||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Amsterdam Type Foundry
Excoffon based the form of the typeface on his own handwriting. The stroke has an informal graphic quality similar to brush and ink. The lowercase letters are carefully designed to connect on a line to an extent unusual in script fonts. Descenders are long, and increase the sense of motion. The face has several specially-designed ligatures (which have not been duplicated in digital versions). In lowercase Mistral is a true connecting script, similar to cursive writing.
In popular culture
Mistral was used extensively in the 1962–63 children's show Fireball XL5.
In 1983, the font was used for the title of the movie Flashdance.
In 1984, the font was used in the main title credits for the NBC sitcom Night Court.
The font was the logo type of the 1990s crime drama Silk Stalkings.
The font was used for the textual credits on Goosebumps.
The font was the logo type for the BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses throughout its run.
This font was named official font of the Penn State Singing Lions, Penn State University's premier singing and dancing ensemble.
In Australia, the Mistral font is used in the logo for the variety television show Hey Hey It's Saturday.
In the Philippines, the Mistral font was used in the ABC 5 logo from 2001 to 2004.
The Mistral font was used in the title and credits of the American sitcom Girlfriends.
In 2011, the font was used in hot-pink to advertise the 2011 film Drive.
The font is also used as the logo type for holiday operators Sandals.
- Soar, Matt. "Excoffon’s Autograph". Eye Magazine. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Fiedl, Frederich, Nicholas Ott and Bernard Stein. Typography: An Encyclopedic Survey of Type Design and Techniques Through History. Black Dog & Leventhal: 1998. ISBN 1-57912-023-7.
- Jaspert, W. Pincus, W. Turner Berry and A.F. Johnson. The Encyclopedia of Type Faces. Blandford Press Lts.: 1953, 1983. ISBN 0-7137-1347-X.
- Macmillan, Neil. An A–Z of Type Designers. Yale University Press: 2006. ISBN 0-300-11151-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mistral (typeface).|
- Excoffon's Autograph (many images and examples)
|This typography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|