Miss World 2010
|Miss World 2010|
Miss World 2010 Alexandria Mills
|Date||30 October 2010|
|Venue||Crown of Beauty Theatre, Sanya, China|
Miss World 2010, the 60th anniversary of the Miss World pageant, was held on 30 October 2010 at the Crown of Beauty Theatre in Sanya, China after Vietnam backed out of the hosting contract. 115 contestants from all over the world competed for the crown. Kaiane Aldorino of Gibraltar crowned her successor Alexandria Mills of the United States at end of the event.
|Miss World 2010|
Continental Queens of Beauty
|Asia & Pacific||
The judges for Miss World 2010 were:
- Julia Morley – Chairwoman of the Miss World Organization
- Denise Perrier – Miss World 1953 from France
- Ann Sidney – Miss World 1964 from United Kingdom
- Mary Stävin – Miss World 1977 from Sweden
- Agbani Darego – Miss World 2001 from Nigeria
- María Julia Mantilla – Miss World 2004 from Peru
- Zhang Zilin – Miss World 2007 from China
- Ksenia Sukhinova – Miss World 2008 from Russia
- Krish Naidoo – Miss World International Ambassador
- Mike Dixon – Miss World Musical Director
- Zhao Benshan – Actor & Comedian
- Bruce Zhao – Chairperson of the Huayu Group
- Andrew Minarik – Miss World Make-Up & Hairdresser
It was reported that Beijing may have pressured the judges to provide low scores for Mariann Birkedal, Miss Norway, because the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to one of its political prisoners, Liu Xiaobo. During the time of the pageant, relations between China and Norway were "very strained."
- Argentina – Carla Conrradi resigned as Miss Mundo Argentina. The 1st runner up, Marianna Arambarry was the new titleholder and Argentina's representative at Miss World 2010.
- Hong Kong – Due to a schedule conflict of competing in Miss Chinese International Pageant 2010, Toby Chan, Winner of Miss Hong Kong 2010, cannot participate in the competition. The 1st runner-up, Sammi Cheung was representative at Miss World 2010.
- Hungary – Ágnes Dobó was Miss World Hungary 2010 until she injured her arm and wrist. This stopped her from participating in the pageant. She was replaced by one of her runner-up, Jennifer Kalo.
- Russia – Due to a schedule conflict of competing in Miss Universe 2010, Miss Russia 2010, Irina Antonenko was unable to participate in the competition. The 1st runner-up, Irina Sharipova was appointed as the Russian representative at Miss World 2010.
Vietnam backed out
On 8 June 2009, Mr. Hoang Kieu (RAAS Group Chairperson) and Mrs. Morley publicly agreed on Nha Trang as host for Miss World 2010.
According to a manager of the Tien Giang Tourism JS Company, RAAS bought 31 hectares in total to build a tourism site for Miss World 2010, which led to a public debate about some national ecological reserves being devastated and people having to leave their homes due to increasing living costs.
On 28 January 2010, RAAS told Khanh Hoa People's Committee office to announce that they were no longer organising the event without an official explanation on the debate. Khanh Hoa Province then decided to host Miss World with new sponsors. RAAS would return as the main sponsor if another province was assigned as host.
Although Miss World 2010 was held in Sanya, China, RAAS Group was still in charge of the financial backing for the event. RAAS confirmed that Miss World would be back to Mỹ Tho, Tien Giang Province later in 2011 or 2012. However, according to many reliable newswire such as VnExpress, there is no way for Miss World being organised in Tien Giang Province in 2011 or 2012 under the umbrella of RAAS because Mr. Hoang Kieu owed the landlords in the province, involved in the tourism project millions of dollars,
- Vietnam should withdraw as Miss World 2010 host: official, Miss World 2010 relocation scandal brewing
- VnExpress – RAAS đơn phương rút khỏi Miss World 2010. Date: 28 January 2010. Accessed: 30 January 2010 (in Vietnamese)
- "MISS WORLD 2010: China charged with blocking favourite Miss Norway". Daily Mail. 31 October 2010. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Norwegian beauty lost Miss World over Norway, China dispute: report - NY Daily News
- "Did Nobel Peace Prize affect Miss World outcome?". USA Today. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- VietnamNet – "Hoa hậu" và những dự án đất Archived 31 October 2009 at Archive.today (in Vietnamese)
- "worldshowbiz.info - worldshowbiz Resources and Information". Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "worldshowbiz.info". Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "Page not found - Thanh Nien Daily". Thanh Nien Daily. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Thanh Nien Online – "Khanh Hoa begged off Miss World 2010" (in Vietnamese).
- "Hoang Kieu owed Tien Giang peasants millions of dollars 2sao.vn