|Founded||1673 Edo Honmachi (Nihonbashi Hongokuchō, Chūō, Tokyo), Japan|
|Headquarters||1-4-1 Nihonbashi-Muromachi, Chūō, Tokyo, Japan|
|Parent||Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd. (100%)|
Mitsukoshi, Ltd. (株式会社三越 Kabushiki-gaisha Mitsukoshi?) is an international department store chain with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. It is a subsidiary of Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings, which also owns the Isetan department store chain.
It was founded in 1673 with the yagō (shop name) Echigoya (越後屋), selling kimonos. Ten years later in 1683, Echigoya took a new approach to marketing. Instead of selling by going door-to-door, they set up a store where buyers could purchase goods on the spot with cash. Mitsukoshimae Station on the Tokyo Metro is named after the adjacent Mitsukoshi department store.
In August 2007, it was announced that Mitsukoshi would merge into Isetan, a major department store in Japan. Mitsukoshi TYO: 2779 was unlisted on March 26, 2008, and on April 1, it merged with Isetan under a joint holding company called Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd. (TYO: 3099).
Stores managed by Isetan Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Nihonbashi Main Branch (Chūō, Tokyo) 日本橋本店
- Ginza Mitsukoshi (Chūō, Tokyo) 銀座三越
- Ebisu Mitsukoshi (Shibuya, Tokyo) 恵比寿三越
- Tama Center Mitsukoshi (Tama, Tokyo) 多摩センター三越
- Chiba Mitsukoshi (Chūō-ku, Chiba) 千葉三越
Stores managed by other companies
- Sapporo Store (Chūō-ku, Sapporo) 札幌店 - Sapporo Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Sendai Store (Aoba-ku, Sendai) 仙台店 - Sendai Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Nagoya Sakae Main Branch (Naka-ku, Nagoya) 名古屋栄本店 - Nagoya Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Hoshigaoka Mitsukoshi (Chikusa-ku, Nagoya) 星ヶ丘三越 - Nagoya Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Niigata Mitsukoshi (Nishibori-dōri) 新潟三越 - Niigata Isetan Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- JR Osaka Isetan Mitsukoshi (Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka) JR大阪三越伊勢丹
- Hiroshima Mitsukoshi (Naka-ku, Hiroshima) 広島三越 - Hiroshima Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Takamatsu Mitsukoshi 高松三越 - Takamatsu Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Matsuyama Mitsukoshi 松山三越 - Matsuyama Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Fukuoka Mitsukoshi (Chūō-ku, Fukuoka) 福岡三越 - Iwataya Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Shinjuku Mitsukoshi Alcott (Shinjuku, Tokyo) 新宿三越アルコット
- Ikebukuro Mitsukoshi (Toshima, Tokyo) 池袋三越 - closed May 2009 
- Musashimurayama Mitsukoshi (Musashimurayama, Tokyo) 武蔵村山三越
- Kagoshima Mitsukoshi 鹿児島三越
The stores in Taiwan are named Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Department Store, a collaboration between the Shin Kong Group and Mitsukoshi. The first Shin Kong Mitsukoshi store opened at Nanjing Road in Taipei in 1991.
- Dayou Road Store (大有店)
- Taoyuan Station Store (站前店)
- Chunghwa Road Store (中華店)
- Zhonggang Road Store (中港店)
- Chuiyang Road Store (垂楊店)
- Zhongshan Road Store (中山店)
- Ximen Road Store (西門店)
- Sanduo Shopping District Store (三多店)
- Zuoying District Store (左營店)
The first Mitsukoshi in Hong Kong was opened at 500 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay on 26 August 1981, which spanned 4 levels with 12000 sq meters. In 1988, the second store was opened in the Sun Arcade in Tsim Sha Tsui but it was closed down in 1995. In June 2006, Mitsukoshi Ltd. announced the closure of its Causeway Bay store on 17 September 2006 as well, due to the redevelopment of Hennessy Centre. The store was scheduled to relocate to another location in 2009, but Hong Kong Mitsukoshi has yet to re-open as of the end of 2013.
In 1930, Mitsukoshi opened their department store (京城三越) in downtown Seoul. After the liberation of Korea and the defeat of Japan in 1945, Samsung took over this store and renamed it Shinsegae (신세계; Shinsegae; lit. New World).
- Rome (Via Nazionale)
Former stores in Europe
- London (Piccadily) - The London store opened in 1979 and closed in 2013. It was a popular shopping destination for Japanese visitors, and also incorporated a restaurant. It was located on Lower Regent Street, alongside the Japan Centre (which has now relocated) and a small cluster of Japanese restaurants. At the end of June 2013 a large red poster was displayed in the window of Mitsukoshi London department store which read '34年間ありがとうございます Closing Down Sale' which means 'Thank you for 34 Years'.
- The three German stores of Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Munich as well as the Milan shop closed in 2008 and 2009, the Paris shop closed in 2010 (and the Paris cultural center in 2011).
- Orlando, Florida, United States - at the Japan Pavilion, which Mitsukoshi hosts and operates, at the Epcot World Showcase at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista 
- http://www.mitsukoshi.co.jp/pc/corp/pdf/0070823.pdf 株式会社伊勢丹と株式会社三越との共同持株会社設立による 経営統合に関するお知らせ August 23, 2007 (in Japanese)
- http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/h.php?news=mitsukoshi-to-close-six-stores-2008-09-26 Mitsukoshi to close six stores
- http://www.mitsukoshi.co.jp/store/world.html (in Japanese, translation) lists only the London and Roma store remaining in Europe. It lists the Shanghai store.
- Mitsukoshi Cultural Representative Program http://www.tcw.jp/disney/en/index.html
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mitsukoshi.|