|Directed by||Greg Whiteley|
|Written by||Greg Whiteley|
|Produced by||Adam Leibowitz |
|Edited by||Adam Ridley |
|Music by||Perrin Cloutier|
Mitt is a 2014 American documentary film that chronicles the 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney. Mitt premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 17, 2014. The film was released on Netflix on January 24, 2014.
Director Greg Whiteley is an admirer of Mitt Romney's father George. He was further interested in filming Romney when he heard that Romney had attended a screening of his film New York Doll and was planning to run for president. Whiteley then approached Tagg Romney about making a documentary about his father's presidential bid. Mitt Romney was at first resistant to the idea of a documentary, but his wife Ann liked the idea. Although Whiteley had initially planned to only cover the 2008 election, he eventually ended up filming over a period of six years.
In 2006, Mitt Romney decides to run for president of the United States. During the 2008 Republican presidential primaries, he seeks to win debates against John McCain and the other Republican Party presidential candidates. After he loses the Republican nomination, he returns in 2012 to challenge incumbent Barack Obama for the White House. Meanwhile, his wife is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and he worries about disappointing his supporters and family if he loses.
Mitt received mainly positive reviews from critics. The film holds a 64/100 on Metacritic, and aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes reports 83% approval.
- ^ a b c Cohen, Sandy (January 18, 2014). "Romney attends Sundance premiere of 'MITT'". Boston Globe. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- ^ a b Miller, Zeke J. (January 5, 2014). "Inside Mitt: How the Director Got His Unprecedented Access to the Romney Family". Time. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- ^ "Mitt Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- ^ "Mitt". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Trailer for Mitt: A Netflix original documentary on YouTube, written/directed by Greg Whiteley
- Mitt at IMDb
- Mitt at the Sundance Film Festival
- 2014 films
- American documentary films
- American independent films
- Documentary films about American politicians
- Documentary films about elections in the United States
- Films set in the 2000s
- Films set in the 2010s
- Mitt Romney
- Netflix original documentary films
- 2008 United States presidential election in popular culture
- 2012 United States presidential election in popular culture
- 2010s English-language films
- 2010s American films