Mission Consolidated Independent School District
In addition to most of Mission, the district serves most of Alton and part of Palmhurst, as well as a portion of West Sharyland census-designated place. It serves what was previously the CDP of Alton North.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2018)
On July 10, 1910 the district was established.
On the morning of September 21, 1989, the Alton bus crash occurred; one of the school district's buses was struck by a Dr. Pepper truck owned and operated by Valley Coca-Cola, in Alton, Texas. After impact with the truck, the school bus left the roadway and plunged into a caliche pit filled with water. Twenty-one students died in the accident and another sixty were injured. Alton Memorial Junior High School was named after this tragedy to remember the lost twenty-one students.
In 1998 96% of the district's students were Hispanic, and many had limited English proficiency. That year, the district tested 77% of its elementary school students for the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test. Victor Benavidez, the district's director of assessment, said "If we really wanted to play the game and exempt 5 percent more, then we could easily be exemplary. But we'd rather not. I think there is more respect from the community if you are testing more kids, even though your ratings are a little lower."
High Schools (Grades 9-12)
- Mission Collegiate High School (Alton)
Junior High Schools (Grades 6-8)
- Alton Memorial Junior High School (AMJHS) - Alton
- Rafael Cantu Junior High
- Kenneth White Junior High
- Mission Junior High
Elementary Schools (Grades PK-5)
- Alton Elementary
- Bryan Elementary
- Cantu Elementary
- Castro Elementary
- Cavazos Elementary
- Leal Elementary
- Marcell Elementary
- Midkiff Elementary
- Mims Elementary
- O'Grady Elementary
- Pearson Elementary
- Salinas Elementary
- Waitz Elementary
- "Exemptions linked to high TAAS scores Houston schools' practice criticized." Associated Press at The Dallas Morning News. Monday February 23, 1998. News 15A. Retrieved on November 28, 2011.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 2, 2018.
- "CENSUS 2000 BLOCK MAP: ALTON NORTH CDP." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 1, 2018.
- "2009 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2015-10-25.
- "Highway Accident Report - Collision between Mission Consolidated Independent School District School Bus and Valley Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Inc. Tractor-Semitrailer Intersection of Bryan Road and Texas Farm-to-Market Road 676 Alton, Texas September 21, 1989" (PDF). National Transportation Safety Board. p. 17 (PDF p. 24/95).
- Fischler, Jacob (2014-09-21). "Remembering the 21: Sunday is 25th anniversary of Alton bus tragedy". The Monitor. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- Microsoft Word - list-2003.doc