Miss Universe 1999
|Miss Universe 1999|
Miss Universe 1999 Mpule Kwelagobe
|Date||26 May 1999|
|Entertainment||Julio Iglesias Jr.|
|Venue||Chaguaramas Convention Centre, Chaguaramas, Trinidad and Tobago|
|Broadcaster||CBS and TTT|
|Winner||Mpule Kwelagobe |
|Congeniality||Marisa Ferreira |
|Best National Costume||Nicole Simone Dyer |
Trinidad and Tobago
|Photogenic||Brenda Liz Lopez |
Miss Universe 1999, the 48th Miss Universe pageant, was held on 26 May 1999 at the Chaguaramas Convention Centre in Chaguaramas, Trinidad and Tobago. Mpule Kwelagobe of Botswana was crowned by Wendy Fitzwilliam of Trinidad and Tobago at the end of the event. Kwelagobe became the first Miss Universe to come from a debuting nation since 1958. Eighty-four contestants competed in this year.
|Miss Universe 1999|
- Angola - Egidia Torres
- Argentina - Elena Fournier
- Aruba - Irina Croes
- Australia - Michelle Shead
- Austria - Katja Giebner
- Bahamas - Glennis Knowles
- Barbados - Olivia Harding
- Belgium - Tanja Dexters
- Belize - Viola Jeffery
- Bolivia - Susana Barrientos
- Bonaire - Julina Felida
- Botswana - Mpule Kwelagobe
- Brazil - Renata Fan
- British Virgin Islands - Movel Lewis
- Canada - Shannon Erin McArthur
- Cayman Islands - Gemma McLaughlin
- Chile - Andrea Muñoz Sessarego
- Colombia - Marianella Maal Paccini
- Cook Islands - Tina Marie Vogel
- Costa Rica - Arianna Bolanos
- Croatia - Marijana Kuzina
- Curaçao - Jouraine Ricardo
- Cyprus - Valentina Dionysiou
- Czech Republic - Petra Faltynova
- Dominican Republic - Luz García
- Ecuador - Carolina Alfonso
- Egypt - Angie Abdalla
- El Salvador - Cynthia Cevallos
- Estonia - Triin Rannat
- Finland - Vanessa Forsman
- France - Mareva Galanter
- Germany - Diana Drubig
- Ghana - Akuba Cudjoe
- Great Britain - Cherie Pisani
- Greece - Sofia Raptis
- Guatemala - Monica Penedo
- Guyana - Morvinia Sobers
- Honduras - Sofia Guerrero
- Hong Kong - Anne Heung
- Hungary - Anett Garami
- India - Gul Panag
- Ireland - Vivienne Doyle
- Israel - Rana Raslan
- Italy - Gloria Bellicchi
- Jamaica - Nicole Haughton
- Japan - Satomi Ogawa
- Korea - Choi Ji-hyun
- Lebanon - Clemence Achkar
- Malaysia - Jeanette Ooi
- Malta - Dorianne Muscat
- Mauritius - Micaella L'Hortalle
- Mexico - Silvia Salgado
- Namibia - Vaanda Katjiuongua
- New Zealand - Kristy Wilson
- Nicaragua - Liliana Pilarte Centeno
- Nigeria - Angela Ukpoma
- Northern Marianas - Cherilyn Cabrera
- Panama - Yamani Saied
- Paraguay - Carmen Morinigo
- Peru - Fabiola Lazo
- Philippines - Miriam Redito Quiambao
- Poland - Katarzyna Pakuła
- Portugal - Marisa Ferreira
- Puerto Rico - Brenda Liz Lopez
- Russia - Alexandra Petrova
- Singapore - Cheryl Marie Cordeiro
- Slovakia - Aneta Kuklova
- South Africa - Sonia Raciti
- Spain - Diana Nogueira
- Suriname - Serafya Niekoop
- Sweden - Emma Helena Nilsson
- Switzerland - Sonia Grandjean
- Taiwan, R.O.C. - Wan-Fei Wang
- Thailand - Apisamai Srirangsan
- Trinidad & Tobago - Nicole Simone Dyer
- Turkey - Oznur Dursun
- Turks & Caicos - Shantell Stubbs
- Ukraine - Zhanna Pikhulya
- Uruguay - Veronica Gonzales
- United States - Kimberly Pressler
- U.S. Virgin Islands - Sherece Smith
- Venezuela - Carolina Indriago
- Yugoslavia - Ana Karić
- Zambia - Esanju Kalopa
During the contest:
- Guam - Miss Guam 1999, Tisha Elaine Heflin had to withdraw a few days before the preliminary competition, after being discovered that she was pregnant.
- Bulgaria, Miss Bulgaria 1999, Elena Angelova did not compete due lack of sponsorship.
- Norway - Henriette Dankertsen
- Romania - The Miss Romania 1999 pageant was cancelled and their organizers droped the Miss Universe licence.
- Netherlands and Zimbabwe - Did not send delegates due to lack of sponsorship and funding.
- Barbados - Miss Barbados 1998, Michelle Selman did not compete for undisclosed reasons. Her 1st runner up, Olivia Harding replaced her.
- Great Britain - The winner of Miss Great Britain Universe 1999, Nicki Lane decided to give up the crown to her 1st runner up Cherie Pisiani, after Lane confessed that she had a child at 14 years old.
- Philippines - The winner of Binibining Pilipinas 1999, Janelle Delfin Bautista had to resign due to citizenship issues just like last year's successor, because she is an American citizen. The Binibining Pilipinas World 1999, Miriam Quiambao assumed the Binibining Pilipinas Universe title.
- Honduras - Daryela Sofía Guerrero Canizales, runner up at Miss Honduras 1998 pageant was appointed by-then national director Eduardo Zablah to represent Honduras at Miss Universe 1999, after the Miss Honduras 1999 pageant was cancelled due to the consequences of Hurricane Mitch from November 1998. Previously she represented La Ceiba at Miss Honduras 1998 and Miss Teen International 1997.
- Nicaragua - Liliana Sofía Pilarte Centeno, 1st runner up at Miss Nicaragua 1998 pageant, was appointed by the Nicaraguan Tourism Institute (INTUR) as the new Miss Nicaragua 1999 at Miss Universe 1999 pageant. After that institution declared that there is neither time nor resources to make another contest. Therefore, Pilarte was the national queen for the next 2 years until 2001.
- Spain - Diana Nogueira, Top 12 at Miss España 1999 pageant was appointed to represent Spain at Miss Universe 1999 by her organization, after the winner of Miss España 1999, Lorena Bernal was ineligible for being underage and therefore went to Miss World 1999. Also the 1st runner up, Carmen Fernández, couldn't go to Miss Universe because her father was seriously sick and went to Miss International 1999, and the 2nd runner up, Inma Nadal had to participate in Miss Europe 1999, and the Miss España organization decided to pick Nogueira as the Spanish representative at Miss Universe 1999. She previously represented Pontevedra at the national contest.
- Portugal - Miss Congeniality (Marisa Ferreira)
- Puerto Rico - Miss Photogenic (Brenda Liz Lopez)
- Trinidad and Tobago - Best National Costume (Nicole Simone Dyer)
- Miss Universe title winner, Mpule Kwelagobe, was Botswana's first ever candidate to compete at the Miss Universe pageant.
- The Parade of Nations is similar to 1998's, except that the contestants wore their national costumes this time.
- West, Donald (ed.). "Miss Universe 1999". pageantopolis.com. Archived from the original on February 7, 2012.
- Tiempo, Casa Editorial El. "EMBARAZOSO LÍO REAL". El Tiempo. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- Ordover, Benjamin (1 October 2002). "Payback". iUniverse. Retrieved 9 August 2018 – via Google Books.
- "Pageant News Ticker VII". Web.archive.org. 11 November 1999. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Cherie pisani Stock Images - DIOMEDIA". Diomedia.com. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "STOCK IMAGE - Left: NICKI LANE The former Miss Great Britain Universe (Nicki has handed over her title to runner-up Cherie Louise Pisani, after it was revealed that she did not tell the Miss Universe organis..." Diomedia.com. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Crown of thorns". The Guardian. 25 May 1999. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Top 10 Dethroned Beauty Queens". Spot.ph. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "INTUR no se meterá más en el concurso Miss Nicaragua". Archivo.elnuevodiario.com.ni. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Besos que no manchan - La Prensa". Lapresnsa.com.ni. 3 December 2002. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "El anecdotario". Web.archive.org. 9 January 2007. Retrieved 9 August 2018.