Mississippi (Bob Dylan song)
|Song by Bob Dylan|
|from the album Love and Theft|
|Released||September 11, 2001|
|Love and Theft track listing|
"Mississippi" is the second song on Bob Dylan's 2001 album Love and Theft. The song was originally recorded during the Time Out of Mind sessions (demo sessions in Fall 1996; official album sessions in January 1997), but it was ultimately left off the album. Dylan rerecorded the song for Love and Theft in May 2001. Described as having beauty and gravitas, the song features a pop chord progression and with a riff and lyrical theme similar to "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again".
Three outtakes of the song from the Time Out Of Mind sessions were included in Dylan's 2008 "official" bootleg album Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1989–2006 (two versions on the generally released discs and one on a bonus disc included with the Deluxe Edition of the album).
Dylan offered the song to Sheryl Crow, who recorded it for her The Globe Sessions, released in 1998, before Dylan revisited it for Love and Theft. Crow's version reworked the song's melody, phrasing, and arrangement, and has been described contrastingly as "remarkable" and as "forgettable, head-bopping pop".
In 2009, Rolling Stone named "Mississippi" the 17th best song of the decade, calling it "A drifter's love song that seems to sum up Dylan's entire career, and a rambling classic that ranks up there with 'Tangled Up in Blue'."
Rolling Stone also listed the song at #260 on its list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The magazine also listed "Mississippi" at number 21 on its list of the "100 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs". American Songwriter included it at #25 on its list of "the 30 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs."
- Bill Janovitz (2008). "'Mississippi' review", AllMusic.
- "Bob Dylan: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1986-2006 Album Review | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "For A&m, The Globe's The Limit On Third Sheryl Crow Album", By MELINDA NEWMAN, Publication: Billboard, Date: Saturday, August 29, 1998
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine (2008). "The Globe Sessions review", AllMusic.
- Willman, Chris (2007). Rednecks and Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music. ISBN 1-59558-218-5.
- "100 Best Songs of the 2000s: Bob Dylan, 'Mississippi'". Rolling Stone. 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Stone, Rolling (2011-04-07). "500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- Stone, Rolling (2016-05-24). "100 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "The 30 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs: #25 "Mississippi" « American Songwriter". American Songwriter. 2009-04-07. Retrieved 2018-07-10.