Mitra is an Indian family name and surname found mostly amongst Bengali Hindus. The surname may have been derived either from the word mitra meaning friend or ally or from the name of an important deity in the Vedas.
Mitras belong to Kayastha caste in Bengal. The Bengali Kayasthas evolved as a caste from a category of officials or scribes, between the 5th/6th century CE and 11th/12th century CE, its component elements being putative Kshatriyas and mostly Brahmins. Mitras are considered as Kulin Kayasthas, along with Bose, Ghosh and Guha.
- Amit Mitra (অমিত মিত্র), politician and current Finance Minister of West Bengal
- Antara Mitra (অন্তরা মিত্র), vocalist and Bollywood playback singer
- Arun Mitra (অরুণ মিত্র) (1909–2000), a Bengali poet
- Bimal Mitra (1912–1991), a Bengali author
- Braja Sundar Mitra (1227–1282 Bengali Era), social reformer, founder of Dhaka Brahmo Samaj
- Chandan Mitra, an Indian journalist, editor/managing director of The Pioneer newspaper
- Chittaranjan Mitra, Indian scientist and second director of BITS Pilani
- Debasis Mitra, mathematician
- Digambar Mitra (1817–1879) was one of the leading Derozians and first Bengali Sheriff of Kolkata
- Dinabandhu Mitra (দীনবন্ধু মিত্র) (1830–1873), a Bengali dramatist (given name: Gandharva Narayan)
- Hiran Mitra, Bengali actor
- Koena Mitra (born 1981), an Indian actress and former model
- Lopamudra Mitra, Kolkata-based modern Bengali singer-songwriter.
- Nabagopal Mitra (1840–1894), Indian playwright, poet, essayist, patriot
- Narendranath Mitra (নরেন্দ্রনাথ মিত্র) (1916–1975), was a renowned Bengali writer, poet.
- Panchanan Mitra (1892–1936), first professor of anthropology in India
- Premendra Mitra (প্রেমেন্দ্র মিত্র) (1904–1988), a renowned Bengali poet and author
- Rajendralal Mitra (1823/24-1891), the first modern Indologist of Indian origin
- Rhona Mitra (born 1976), an English actress of Indian descent
- Shyamal Mitra, Bengali singer
- Sisir Kumar Mitra (শিশির কুমার মিত্র) (also known as Shishirkumar Mitra) (1890–1963), an Indian physicist.
- Sombhu Mitra (1915–1997), an Indian film and stage actor, director, playwright
- Sreelekha Mitra (শ্রীলেখা মিত্র) (born 1975), an Indian actress of TV and films
- Subrata Mitra (সুব্রত মিত্র) (1930–2001), an Indian cinematographer
- Suchitra Mitra (1924-2011), an Indian singer-composer
- Amitabh Mitra, Poet / Artist, South Africa
- Subhrajit Mitra, ( born 1976 ), an Indian film maker
- Pradosh Chandra Mitra (Feluda), a fictional private investigator created by Satyajit Ray
- Tapesh Ranjan Mitra (Topse), cousin of Feluda, created by Satyajit Ray
- "Mitra". http://genealogy.familyeducation.com. Retrieved 5 March 2012. External link in
- Andre Wink (1991). Al-Hind, the Making of the Indo-Islamic World, Volume 1. Brill Academic Publishers. p. 269. ISBN 978-90-04-09509-0. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- Hopkins, Thomas J. (1989). "The Social and Religious Background for Transmission of Gaudiya Vaisnavism to the West". In Bromley, David G.; Shinn, Larry D. Krishna consciousness in the West. Bucknell University Press. pp. 35–36. ISBN 978-0-8387-5144-2. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
|surname Mitra. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|