Miss World 2007
|Miss World 2007|
Miss World 2007 Titlecard
|Date||1 December 2007|
|Presenters||Angela Chow, Fernando Allende|
|Entertainment||Duncan James, Haikou Artistic Group, The South African Mvezo Choir & No. 9 Primary School of Sanya|
|Venue||Crown of Beauty Theatre, Sanya, China PR|
|Broadcaster||Shanghai Media Group, STAR World|
|Withdraws||Barbados, Cambodia, Congo Democratic Republic, Guernsey, Liberia, Malawi, Portugal, St. Lucia, Tahiti, Uruguay, Zambia|
|Returns||Albania, Belize, Grenada, Lithuania, Nepal, New Zealand, Paraguay, Sierra Leone, Suriname, Swaziland, Uganda|
Miss World 2007, the 57th edition of the Miss World pageant, was held on 1 December 2007 at the Crown of Beauty Theatre in Sanya, China PR. It was hosted by Fernando Allende and Angela Chow. Zhang Zilin of China PR won the crown and succeeded Taťána Kuchařová of the Czech Republic. At an official press conference called on July 7, the Miss World organization announced that the delegates were expected in Sanya by November 2. They visited a number of popular spots in mainland China and view the preparation for the 2008 Olympic Games.
Unlike 2005 and 2006 editions, Miss World 2007 did not have "continental zones" in the selection of the semi-finalists, i.e. all the contestants vied for the 10 semi-finals spots. Another 5 spots were for the winners of the Beach Beauty, Sports, Top Model, Talent, and Beauty with a Purpose contests, but there was a tie in the Beauty with a Purpose contest, so the number of semi-finalists increased to 16. The format was similar to that used in 2004, with the exclusion of the "Contestant's Choice" award.
The 106 contestants recorded the official torch relay anthem Light the Passion, Share the Dream for the 2008 Olympics Games as a major cooperation between the Beijing Olympic Committee and Miss World Limited. The song had its first broadcast to a global audience at the 57th Miss World final on December 1.
In addition, to coincide with World AIDS Day, the pageant presented a special tribute to the fight against AIDS, with a televised speech from former South African President Nelson Mandela and the presence of his daughter and grandson, along with traditional dancers from South Africa who joined the contestants in a special song. this is the first time China PR won the title of Miss World.
- 1 Results
- 2 Judges
- 3 Contestants
- 4 Notes
- 5 References
- 6 External links
|Miss World 2007|
Continental Queens of Beauty
|Asia & Oceania|
- Best World Dress Designer
Order of announcements
* Officially it is Top 16. 6 of them got automatic semi-finals slot as they won a fast track event. They are: Dominican Republic, United States, China PR, Ghana, Ecuador, and Hong Kong China.
Fast Track Events
The Miss World Beach Beauty was selected on the November 10.
The Miss World Sports was selected on November 14.
The Miss World Top Model was selected on November 24.
The Miss World Talent was selected on November 26.
|Miss World Talent||
Beauty with a Purpose
A panel of ten illustrious personalities chose Miss World 2007. They are:
- Julia Morley (UK) - President and CEO of Miss World, Limited.
- Duncan James (UK) - Member of the boy band Blue, now an actor and TV presenter
- Annabel Croft (UK) - Former tennis star and television presenter
- Ben de Lisi (Italy) - Renowned fashion designer
- Li Xiao Bai (China PR) - Managing Director of New Silk Road Modelling Agency
- Bruce Zhao (China PR) - Chairperson of the Huayu Group
- Makaziwe Mandela (South Africa) - Daughter of Nelson Mandela, industrialist and philanthropist
- Neal Hamil (United States) - Managing Director of Elite Models
- Krish Naidoo (Ireland) - Miss World International Ambassador, entrepreneur, works with many charitable organizations
- Elena Franchuk (Ukraine) - Founder of the Anti-AIDS Foundation of Ukraine
Last competed in 1981:
Last competed in 1988:
Last competed in 1996:
Last competed in 2003:
Last competed in 2004:
Last competed in 2005:
- Albania - The Miss & Mister Albania organization replaced Egla Harxhi, Miss Albania 2007, with Elda Dushi, because of unknown reasons.
- Belarus - Miss Belarus 2006 1st runner-up, Yulia Sindzeyeva, was supposed to compete in Miss World; however, she attended the Miss International contest in Japan, where she became 2nd runner-up. A contract with the Japanese organization prevents her from attending the Miss World contest. 2nd runner-up, Alena Aladka, took her place.
- Curaçao - Lisaika Everitz, Miss World Curaçao, was not accepted as Curaçao's entry to Miss World 2007 because of not meeting age requirements. She was replaced with Naemi Monte. Since Monte did not turn in the official application to the national organization before the deadline established by Miss World Ltd, the franchiseholder appointed a new delegate: Mckeyla Richards. After this action, Naemi Monte decided to file a lawsuit against the franchiseholder, Reprod, to regain the right to represent the island at the international pageant. On October 17, a jury decided in favor of Reprod, ending the dispute between both.
- Latvia - Ina Avlasēviča, Miss Latvia 2006, was competed in Miss World 2008. The organization sent Kristīne Djadenko, a former Miss Latvia, to that year's pageant.
- Vietnam - Miss Sea 2007 as well as Miss Vietnam World 2007's second runner-up Đặng Minh Thu was named by Elite Vietnam as the country's candidate at Miss World 2007. Earlier offered Miss World's ticket to Miss World Vietnamese 2007 Ngô Phương Lan, who turned it down in order to focus on her studies in Switzerland.
- U.S. Virgin Islands - Esonica Veira
- Barbados - Natalie Griffith
- British Virgin Islands - Leilani Stevens
- Chinese Taipei - Yen Chin Li
- Guernsey - Hannah McLaughlin
- Malawi - Peth Msinska
- Switzerland - Amanda Ammann (competed in Miss Universe 2008 and unplaced)
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Congo Republic - Pupuce Ngalla Ibata, national director of Miss Congo (COMICO) affirmed that Congo will not take part in Miss World 2007. The reason being that Miss World Organization never replied to their application for the franchise. However, she will try to get the franchise next year.
- Congo DR
- Liberia - The Miss Liberia 2007/2008 is scheduled for November 23 of 2007, just one week before the Miss World 2007 finals takes place.
- Saint Lucia - Yasmin Walcott, national director of Miss Saint Lucia World, informed that the island won't be represented in Miss World 2007.
- Sint Maarten - Fabiana Arnell, national director of Sint Maarten Queen's competition has informed that reports about Shanyra Richardson's participation in Miss World are not true, but she is interested in taking part in future Miss World competitions.