The Miss Virginia competition is a scholarship pageant for women, with the titleholder representing Virginia in the Miss America pageant. The competition was founded in 1953 as a scholarship contest for young women, although women had represented Virginia in the Miss America pageant since the 1930s. Three Miss Virginia winners have gone on to be crowned Miss America, including former national titleholder Caressa Cameron.
To compete in the Miss Virginia pageant, a contestant must first win one of many local competitions. Contestants may compete at the local and state level more than once, but having won a state title may only compete in the national Miss America competition one time. The state pageant is traditionally held in Roanoke, Virginia at the Roanoke Civic Center in June or July.
During her reign, Miss Virginia travels over 20,000 miles across the state making appearances to further her personal platform and for the Miss America Organization's national Children's Miracle Network campaign.
Dorcas Campbell from Farfield was Miss Virginia of 1963 and won many singing contests was in the newspaper all the time and was a very talented opera singer. Kristi Lauren Glakas, Miss Virginia 2005, is one of only seven women who have competed in the Miss America, Miss Teen USA, and Miss USA competitions. She was Miss Virginia Teen USA 1999 and Miss Virginia USA 2004, placing in the top ten at Miss Teen USA 1999 and was a non-finalist at Miss USA 2004. Two other Miss Virginia titleholders later competed in the Miss USA pageant: Jennifer Pitts was Miss Virginia USA 2005 and Shannon DePuy was Miss Florida USA 1995.
Cecili Weber of Ironton, OH was crowned Miss Virginia 2017 on June 24, 2017 at Berglund Performing Arts Theatre in Roanoke, Virginia. She will compete for the title of Miss America 2018 on September 10, 2017 in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
The year in brackets indicates the year of the Miss America competition the award/placement was garnered.
- Miss Americas: Kylene Barker (1979), Nicole Johnson (1999), Caressa Cameron (2010)
- 1st runners-up: Julianne Smith (1987), Cullen Johnson (1995), Courtney Garrett (2015)
- 2nd runners-up: Anne Lee Ceglis (1954)
- 3rd runners-up: Evangeline Glidewell (1934), Kristi Lauren Glakas (2006), Hannah Kiefer (2008)
- 4th runners-up: Rosa Marie Elliott (1940), Nancy Glisson (1994)
- Top 10: Caitlin Uze (2011)
- Top 15: Elizabeth Crot (2012), Savannah Lane (2015)
- Preliminary Swimsuit: Linda Moyer (1972), Julianne Smith (1987), Cullen Johnson (1995), Nancy Redd (2004), Kristi Lauren Glakas (2006)
- Preliminary Talent: Anne Lee Ceglis (1954), Dorcas Campbell (1964), Cherie Davis (1969), Pamela Polk (1977), Crystal Evans (2000), Caressa Cameron (2010)
- Non-finalist Talent: Rebecca Richardson (1957), Alice Sue Williams (1960), Patricia Gaulding (1963), Carolyn Eddy (1965), Sydney Lewis (1970), Terri Bartlett (1978),Susan Parker (1984), Tami Elliott (1990), Sheri Huffman (1992), Lora Flattum (1993), Michelle Kang (1997), Kelli Quick (1998)
- Miss Congeniality: Linda Maclin (1967), Mary Jane Roark (1969)
- Charles and Theresa Brown Scholarship Recipient: Hannah Kiefer (2008)
- Children's Champion award: Nancy Redd (2004), Mariah Rice (2005)
- Quality of Life Award Finalists: Adrianna Sgarlata (2007), Tara Wheeler (2008), Caitlin Uze (2011), Courtney Garrett (2015)
- Waterford Crystal Business Scholarship: Cullen Johnson (1995)
|Year||Name||Hometown||Age||Local Title||Miss America Talent||Placement at Miss America||Special scholarships at Miss America||Notes|
|2017||Cecili Weber||Ironton, Ohio||22||Miss Arlington||Contemporary Dance||TBD||TBD||Eligible as a student at Hollins University; previously Miss Ohio's Outstanding Teen 2010|
|2016||Michaela Gabriella Sigmon||Chesapeake||21||Miss Greater Richmond||Tap Dance “Let’s Get Loud” by Jennifer Lopez|
|2015||Savannah Lane||Midlothian||19||Miss Piedmont Region||Vocal "Don't Rain on My Parade" from Funny Girl||Top 15|
|2014||Courtney Garrett||Pamplin||21||Miss State Fair of Virginia||Classical Vocal "Parla Piu Piano"||1st runner-up||Miss Virginia's Outstanding Teen 2009 and Top 10 at Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2010|
|2013||Desiree Williams||Newport News||24||Miss Arlington||Piano "Cubana Cubana" by Maksim Mrvica||National Sweetheart 2012 and later Miss Virginia USA 2016|
|2012||Rosemary Willis||Chesapeake||21||Miss Roanoke Valley||Vocal "I Who Have Nothing"|
|2011||Elizabeth Crot||Chesapeake||23||Miss Arlington||Classical Vocal "Sempre Libera" from La traviata||Top 15|
|2010||Caitlin Uze||Arlington||22||Miss Greater Richmond||Irish Treble Reel Dance "Riverdance Finale"||Top 10||Quality of Life Finalist, Marion A. Crooker Award|
|2009||Chinah Helmandollar*||Hardy||Miss Smith Mountain Lake||Top 10 at Miss Virginia 2009, Assumed title when Caressa Cameron won the Miss America title|
|Caressa Cameron||Fredericksburg||21||Miss Arlington||Vocal "Listen"||Winner||Preliminary Talent Award||4th runner-up at National Sweetheart 2006|
|2008||Tara Wheeler||Woodbridge||24||Miss Arlington||Vocal "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"|
|2007||Hannah Kiefer||High Point, North Carolina||21||Miss Mountain Empire||Classical Ballet en Pointe "The Chocolate Dance" from The Nutcracker||3rd runner-up||2008 Charles and Theresa Brown Scholarship||Eligible as a student at Hollins University|
|2006||Adrianna Sgarlata||Fairfax Station||24||Miss Arlington||Classical Vocal "Chi Il Bel Sogno di Doretta" from La rondine||Quality of Life Finalist|
|2005||Kristi Lauren Glakas||Centreville||24||Miss Apple Blossom Festival||Vocal "In His Eyes" from Jekyll & Hyde||3rd runner-up||Preliminary Swimsuit Award||Triple Crown winner: Miss Virginia Teen USA 1999 and Top 10 at Miss Teen USA 1999, Miss Virginia USA 2004|
|2004||Mariah Rice||Mechanicsville||24||Miss Greater Richmond||Lyrical Dance "I Am Changing"||Children's Champion Award|
|2003||Nancy Redd||Martinsville||22||Miss Martinsville-Henry County||Piano "Malagueña"||Top 10||Preliminary Swimsuit Award, Children's Champion Award|
|2002||Jennifer Pitts||Arlington||24||Miss Apple Blossom Festival||Contemporary Ballet en Pointe "Standing in Motion" by Yanni||Contestant at National Sweetheart 2001, Miss Virginia USA 2005|
|2001||Meghan Shanley||Virginia Beach||21||Miss Hampton Holly Days Festival||Vocal "Big Time"|
|2000||Jacqueline Cook||Colonial Heights||24||Miss Hampton/Newport News||Jazz en Pointe "Jump, Shout, Boogie"|
|1999||Crystal Evans (Lewis)||Portsmouth||21||Miss Lynchburg Festival||Vocal "I Believe in You and Me"||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1998||Nita Booth*||Tidewater||Miss Tidewater||Vocal||First African American titleholder|
|Nicole Johnson||Virginia Beach||24||Miss Lynchburg Festival||Vocal "That's Life"||Winner|
|1997||Kelli Quick||Lynchburg||20||Miss Lynchburg Festival||Vocal "I Go To the Rock" from The Preacher's Wife||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1996||Michelle Kang||Fredericksburg||22||Miss Apple Blossom Festival||Classical Piano "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2"||Non-finalist Talent Award||First minority winner|
|1995||Amber Medlin||Virginia Beach||23||Miss Virginia Beach||Classical Piano "Polonaise in A flat, Op. 53"||Assumed Ballengee's title|
|Andrea Ballengee||Yorktown||Miss Hampton/Newport News||Dance||Won title after placing runner-up for two years. She was initially allowed to keep her title after it was discovered she had embellished her academic record, but was stripped of her crown later the same month after further discrepancies were revealed. Miss Virginia Teen USA 1992 and Semi-finalist at Miss Teen USA 1992, Mrs. America 2006 as Mrs. California and Top 10 at Mrs. World, married name Andrea Preuss|
|1994||Cullen Johnson||Norfolk||23||Miss Central Shenandoah Valley||Classical Piano "Sonata Pathetique"||1st runner-up||Preliminary Swimsuit Award, Waterford Crystal Business Scholarship|
|1993||Nancy Glisson||Williamsburg||22||Miss Lynchburg Festival||Popular Vocal "I Will Always Love You"||4th runner-up|
|1992||Lora Flattum||Isle of Wight||24||Miss Apple Blossom Festival||Classical Piano "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C Minor"||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1991||Sheri Huffman||Lynchburg||23||Miss Amhearst County||Vocal "If I Can Dream"||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1990||Shannon DePuy||Lynchburg||19||Miss Amherst County||Classical Piano "Revolutionary Etude"||Top 10||Miss Florida USA 1995 and Finalist at Miss USA 1995|
|1989||Tami Elliott||Newport News||24||Miss Portsmouth-Seawall Festival||Gymnastics Dance Routine "The Phantom of the Opera"||Non-finalist Talent Award||Mrs. Virginia|
|1988||April Fleming||23||Miss Richmond|
|1987||Heidi Lammi||Alexandria||26||Miss Northern Virginia||Ballet en Pointe "Grande Tarantelle"||Top 10|
|1986||Julianne Smith||Yorktown||21||Miss Williamsburg||Vocal "Golden Rainbow"||1st runner-up||Preliminary Swimsuit Award||Toured with the 1987 Gillette Miss America Show Troupe|
|1985||Kimberly Johnson||Coeburn||19||Miss Lonesome Pine||Vocal & Piano "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"|
|1984||Susan Carter Parker||Covington||23||Miss Alleghany Highlands||Classical Vocal "My Man's Gone Now"||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1983||Lisa Aliff||Roanoke||23||Miss Vinton Dogwood Festival||Vocal & Dance "Manhattan" & "Broadway Rhythm"|
|1982||Beverly Cooke||Richmond||24||Miss Portsmouth-Seawall Festival||Vocal Medley "Smile" & "Happy Days Are Here Again"||Mother of Miss Virginia's Outstanding Teen 2006 Brittany Young|
|1981||Vicky Pulliam||Martinsville||21||Miss Martinsville/Henry County||Semi-classical Vocal "Art Is Calling For Me" from The Enchantress by Victor Herbert|
|1980||Holly Jereme||Roanoke||23||Miss Roanoke Valley||Vocal & Dance "City Lights"|
|1979||Darlene McIntosh||Chesapeake||22||Miss Chesapeake||Classical Piano "Prelude in C sharp minor"|
|1978||Paige Brown*||Alexandria||Miss Fairfax County|
|Kylene Barker||Galax||22||Miss Pulaski County||Gymnastics Routine "Gonna Fly Now" & "Feelin So Good"||Winner|
|1977||Terri Bartlett||Newport News||24||Miss Norfolk||Classical Piano "Rhapsody in C Minor"||Non-finalist Talent Award||Contestant at Miss Teenage America 1969|
|1976||Pamela Polk||Richmond||22||Miss Peanut Festival||Classical Vocal "Mi Chiamano Mimi" from La bohème||Top 10||Preliminary Talent award||Toured with Miss America USO Troupe|
|1975||Joan Grady||Virginia Beach||21||Miss Virginia Beach||Classical Vocal "Vissi d'arte"|
|1974||Stephanie Dowdy||Virginia Beach||18||Miss Virginia Beach||Vocal "I've Gotta Be Me"|
|1973||Elinda Gail Vandeventer||Pulaski||20||Miss Pulaski||Classical Vocal "The Telephone Aria"|
|1972||Dona Marie Pillow||Lynchburg||22||Miss Lynchburg||Vocal Medley "Memories"||Cousin of country singer Ray Pillow|
|1971||Linda Moyer||Norfolk||20||Miss Norfolk||Vocal & Dance||Preliminary Swimsuit Award||Toured with the Miss America USO Troupe|
|1970||Jeannette Smith||Roanoke||19||Miss Roanoke Valley||Classical Piano "Toccata" by Aram Khachaturian|
|1969||Sydney Lewis||Hampton||19||Miss Hampton/Newport News||Original Monologue "Prisoner at the Bar"||Non-finalist Talent Award||Contestant at Maid of Cotton 1971|
|1968||Cherie Davis||Clifton Forge||20||Miss Alleghany Highlands||Classical Vocal "Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix"||Top 10||Preliminary Talent award||Featured performer on Miss America 1969 telecast|
|1967||Barbara Yost||Roanoke||19||Miss Roanoke Valley||Piano Solo "Grande valse brillante in E flat major"|
|1966||Linda Maclin||Roanoke||18||Miss Roanoke Valley||Modern Jazz Dance||Miss Congeniality|
|1965||Jean Inge||Norfolk||22||Miss Norfolk||Speech about Politics & Government entitled "Democracy"|
|1964||Carolyn Eddy||Norfolk||21||Miss Norfolk||Dramatic Reading||Non-finalist Talent Award|
||Miss Rockbridge County||Vocal Medley "Près des remparts de Séville" from Carmen & Songs from West Side Story||Top 5||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1962||Patricia Gaulding||Richmond||19||Miss Richmond||Caricature Sketching & Original Comedy Monologue||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1961||Charlotte Thomas||Roanoke||19||Miss Lynchburg||Piano "Malagueña"|
|1960||Catherine Birch||Staunton||19||Miss Bristol||Classical Ballet|
|1959||Alice Sue Williams||Richmond||19||Miss Williamsburg||Dramatization of Designing & Sewing Fashions||Non-finalist Talent Award||Contestant at Miss Dixie 1960|
|1958||Barbara Guthrie||Martinsville||Miss Martinsville||Drama||Contestant at Miss Dixie 1959|
|1957||Rebecca Lee Edmunds||Roanoke||Miss Roanoke Valley||Dance|
|1956||Rebecca Richardson||Martinsville||Miss Martinsville||Art Display & Piano||Non-finalist Talent Award|
|1955||Betty Sue Mathews||Norfolk||Miss Virginia Beach||Vocal "There's No Business Like Show Business"|
|1954||Julie Ann Bruening||Swoope||Miss Staunton-Augusta County||Charcoal Sketch of The Statue of Liberty|
|1953||Anne Lee Ceglis||Norfolk||Classical Vocal "Un Bel Di" from Madama Butterfly||2nd runner-up||Preliminary Talent Award|
|1948||Bobby Joe Wilson||Hillsville|
|1947||Ruth Mears||Cape Charles||Speech|
|1946||Bette Cannon||Alexandria||Monologue "The Waltz" by Dorothy Parker|
|1943||Dorothy Taylor||Richmond||Competed as Miss Richmond|
|1941||Jacquelyn McWin||Waynesboro||Top 15|
|1939||Rose Marie Elliott||Suffolk||Vocal "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"||4th runner-up|
|1938||Kathleen Mann||North Arlington|
|1937||Frances L. Sultan||Kecoughtan||Top 16|
|1936||Dolores Taylor||Ocean View||Top 15|
|Mary Virginia Ash||Phoebus||Competed as Miss Virginia Peninsular|
|1933||Evangeline Glidewell||Danville||17||Miss Danville||3rd runner-up|
|1926||No Miss Virginia||Eleanor V. Reid competed as Miss Norfolk and was a Finalist.|
|1925||No Miss Virginia||Dorothea Prince competed as Miss Norfolk.|
|1923||No Miss Virginia||Phyllis Gates competed as Miss Richmond.|
* Succeeded to the crown after Miss Virginia won Miss America
- Weil, Martin (2010-01-31). "Caressa Cameron, formerly Miss Virginia, wins Miss America 2010 title". Washington Post.
- Moyer, Laura (1996-08-12). "Think Pageant Queens have it easy? Try keeping up with Miss Virginia". The Free Lance-Star.
- "Chinah Helmandollar assumes title of Miss Virginia" (PDF) (Press release). Miss Virginia Organization. 2010-02-01.
- Jones, Beth (2005-06-25). "Another tiara on the nightstand". The Roanoake Times.
- "Beauty Pageants Advance Careers". The Christian Science Monitor004.
- Helms, Alexis (26 June 2017). "Miss Arlington wins Miss Virginia pageant". Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- "Hollins University graduate wins Miss Virginia". The Roanoke Times. June 25, 2017.
- "Miss D.C., Maryland and Virginia vie for Miss America crown — and big scholarship money". The Washington Post. Washington, D.C.: Nash Holdings. July 17, 2011. Retrieved June 21, 2015.
- Harvey, Neil (2010-02-04). "Runner-up fills pageant void". The Roanoake Times.
- Mitchell, Whitney (2007-07-13). "Miss Virginia's on top of the world". The Roanoake Times.
- Rogers, Christina (2005-06-26). "GMU student is crowned Miss Virginia". The Roanoake Times.
- "Miss Oklahoma, Miss Virginia Win Preliminary Awards". CMT. 2006-01-18.
- Jones, Beth (2004-06-28). "For Miss Virginia, 'a story of triumph'". The Roanoake Times.
- Associated Press (2000-07-03). "Miss Virginia 2000 Crowned". The Free Lance-Star.
- Associated Press (1998-09-23). "Miss Virginia's Victory Means Successor Rules". The Free Lance-Star.
- Moyer, Laura (1996-07-01). "Miss Virginia Hails from Hartwood". The Free Lance-Star.
- Moyer, Laura (1996-09-26). "Win or No Win, Miss Virginia Remains Upbeat". The Free Lance-Star.
- Reed, David (1995-07-26). "Official at Last: Miss Virginia title, tiara goes to runner-up". The Free Lance-Star.
- "New Miss Virginia to Keep Crown". Charleston Daily Mail. 1995-07-07.
- Reed, David (2007-07-20). "Pageant Organizers Strip Miss Virginia of Crown". Associated Press.
- AP (1994-07-04). "Fourth Time is Charm for Miss Virginia". The Free Lance-Star.
- "Miss Virginia 1982 won the crown on second try". The Free Lance-Star. 1982-07-12.
- Platt, Ryan (November 8, 2010). "Senior crowned Miss Greater Richmond". Breeze JMU.
- Ward, Matthew (2015-01-26). "Former Miss Virginia from Suffolk dies". Suffolk News-Herald. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- "Danville Girl Declared Best Looker In Virginia", The Bee, 2 Sep 1933 Retrieved 19 Feb 2015