Unrein with the Denver Broncos in 2011
|No. 98 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
March 25, 1987 |
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||299 lb (136 kg)|
|High school:||Eaton (CO)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Mitch Unrein (born March 25, 1987) is an American football defensive tackle for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He played college football at Wyoming.
In a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on December 2, 2012, Unrein lined up for the first time as at the fullback position. He then proceeded to catch his first career touchdown pass from quarterback Peyton Manning.
On April 11, 2013, Unrein signed a one-year, $630,000 tender.
The Broncos placed a one-year $1.431 million tender on Unrein on March 7, 2014.
San Diego Chargers
On September 24, 2015, the San Diego Chargers reinforced the tight end position, bringing back Kyle Miller nine days after he was waived on September 15. To make room, the team released Unrein.
Unrein was signed by the Chicago Bears on September 25, 2015. On November 9, 2015, he lined up at fullback against the San Diego Chargers. This was the first of many times he was used like this by the Bears. He ended the 2015 season with 32 tackles, two tackles-for-loss, and a sack.
On March 12, 2016, Unrein was re-signed by the Bears to a two-year contract.
In 2017, Unrein started eight out of 12 games played, recording a career-high 32 tackles and 2.5 sacks. He was placed on injured reserve on December 5, 2017.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
He has five siblings. His older brothers Mark and Mike, both played college football for the University of Northern Colorado Bears. His older sister Nicole, who also went to UNC, is a three-time All-American swimmer and still holds one of the top-10 records for the 100 meter backstroke in UNC history. He is also distant cousins with former NFL defensive end Terry Unrein, who was selected in the third round of the 1986 NFL Draft by the San Diego Chargers.
- "Mitch Unrein scores improbable TD in Broncos lineup switcheroo". 2 December 2012.
- "Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning throws TD to defensive lineman". NFL.com.
- "Mitch Unrein signs Broncos tender". ESPN.com. April 11, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- Legwold, Jeff (March 7, 2014). "Broncos tender Harris Jr., Unrein". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Chargers Sign Versatile DL Mitch Unrein". 18 March 2015.
- Mayer, Larry (February 9, 2016). "Focusing on Bears defensive line". Chicago Bears. Retrieved February 11, 2016.
- Jahns, Adam (March 12, 2016). "Bears to re-sign defensive lineman Mitch Unrein". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved March 12, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry (December 5, 2017). "Bears put veterans Long, Unrein on IR". ChicagoBears.com.
- Stroud, Rick (March 14, 2018). "Bucs agree to terms with Bears defensive lineman Mitch Unrein". TBO.com. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- Smith, Scott (March 16, 2018). "Bucs Add Mitch Unrein to D-Line". Buccaneers.com.
- Bates, Greg (January 31, 2014). "Olympians Take Time Out For Super Bowl". TeamUSA.org. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- Jones, Lindsay (November 6, 2011). "Eaton's own Mitch Unrein feels at home with Broncos". DenverPost.com. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "UNC Bears bio - Mark Unrein". Archived from the original on 2014-03-23.
- "UNC Bears bio - Mike Unrein". Archived from the original on 2014-03-23.
- "UNC All-Americans". Archived from the original on 2014-03-23.
- "UNC SWIMMING & DIVING TOP 10 ATHLETES". Archived from the original on 2014-03-23.
- Klis, Mike (October 7, 2012). "Klis: Mitch Unrein's jersey is big seller in Denver thanks to family". DenverPost.com. Retrieved 2014-03-23.