|Member of the Los Angeles City Council from the 13th district|
|Assumed office |
July 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Eric Garcetti|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Mitch O'Farrell is an American politician and member of the Los Angeles City Council representing the 13th district. O'Farrell was elected on May 21, 2013 to succeed outgoing incumbent Eric Garcetti, the 42nd Mayor of Los Angeles.
O'Farrell was raised in Moore, a suburb south of Oklahoma City. He first moved to Los Angeles where he became a cruise ship dancer traveling the world and eventually ending up working as a dancer in a casino in the Bahamas. He eventually moved back to Los Angeles in the 1990s, settling in Glassell Park.
He became a community activist and started volunteering for his neighborhood. Eric Garcetti was running for City Council and he did some volunteer work for him. He was elected President of the Glassell Park Improvement Association and helped form the Neighborhood Council.
In 2002, he was hired by then Councilmember Garcetti to work in his office. He stayed for ten years. He was a field deputy, then deputy director, then district director and then senior advisor.
In 2019, O'Farrell put forth a motion to ban sleeping in vehicles in Los Angeles, despite community opposition. Weeks later O'Farrell put forth another motion to ban people experiencing homelessness from sitting or sleeping near parks, despite a 2018 federal ruling that banning sleeping in public places when shelter is unavailable is unconstitutional.
O'Farrell is one of two currently serving, openly gay Los Angeles city councilors.
- Stewart, Jill (22 May 2013). "Mitch O'Farrell Beats the Candidate From Nowhere, John Choi, and a Union Machine". Blogs.laweekly.com. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- "Mitch O'Farrell: Cruise Ship Performer to City Council Candidate". Kcet.org. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- "L.A. City Council votes to reimpose limits on living in vehicles". Los Angeles Times. 2019-07-30. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- Chandler, Jenna (2019-07-30). "LA reinstates ban on sleeping overnight in cars". Curbed LA. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- "L.A. is again considering limits on where homeless people can sleep — this time by schools and parks". Los Angeles Times. 2019-08-23. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- Zaveri, Mihir (2018-09-05). "Laws Punishing Homeless People for Sleeping in Public Are Cruel and Unusual, Court Rules". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- "Mitch | Mitch O'Farrell - Los Angeles City Council 13th District". cd13.lacity.org. Retrieved 2019-06-22.
| Los Angeles City Councilmember,
July 1, 2013 – present