Mississippi stud is a casino table game based on poker introduced by Scientific Games. It has been identified by The Motley Fool as part of a new generation of table games designed to appeal to younger players by offering easier-to-learn strategies while having a lower house advantage than traditional blackjack.
Like other poker-based table games, such as Caribbean stud, Let It Ride, and Three Card Poker, Mississippi stud is a "house-banked" game, meaning the players are playing against a house dealer, not other players at the table as in other poker games. Unlike the other house banked games, Mississippi stud hands are not compared to a dealer's hand, but only against a payout table that pays out on the result of the player's hand. In this regard it is similar to video poker.
In Mississippi stud, each player first places an ante bet to buy into the game. The dealer then deals two hole cards face down to each player and three community cards face down at the middle of the table. A player may then fold, forfeiting their ante, or they may continue by raising their bet by an amount of one to three times their ante, known as the "3rd Street" bet. The first community card is then turned over, and the players may fold or make another raise, the "4th Street" bet. The second community card is the turned, and the final "5th Street" round of betting proceeds as before. After that the final community card is revealed, and the player's are paid out based in the payouts below:
|Royal flush||500 to 1|
|Straight flush||100 to 1|
|Four of a kind||40 to 1|
|Full house||10 to 1|
|Flush||6 to 1|
|Straight||4 to 1|
|Three of a kind||3 to 1|
|Two pair||2 to 1|
|Pair of Jacks or better||1 to 1|
|Pair of 6s thru 10s||Push|
- Hwang, Jeff (February 28, 2015). "The Death of Blackjack and What Games Are Replacing It". The Motley Fool. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- Leonard Lipkin (May 28, 2013). The Sensuous Casino Dealer. BookBaby. pp. 164–. ISBN 978-1-62675-980-0.
- Ray, Randy (August 1, 2017). "Mississippi Stud Strategy – How to Play and Win this Poker Game". Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Elliot Frome (January 24, 2012). "Mississippi Stud is like 'Let It Ride on speed'". gamingtoday.com. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- "Mississippi Stud". wizardofodds.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.