accident.
- Vickie Myers (West Virginia) was from 2005 to 2006 arrested three times in eighteen months for drunk driving and was found dead in her home in January 2007. No foul play was suspected in her death.
- Mickey Gilley
- Chantal Cloutier
- David Marlow
- Laura Harring, Miss USA 1985 from Texas
- Toller Cranston
- Paula McClure
- Paul Rodriguez
- Kimberly Russell
- "1992 Miss North Carolina USA Killed in Skydiving Accident". The Associated Press. 1992-09-22.
- Wise, Kris (2006-10-11). "Beauty queen faces DUIs". Charleston Gazette.
- "Former Miss W.Va. USA found dead in her home". Associated Press. 2007-01-29.