Mistley railway station
|Managed by||Abellio Greater Anglia|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1854|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Mistley from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Mistley is a railway station serving the village of Mistley, in Essex, England. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by Abellio Greater Anglia. It is situated on the Manningtee to Harwich 'Mayflower Line'.
There is a siding on the up side at the country end which earlier had additionally included a long curved incline which allowed goods movements down to the quayside using horse power. This was later replaced by a spur with a much steeper incline down to the quays on the down side at the country end.
At the West or London end of the downside there are several sidings which were for movements to and from the malt works.
There was a signal box at the west end of the down platform, which having been taken out of service was rescued by the East Anglian Railway Museum. It is a Grade 1 listed building and today is again fully operational at the E.A.R.M at Chappel and Wakes Colne.
In 2013 the service on the 'Mayflower Line' sees an hourly train for most of the week, although a few extra services run during the morning and evening peak Monday to Friday. They operate between Manningtree and Harwich Town calling at all stations, although a few trains are extended to or from Colchester or London Liverpool Street.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Abellio Greater Anglia|
Line and station open
|Great Eastern Railway||
Line open, station closed
- Kay, Peter (2006). Essex Railway Heritage. Wivenhoe: Peter Kay. ISBN 978-1-899890-40-8.
- Mitchell, Vic (June 2011). Branch Lines to Harwich and Hadleigh. Midhurst: Middleton Press. plan III 1897 survey. ISBN 978-1-908174-02-4.
- Mitchell 2011, plan III and plate 19
- Mitchell 2011, plan III and plate 24
- "East Anglian Railway Museum". Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "London - Chelmsford, Colchester, Walton-on-Naze, Clacton, Harwich, Ipswich and Norwich" (PDF). Electronic National Rail Timetable. National Rail. 2012-12-09. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mistley railway station.|