Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education or DESE, autonomous of the governor and the Missouri State Legislature, administers primary and secondary public education in the state of Missouri. Local municipalities and their respective school districts operate individual public schools but the Department audits performance of public schools. The Department also makes recommendations to state leaders concerning education spending and policies. The department is headquartered in the Jefferson State Office Building in downtown Jefferson City, Missouri.
Top 10 by 20
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has launched Top 10 by 20, a major improvement effort that aims for student achievement in Missouri to rank among the top 10 states by 2020.
- All Missouri students will graduate college and career ready.
- All Missouri children will enter kindergarten prepared to be successful in school.
- Missouri will prepare, develop and support effective educators.
- The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education will improve departmental efficiency and operational effectiveness.
- http://www.sos.mo.gov/CMSImages/Publications/MissouriConstitution_05.13.2015.pdf Constitution of the State of Missouri
- "How to Contact Us." Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Retrieved on July 16, 2009.
- Top 10 by 20