Mitchell H. Katz
Mitchell H. Katz
|Director of the Los Angeles County Health Agency|
|Assumed office |
November 24, 2015
|Director of the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2011
|Director of the San Francisco Department of Public Health|
|Preceded by||Sandra Hernandez|
|Succeeded by||Barbara A. Garcia|
|Born||1960 (age 59)|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Domestic partner||Igael Gurin-Malous|
|Children||Maxwell and Roxie|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Occupation||Physician and civil servant|
Mitchell H. Katz (born 1960, also known as Mitch Katz) is the CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals, the largest public health care system in the United States.
Early life and education
Katz received a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology at Yale University and received a medical degree at Harvard Medical School. In 1989, he completed his residency in internal medicine at University of California, San Francisco.
After his residency, Katz remained in San Francisco. In 1991, he joined the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH), serving as chief of research and director of the AIDS Office, director of the Emergency Medical Services Agency and director of the department’s health and safety branch.
From 1997 to 2010, Katz served as the Director of Health and Health Officer for the San Francisco Department of Public Health, where he implemented the Healthy San Francisco program, which is the United States' first municipal universal health care system.
During his tenure, Katz also served as a medicine, epidemiology and biostatistics professor at the University of California, San Francisco, while operating an outpatient practice at San Francisco General Hospital's Positive Healthcare Practice.
Notes and references
- Bajko, Matthew S. (21 October 2010). "Garcia expects smooth transition". Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Mayor Newsom Appoints Barbara Garcia As Director Of Public Health". Office of the Mayor. City and County of San Francisco. 13 October 2010. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- James, Scott (16 December 2010). "A Life Devoted to Health, Framed by His Siblings' Disabilities". New York Times. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Credo: Dr. Mitchell H. Katz". San Francisco Examiner. 14 March 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Mitchell H. Katz, MD". Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. 11 October 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "San Francisco health chief in running to head L.A. County's massive health department". Los Angeles Times. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Mitchell H. Katz, MD". UCLA School of Public Health. 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- Hennessy-Fiske, Molly (18 October 2010). "L.A. County's next healthcare chief will be entering a big new world". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Speaker Biography". World Congress. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "L.A. County taps Mitch Katz for health chief". San Francisco Gate. 21 September 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Dr. Mitchell Katz, LA County Department of Health Services and Margaret O'Kane, NCQA Named Co-Recipients of NCHL's 2012 Gail L. Warden Leadership Excellence Award". PRWeb. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Notices of Closed Session for November 24, 2015" (PDF). Statement Of Proceedings. Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. November 24, 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- Sewell, Abby (29 November 2015). "L.A. County supervisors choose Mitch Katz to head health agency". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- Katz, MH; Redberg, RF (6 November 2017). "Science Requires Open Discourse". JAMA Internal Medicine. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.5763. PMID 29114738.
- "Public health chief bids farewell". The Bay Area Reporter. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- "Alumni Profile: Steering the Wheels of Change". Frontiers of Medicine. UCSF Department of Medicine. Spring 2011. p. 9.