Mitchell Brown (rugby union)
|Date of birth||15 August 1993|
|Place of birth||New Plymouth, New Zealand|
|Height||1.94 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||110 kg (17 st 5 lb; 243 lb)|
|School||New Plymouth Boys' High School|
|Rugby union career|
Mitchell Brown (born 15 August 1993) is a New Zealand rugby union player who currently plays as a lock or loose forward for Taranaki in New Zealand's domestic Mitre 10 Cup and the Chiefs in the international Super Rugby competition.
Born and raised in New Plymouth on New Zealand's North Island, he attended New Plymouth Boys' High School in his hometown where he played first XV rugby. After leaving school, he started playing for Ingelwood in Taranaki's club rugby competition.
Brown debuted for his home province, Taranaki in a Ranfurly Shield defense against King Country in 2012 while aged just 18 years old, but had to wait until the following year before making his national provincial championship bow.
2014 saw him play 4 times, all from the replacements bench as Taranaki lifted the ITM Cup Premiership title with a 36-32 win over Tasman in the final. In 2015 he began to establish himself as a regular starter, playing 9 times, mainly as a lock as the Bulls were knocked out at the semi-final stage. They again reached the tournament's last 4 in 2016, with Brown playing in all 11 of their games during the campaign.
An injury crisis among the Chiefs loose forwards during the 2016 Super Rugby season saw Brown called up as an injury replacement. He made 2 substitute appearances and also started the Chiefs one off midweek match against Wales. He was subsequently named in the franchise's full squad for the 2017 season.
Super Rugby Statistics
- As of 17 December 2016
- "Mitchell Brown Taranaki Player Profile". TRFU. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Mitchell Brown itsrugby.co.uk Player Statistics". itsrugby.co.uk. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Chiefs 2017 Squad Guide" (PDF). All Blacks.com. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Mitchell Brown Chiefs Player Profile". Chiefs Rugby. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Brown happy to go into the dark places". Taranaki Daily News. 10 September 2015. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Mitchell Brown named in Chiefs team to play Wales". Taranaki Daily News. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Mitchell Brown All Blacks Player Profile". All Blacks.com. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "2011 NZ Schools". All Blacks.com. Retrieved 17 December 2016.