Mississinawa Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Mississinawa Township, Darke County, Ohio|
Fields and woods in Mississinawa Township
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
|• Total||29.3 sq mi (76.0 km2)|
|• Land||29.3 sq mi (75.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
|• Density||26/sq mi (9.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086018|
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Gibson Township, Mercer County - north
- Allen Township - east
- Jackson Township - south
- Jackson Township, Randolph County, Indiana - southwest
- Madison Township, Jay County, Indiana - northwest
No municipalities are located in Mississinawa Township.
Name and history
The first settler within the bounds of today's Mississinawa Township was Philip Reprogle, who arrived in 1833. Six years passed before the township's establishment in March 1839; it was created from a part of Jackson Township. Its borders were later extended northward to include part of Gibson Township when the rest of that township became part of Mercer County. The first church in the township was a Methodist congregation that was established in 1851, while the township's first school was founded at an unknown date.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Roger Fortkamp, Edward Rauh, and Robert Stump, and the clerk is Sharon Fortkamp.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mississinawa township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County; Its Cities, Towns, Etc. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 391.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Wilson, Frazer Ells (1914). History of Darke County, Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time. Hobart Publishing Company. p. 547.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.