March 31, 1897
Benton, Louisiana, United States
|Died||January 14, 2011
(aged 113 years, 289 days)
Shreveport, Louisiana, United States
|Residence||Shreveport, Louisiana, United States|
|Known for||Oldest African American & Louisiana resident|
|Parent(s)||Mack and Ellen Winn|
Mississippi Winn (March 31, 1897 – January 14, 2011) was an African American supercentenarian. At the age of 113 years, 289 days, she was the seventh oldest person in the world at the time of her death. She became the oldest resident in Louisiana upon the death of Maggie Renfro on January 22, 2010. After Daisey Bailey's death on March 7, 2010, Winn became the oldest living African American. She was claimed to be the last living child of former slaves, according to census records. Other children of former slaves have since been found. She moved into the list of the verified oldest women on December 4, 2010, and into the list of the verified oldest people on January 8, 2011.
Mississippi Winn was born in Benton, Louisiana in 1897. She was the 13th of 15 children born to Mack and Ellen Winn. She was a housekeeper all of her life and cleaned and cooked her own meals until the age of 103 when she moved into Magnolia Manor Nursing Home in Shreveport in 2001.
Winn avoided dairy products, and took one vitamin and aspirin per day. Her favorite foods were fruits and vegetables. She was baptized at the age of 11 at Providence Baptist Church in Benton, LA. She later joined Avenue Baptist Church, where she was a member for 82 years. Members from the church presented her with a plaque entitled "The Marriage of Avenue Baptist Church and Miss Mississippi Winn." She received a letter from President Barack Obama.
- List of the verified oldest women
- List of the verified oldest people
- List of supercentenarians from the United States
- Campbell, Gwen (2010-03-29). "March 29, 2010 - SHREVEPORT TO CELEBRATE THE BIRTHDAY OF THE NATION’S OLDEST AFRICAN AMERICAN". City of Shreveport. Retrieved 2010-04-05.
- "Born before Wright Brothers flew, world's oldest person dies at 114". CNN. February 1, 2011.
- Bradley, Christine (2010-04-01). "La.'s oldest resident celebrates 113 years". Shreveport Times. Retrieved 2010-04-05.