|• Urban||8 sq mi (21 km2)|
|Elevation||3,810 ft (1,160 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
|• Urban density||4,847/sq mi (1,871.4/km2)|
|Time zone||EAST (UTC+3)|
Mityana is approximately 77 kilometres (48 mi), by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The town is about half-way between Kampala and Mubende on an all-weather tarmac highway that links Uganda's capital with the town of Fort Portal in the Western Region. The coordinates of Mityana are 0°24'02.0"N, 32°02'32.0"E (Latitude:0.400556; Longitude:32.042222).
Mityana town covers an area of 21 square kilometres (8.1 sq mi). The topography consists of gentle slopes with open, U-shaped valleys. The plateau landscape is advantageous to real estate developers because they do not incur many expenses for clearance of building sites.
In 2002, the national census estimated the population of Mityana town to be 34,100. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 38,700. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 39,300. In August 2014, the national population census put the population at 48,002.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located near or within the town limits:
- offices of Mityana Town Council
- Mityana central market
- headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kiyinda–Mityana
- Mityana Hospital, a 120-bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- headquarters of Kolping Mityana Women's Project, a Tier IV financial institution
- Lake Wamala, with the northern shores located approximately 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) southwest of downtown Mityana
- Kampala−Mubende highway, passing through the center of town in a northwest/southeast direction
- Mityana Secondary School, a public residential secondary school with 26 dormitories
- William Mukasa Primary School, a mixed day and boarding primary school close to the district headquarters
- LivingHope-Children (Junior Academy), serving poor children in Buwalula, Kamuli, and Jjeza
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Distance between Kampala and Mityana with Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- Google (2 July 2015). "Location of Mityana at Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- NWSC (July 2014). "AREA SWITCH PROGRAM FOR MITYANA AREA FOR FY2014/15". National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC). Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "History of the Urban Water and Sewerage Sub-Sector". National Water and Sewerage Corporation (Uganda). Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- UBOS. "Estimated Population of Mityana In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Ibingira, C.B.R. (May 2003). "Chronic Osteomyelitis In A Ugandan Rural Setting". East African Medical Journal: ; Vol:80, No:5. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "About Kolping Mityana Women's Project". Kolping South Africa. Retrieved 16 April 2014.