7 April 1989 |
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||182 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||91 kg (14 st 5 lb)|
|2008–15||New South Wales||13||1||0||0||4|
|2011||Prime Minister's XIII||1||0||0||0||0|
|2015||NRL All Stars||1||0||0||0||0|
|As of 21 December 2014|
Mitchell Pearce (born 7 April 1989) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Sydney Roosters of the National Rugby League. A New South Wales State of Origin representative half-back, he has played his entire career with the Roosters (winning the 2013 NRL Premiership). Pearce has also played for the City New South Wales team. His father is former Australian test player, Wayne Pearce.
Pearce made his National Rugby League debut for the Sydney Roosters on 24 March 2007 against the North Queensland Cowboys at Dairy Farmers Stadium. After three First Grade appearances for the Roosters, Pearce's contract was extended by the club to until the end of the 2010 season.
In his debut season, he scored 2 tries and registered 13 try assists. A back injury kept him out of the latter part of the season. In an early career highlight, Pearce ran 80 metres to score a last-minute try, snatching victory for the Sydney Roosters against the Penrith Panthers in a 24–20 win on 16 June 2007.
Pearce's performances in the early rounds of the 2008 season were such that he was considered in the running for the New South Wales halfback position for the 2008 Rugby League State of Origin series. Pearce's Origin chances were strengthened when he was named as starting half-back for the City Origin Team in the annual City vs Country Origin match. In his senior representative debut, Pearce played a solid game, helping City to a 22-all draw with Country.
On 2 July 2008, Pearce made his State Of Origin debut, replacing the injured Peter Wallace as halfback for the NSW Blues in the series decider. The Blues were defeated 16-10. Pearce later said, "In hindsight I wish I never played that early when I was 19 to 22. I definitely wasn't ready. As a halfback in Origin at 19, it was way too early. I probably developed some bad doubts from that period in those first few games. It's a daunting thing."
Pearce scored two tries in Round 1 and also in Round 2. He became the halfback for games II and III of State of Origin.
Pearce was selected at halfback for New South Wales in the 2012 State of Origin.
In the 2013 season, Pearce formed a new halves combination with former New Zealand Warriors five-eighth, James Maloney. The two were subsequently selected as the NSW Blues 6 and 7. After winning the first game in Sydney, they were beaten by the Queensland halves in Game 2 and 3, leading to an eighth straight series victory for the Maroons. Pearce was one of the members of the 2013 Premiership winning side.
Point Scoring Summary – Roosters(NRL)
- Mitchell Pearce rugbyleagueproject.org
- Mitchell Pearce – profile NRL. Retrieved 11 March 2008
- Roosters extend Pearce's contract Fox Sports News. Retrieved 11 March 2008
- Mitchell Pearce statistics NRL Stats. Retrieved 8 May 2008
- Pearce out for six weeks Sydney Roosters. Retrieved 8 May 2008
- Rookies get Roosters home SportsAustralia.com. Retrieved 8 May 2008
- Pearce born to be a leader Fox Sports News. Retrieved 8 May 2008
- Pearce firmly in Origin hunt Fox Sports News. Retrieved 8 May 2008
- Pearce gets his chance in City-Country clash Live News. Retrieved 8 May 2008
- Honours shared in City Country clash ABC News. Retrieved 8 May 2008
- Michael Chammas (13 June 2015). "State of Origin: Mitchell Pearce opens up about his demons and his regret NSW first selected him at 19". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 14 June 2015.