|Studio album by Grover Washington Jr.|
|Released||February 7, 1975|
|Recorded||November 1974; Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs|
|Grover Washington Jr. chronology|
Mister Magic is the fourth album by jazz saxophonist Grover Washington Jr., released in February 1975. The album topped both the soul and jazz albums chart and peaked at number ten on the pop chart.
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
In a contemporary review, Robert Christgau of The Village Voice gave Mister Magic a "B–" and found it "functional" and satisfactory for a commercially successful jazz album: "Washington plays a warm tenor in the pop jazz tradition of Gene Ammons, but the rhythm section percolates danceably, and the result is sexy background music only superficially marred by Bob James's strings."
In a retrospective review for Allmusic, Scott Yanow gave the album four-and-a-half out of five stars and said that it is "one of Grover Washington Jr.'s best-loved recordings and considered a classic of r&bish jazz." He found Washington to be in "particularly creative form" and called James' arrangements "colorful if somewhat commercial".
- "Earth Tones" (Bob James) – 12:20
- "Passion Flower" (Billy Strayhorn) – 5:30
- "Mister Magic" (Ralph MacDonald) – 8:58
- "Black Frost" (Bob James, Grover Washington Jr.) – 6:03
- Grover Washington Jr. – tenor, alto and soprano saxophones
- Bob James – arranged by, conductor, Fender Rhodes electric piano, piano
- Gary King, Phil Upchurch – bass
- Harvey Mason – drums
- Eric Gale – guitar
- Ralph MacDonald – percussion
- Jon Faddis, Marvin Stamm – trumpet, flugelhorn
- Phil Bodner – baritone saxophone
- Wayne Andre – trombone
- Tony Studd – bass trombone
- Jerry Dodgion – tenor saxophone
- Alan Shulman, Charles McCracken – cello
- Al Brown, Manny Vardi – viola
- David Nadien, Harold Kohon, Harry Glickman, Harry Lookofsky, Joe Malin, Matthew Raimondi, Max Ellen, Paul Gershman – violin
- Rudy Van Gelder – engineer
|Billboard Pop Albums||10|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||1|
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums||1|
- Maclaren, Trevor (July 13, 2004). "Grover Washington Jr.: Mister Magic". All About Jazz. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 203. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Christgau, Robert (June 16, 1975). "Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Yanow, Scott. "Mister Magic – Grover Washington Jr.". Allmusic. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- "Grover Washington Jr. US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Grover Washington Jr. US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.