October 10, 1984
Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, Canada
|Residence||Sudbury, Ontario, Canada|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9 st 9 lb)|
|Division||Bantamweight (2011-present), Featherweight (2008-2011)|
|Reach||68 in (173 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Sudbury, Ontario, Canada|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts career
Gagnon began training in 2006 and made his professional MMA debut in September 2008. He fought exclusively in his native Canada and amassed a record of 8-1 before joining the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Gagnon was expected to make his UFC debut in Chicago, Illinois at UFC on Fox 2 against The Ultimate Fighter 14 alumnus Johnny Bedford. On January 25, 2012, the UFC announced the bout was cancelled due to Gagnon's visa issues.
Gagnon faced Bryan Caraway on July 21, 2012 at UFC 149. He lost the fight via submission in the third round. Despite the loss, Gagnon was given a Fight of the Night bonus award for his performance.
Gagnon was expected to face Alex Caceres on December 7, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 33. However, the bout was scrapped during the week leading up to the event due to an alleged visa issue for Gagnon, restricting his entry to Australia.
Gagnon was expected to face Aljamain Sterling on October 4, 2014 at UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Saffiedine. However, Sterling pulled out of the bout and was replaced by Rob Font. Subsequently, Font pulled out of the fight the week of the event and was replaced by Roman Salazar. Gagnon won via submission in the first round.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||12 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||12–3||Renan Barão||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Dollaway||December 20, 2014||3||3:53||Barueri, Brazil|
|Win||12–2||Roman Salazar||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Saffiedine||October 4, 2014||1||2:06||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||11–2||Tim Gorman||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale: Bisping vs. Kennedy||April 16, 2014||3||5:00||Quebec City, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||10–2||Dustin Kimura||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 165||September 21, 2013||1||4:05||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Submission of the Night|
|Win||9–2||Walel Watson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||1||1:09||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||8–2||Bryan Caraway||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 149||July 21, 2012||3||1:39||Calgary, Alberta, Canada||Fight of the Night|
|Win||8–1||David Harris||Submission (guillotine choke)||Ringside MMA 12: Daley vs. Fioravanti||October 21, 2011||1||2:09||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Bantamweight debut|
|Win||7–1||Rejean Groulx||Submission (slam)||Ringside MMA 10: Cote vs. Starnes||April 9, 2011||3||3:47||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Defended Ringside Featherweight Championship|
|Win||6–1||Guillaume Lamarche||Submission (guillotine choke)||Ringside MMA 6: Rage||April 10, 2010||1||0:52||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Won Ringside Featherweight Championship|
|Win||5–1||Stephane Bernadel||Submission (guillotine choke)||Wreck MMA: Fight for the Troops||December 11, 2009||1||0:38||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||4–1||Jeff Harrison||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Warrior-1 MMA 3: High Voltage||October 10, 2009||1||4:32||Gatineau, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||3–1||Eugenio Carpine||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ringside MMA 1: The Comeback||May 30, 2009||1||1:29||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||2–1||Will Romero||Decision (unanimous)||Xtreme MMA 7: House of Pain||February 27, 2009||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||2–0||Gabriel Lavallee||Submission (guillotine choke)||Xtreme MMA 6: House of Pain||November 8, 2008||1||2:18||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Dimitri Waardenburg||Submission (guillotine choke)||Xtreme MMA 5: It's Crow Time||September 13, 2008||1||2:32||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
- "Mitch Gagnon". tapology.com. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Josh Sequeira (April 15, 2014). "UFC Fighter Mitch Gagnon "A grappler by art"". grapplersplanet.com.
- "Replacement Mitch Gagnon meets Johnny Bedford at UFC on FOX 2". mmajunkie.com. December 28, 2011.
- "Bedford/Gagnon off". MMAJunkie.com. January 25, 2012.
- "Bryan Caraway vs. Mitch Gagnon added to UFC 149 in Calgary". www.mmajunkie.com. March 26, 2012.
- "Walel Watson vs. Mitch Gagnon slated for UFC 152 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. August 3, 2012. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "UFC 158 Fight Card Adds Mitch Gagnon vs. Issei Tamura". MMAWeekly.com. January 21, 2013.
- Staff (2013-02-19). "T.J. Dillashaw replaces Mitch Gagnon, meets Issei Tamura at UFC 158". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Mitch Gagnon vs. Dustin Kimura added to September's UFC 165 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-09-22). "UFC 165 bonuses: Jones, Gustafsson, Barao, Gagnon earn $50,000 honors". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Adam Ireland (2010-09-13). "Alex "Bruce Leeroy" Caceres takes on Mitch Gagnon in Brisbane". MMAKanvas.com. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Staff (2013-12-02). "Alex Caceres vs. Mitch Gagnon scratched from Friday's UFC Fight Night 33 main card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- Staff (2014-01-08). "TUF Nations Finale, Mitch Gagnon vs. Tim Gorman targeted for April 16". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- Keith Dempsey (2014-08-12). "Gagnon back to the octagon in October". thesudburystar.com. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Staff (2014-09-08). "Rob Font replaces Aljamain Sterling, faces Mitch Gagnon at UFC Fight Night in Halifax". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- Staff (2014-09-29). "Rob Font out, Roman Salazar meets Mitch Gagnon at UFC Fight Night 54". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- Matt Erickson (2014-10-15). "Former champ Renan Barao returns vs. Mitch Gagnon at UFC Fight Night 58". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-15.