Seka and Misty Dawn (right) together at Internext Pictures on January 4, 2005
May 15, 1963
Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.
|Other names||Marla Lee Gardner, Lori Holmes, Laura Wren, Laurie Holmes, Lori Rose, Laurie Diamond|
|Height||5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)|
|Weight||100 lb (45 kg; 7.1 st)|
|No. of adult films||70 (including compilations)
Misty Dawn (a.k.a. Marla Lee Gardner, Lori Holmes, Lori Rose, or Laurie Holmes; born May 15, 1963) is the stage name of a former adult industry performer. Dawn acted in pornographic films and videos, and was an exotic dancer. She married fellow pornographic actor John "Johnny the Wadd" Holmes in 1987, and after his death published his autobiography and appeared in several films about his life.
Dawn began performing in adult films in 1982, at age 19, and continued until about 1991. After taking a 15-year hiatus, she returned as a fluffer in The World's Biggest Gang Bang III – The Houston 620 (1999). She also appeared in Voyer Vision (2003). Over the course of her career Dawn worked for the Golden Age production companies Beate Uhse, Caballero Home Video, Filmco Releases, Gourmet Video Collection, VCA Pictures, and VCX.
As Laurie Holmes, she appeared in multiple documentaries about "Johnny Wadd" Holmes and the adult film industry, including: Wadd: The Life & Times of John C. Holmes (1998), The Other Hollywood (1999), XXXL: The John Holmes Story (2000), and John Holmes: The Man, the Myth, the Legend (2004).
For a brief time in the mid-1980s, she and Holmes partnered with Bill Amerson in an adult film company known as Penquin Productions. The couple also lived in Amerson's mansion in the hills of Sherman Oaks. Johnny Wadd Holmes was godfather to Amerson's children.
Dawn, using her legal married name, Laurie Holmes, posthumously released Holmes' memoir, Porn King: The Autobiography of John C. Holmes (1998). In 2012, BearManor Media published a revised edition of Porn King, which included added material and photos.
Holmes stopped making adult films in the early 1980s. According to Dawn, "John thought one porn person in the family was enough. And the AIDS thing was just starting to come out. Nobody had gotten it yet; but it was still in the back of our minds. He thought, ‘Well, if I’m going to take a chance, that’s enough.'"
Dawn was married to the adult film star John "The Wadd" Holmes from January 23, 1987 until his death on March 13, 1988, during which time he was stepfather to her young son. According to Dawn, they first met in December 1982 on the set of a film they were working on together in San Francisco, entitled Marathon. (Mike Sager reports the 19-year-old, first met Holmes on the set of Fleshpond, though they didn't work together on that film.) They remained close, and in 1987, five years after Holmes was arrested then released from jail in connection with the Wonderland Murders, they married in Las Vegas, at the Little Chapel of the Flowers, after Holmes had confided to her that he had AIDS. The wedding, at which Laurie wore white, was an ordeal for John who was ill, knew he was dying, and realized he and Laurie would not have much of a life together. "John kept the marriage secret," Dawn says, "because he was a very private person. Thus, when he died, many acquaintances in the industry and journalists reporting on his death were surprised to learn that we were married."
- Misty Dawn at the Internet Adult Film Database
- John Curtis Holmes and Laurie Holmes (31 January 2012). Porn King: The Autobiography of John C. Holmes (Revised ed.). BearManor Media. ISBN 1-59393-685-0.
- "Full Credits: Cast and Crew". The World's Biggest Gang Bang III - The Houston 620. 1999.
- Staff. Wadd: The Life & Times of John C. Holmes (1999) 105 min - Documentary, Adult, Biography - 12 January 2001 (USA). IMDB.com. Amazon. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Misty Dawn at the Internet Movie Database
- Jennifer Sugar and Jill C. Nelson (8 August 2008). John Holmes: A Life Measured in Inches. BearManor Media. ISBN 9781593933029.
- Holmes, John C. & Basten, Fred E. (June 1, 1998). Porn King: The Autobiography of John C. Holmes. Albuquerque, NM: Johnny Wadd, Inc. ISBN 1880047691.
- Holmes, John C. & Holmes, Laurie (2012). Porn King: The Autobiography of John C. Holmes (Revised ed.). Albany: BearManor Media. ISBN 978-1593936853.
- Sugar, Jennifer & Nelson, Jill C. (2008). John Holmes, A Life Measured in Inches. BearManor Media. ISBN 1-59393-302-9. (restricted-access site).
- Sager, Mike (May 1989). "The Devil and John Holmes". Rolling Stone.
- Basten, Fred; Laurie Holmes; John C. Holmes (1998). Porn King: The John Holmes Story. John Holmes Inc. ISBN 1-880047-69-1.