||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2013)|
16 May 1985 |
|Occupation||Burlesque performer, actress, model|
An only child, Malone was born in 1985 and grew up in Livingston in Scotland. Throughout her childhood she attended dance and drama classes. She studied drama and art throughout high school and spent one school year training at 'Powder' circus school in Glasgow specialising in trapeze and stilt walking. Malone attended Edinburgh College of Art 2003–2007 graduating with a BA Hons Degree in Performance Costume Design. During school holidays as a teenager she worked in a local alternative record store. A huge fan of American popular culture she makes regular trips to Los Angeles. Malone specialised in striptease and acrobalance costumes and corsetry design for her final year of her costume design degree. She makes or customises/creates all her own performance costumes and has styled many photo shoots.
Inspired by classic American pin-up artwork particularly WWII aircraft nose art, she studied this imagery in her art work and costume designs. Classic American pin-up beauties remain to be a large influence on her style.
The distinctive white streak in Malone's naturally dark hair has been maintained since she was a teenager. Her father would affectionately call her 'Mallen' after the family from the 1979 TV series The Mallens.
Malone is most known for her work as a burlesque performer. As soon as Malone turned 18 she started performing. She developed a wide range of acts and is mostly known several: her stilt walking 9 ft ‘Bride’ act a tribute to the 1935 classic movie ‘Bride of Frankenstein', fan dance with 4 ft long white feather fans, 'Jack Frost' in a rich black velvet cloak, a variety of other acts including a champagne themed balloon dance, a gambling cowgirl act entitled "Ace of Spades", a classic 1950s bump and grind act "Comanche", and several character acts depicting cupid, a nurse, pirate, and sailor.
She quickly was recognised as Scotland’s top burlesque dancer. Malone also works regularly with her dance partner Leyla Rose, their double acts include a classic Hawaiian hula, a pillow fight, and a rock & roll military act.
From 2003 Malone became a regular performer in the British Burlesque scene, performing across the country in shows like Candybox burlesque in Birmingham and Torture Garden London. In August 2006 Malone performed at the Italian rockabilly festival 'Summer Jamboree' with her then dance partner Foxy (Rachel) Rouge for over 2000 people. Malone took up full-time work as a burlesque performer from December 2007 when she toured with The Damned on their 'twisted Cabaret' UK/Ireland tour.
She now regularly performs across continental Europe and the UK, she is a regular at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival each year and has appeared in a Bollywood movie 'Raftaar' and on Italian television.
In 2009, Malone hosted a large scale variety show alongside Leyla Rose as Part of The Glasgow Cabaret Festival. The Missy & Leyla Show was produced by Rhymes with Purple Productions and featured a line-up of performers that Malone and Rose chose themselves. Passing on her performance knowledge Malone now conducts burlesque workshops with her dance partner Leyla Rose throughout the UK.
At 15 years old Malone got her first professional acting job in a Scottish (H.E.B.S) Anti-Smoking television commercial (Club Smoking). Other commercial works include a Royal Bank of Scotland T.V Commercial and an Olympus magazine promotional advertisement, she has also been interviewed on several European television programmes.
Malone has appeared in several short and feature length films including
- Bootprints by King Creosote (2005) Music Video
- And Yet I feel Innocent by Ruth Paxton (2006) Short Film
- Big Men by Ruth Paxton (2007) Short Film
- She wanted to be burnt by Ruth Paxton (2007) Short Film
- Diamonds by The Damned (2008) music video
- New Town Killers by Richard Jobson (2008) Feature Film
- Paris/Sexy by Ruth Paxton (2009) Short Film.
Malone has featured in Bizarre magazine, Practical Photography, Borne Magazine, Alternative Magazine, ScotsGay, Custom Car Magazine, Kustom Magazine, I-ON Edinburgh Magazine, Shimmy Magazine, The List magazine, Pinstriping and Kustom Graphics Magazine, One and Milkcow Magazine. She has also been on the cover of The List, Burlesque Magazine, Leither, Fools in print and Civvy Street.
She has promoted and been the face of brands such as Buttress and Snatch, Vivien of Holloway, Toxico, Clutterfly Jewellery, What Katie Did, Lily Lo Lo Mineral cosmetics, Vintage Lime, Olympus cameras, Xbox game "Battlestations Midway" and "Battlestations Pacific". Missy is also signed up to Stolen Model Agency.
- (2 December 2005) Missy’s Official web page. missymalone.co.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2009
- From Across the Pond it’s Missy Malone, Shimmy Magazine, Spring 2007, Issue 5
- The Decadent Gent Missy Malone’s interview on Tassel Time tasseltime.net. Retrieved 9 September 2009
- Missy Malone, Sweet Sexy Success, Dani Risebury, Burlesque, Issue 1, November 2008
- This Life Andrew Burnet, Sunday Herald, People, 22 April 2007[dead link]
- The Decadent Gent Missy Malone’s interview on Tassel Time. Retrieved 9 September 2009[unreliable source?]
- Missy Malone, My I-on Edinburgh, October 2007
- In my life: Missy Malone, Amanda Murphy, Edinburgh in Season, Autumn 07
- Sexy Missy gets Scots’ feathers flying in Burlesque, The Sun, 29 January 2007, Page 23
- (3 February 2009) Glasgow Cabaret Festival. glasgowcabaretfestival.com. Retrieved 23 September 2009[dead link]
- (29 March 2005) Candybox Burlesque. candyboxburlesque.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009
- TG Productions Ltd (11 March 1998) Torture Garden. torturegarden.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009
- Missy, the queen of burlesque, Herald & Post, 19 July 2007
- (14 March 2000) The Damned. officialdamned.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009
This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)
- (2 May 2007) Olympus SP500UZ burlesque18.co.uk. Retrieved 9 September 2009[dead link]
- Lo show piu' buono che ci sia, All Music TV, 20 March 2008
- King Creosote, Bootprints 4 October 2005 Retrieved 9 July 2007
- She wanted To Be Burnt Movie Review 2007 Retrieved 5 September 2009.[not in citation given]
- Independent Film Company Retrieved 9 September 2009[dead link]
- Bookies for Rookies, Bizarre Magazine, November 2008
- Under Command, Photographer Julian Knight, Practical Photography, July 2008
- Americano. Ruth Paxton and Jannica Honey, Borne Magazine, issue 4, pages 13–22
- Alternative Pin-ups, Alternative Magazine, issue number 9, October 2007
- Doncaster Custom Car Show, Custom Car Magazine, December 2008
- 1 Burlesque Festival, Connie Douglas, Kustom, April 2008
- Missy malone... Burlesque Performer, Pinstriping and Kustom Graphics, issue 12, February 2008
- Burlesque is more, Paul F. Cocldium, One Magazine, May 2008
- Leither 47, November 2008
- Editor Lucy Keany, Fools in Print, Issue 2, July 2008
- Stricken Pose, Civvy Street, June/July 2008
- Deliciously decadent, Lawrence Winram, Metro, 14 February 2007
- "Dressed to impress at Vegas", Tom Maxwell, The Evening News, 13 July 2007
- "Night Moves", Kenny Hodgart, Glasgow Evening Times, 24 May 2007
- Buttress and Snatch buttressandsnatch.co.uk Retrieved 9 September 2009[dead link]
- Vivien of Holloway vivienofholloway.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009 Archived 17 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Toxico Clothing toxico.co.uk. Retrieved 9 September 2009 Archived 16 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Clutterfly Jewellery clutterflyjewellery.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009[dead link]
- What Katie Did lingerie whatkatiedid.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009
- Vintage Lime vintagelime.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009[dead link]
- Jessica’s Pin-ups jessicaspinups.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009
- Stolen Modelling Agency stolen-agency.com. Retrieved 9 September 2009[dead link]
- Contraband Candy covering the London Tattoo convention. contrabandcandy.com, Retrieved 9 September 2009 Archived 12 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Missy Malone.|