Mixcraft is a multitrack recording application for Windows. The software functions as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), MIDI sequencer, virtual instrument host, non-linear video arranger, and as a music loop remix program.
Mixcraft 7 running on Windows 7
|Stable release||7.1 build 267|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Digital Audio Workstation|
The current version of Mixcraft is version 7.1. Version 7 introduced many new features over the previous version 6.1, including:
- Thousands of new loops, for a total of 7000 loops, sound effects and samples
- Full 64- and 32-bit compatibility
- Performance Panel for live performance mode
- Automation Recording with multiple lanes and other automation enhancements.
- Integrated Alpha and Omni Samplers.
- Control Surface Support (Launchpad & Mackie protocols)
- Audio warping, auto-warping and audio quantization
- Step editor for rapid pattern based rhythmic and musical phrase construction
- New virtual instruments and effects
Mixcraft 7 includes 15 virtual instruments and 25 audio effects. Virtual instruments include a large extended General MIDI sampled instrument library, an additional sample library featuring synthesizer pads, two polyphonic synthesizer vintage synthesizer modelers, one of which models the classic Prophet 5 synthesizer, a virtual instrument that models the famous Minimoog analog synthesizer, a modeled Hammond B3 emulator, Lounge Lizard electric piano emulator, a TB303 synth bass emulator, and two combo organ emulators. Audio effects include two guitar amplifier simulators, a vintage tube EQ emulator, a spectrum analyzer, and over a dozen traditional studio effects. There are currently over 6300 audio loops and sound effects included with the package, and more loops are added periodically. The audio loops are created by professional producers including Jason Donnelly aka DJ Puzzle).
There are currently 2 additional versions of Mixcraft available:
- Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 extends the functionality of Mixcraft 7 by adding 32 additional virtual instruments and audio effects. The audio effects are aimed largely at mastering, and include the iZotope Mastering Essentials suite, as well as vintage style compressors, a 31-band equalizer, and additional effects that enhance the quality of the bass and treble frequencies in a mix. Additional virtual instruments include Pianissimo, a realistic Grand Piano plugin modelled after the Steinway Model D grand piano, as well as emulations of the classic Yamaha CS80 and Memorymoog synthesizers.
- Mixcraft Home Studio 7, an entry-level version of Mixcraft 7 that is limited to 16 tracks of audio and MIDI. This package contains over 2000 loops and fewer effects and virtual instruments. This version is primarily sold at consumer electronics stores, such as Best Buy
Major features of Mixcraft include:
- MIDI Recording and Sequencing. This feature allows you to record MIDI data played on one or more MIDI controller keyboard. Users can also enter and edit notes manually using a piano roll interface and use their typing keyboard to play virtual instruments.
- VSTi Virtual Instrument support. This feature allows software-based musical instruments to be played, sequenced, and recorded inside of Mixcraft. Virtual instruments generate all instrument sounds entirely within the software.
- Multitrack Recording. This feature allows users to create recordings from multiple sound card inputs simultaneously. With a MIDI keyboard connected, one can record both through microphone and the keyboard at the same time.
- Sony ACID Pro and Apple Computer GarageBand loop support. This feature allows audio loops from popular libraries to be imported and used within Mixcraft. Mixcraft will time stretch and pitch shift the loops to match the current project tempo and key. Throughout the project, the tempo and key can be changed.
- Automatic Remixing. This feature will attempt to detect the tempo and key of a prerecorded song, and change the tempo to match the project tempo. In this way, songs of varying tempos can be mixed and matched, and layered with new drum beat loops, to create a custom remix.
- Time stretching and Pitch shifting. Mixcraft uses an advanced algorithm to provide high quality time stretching and pitch shifting while minimizing CPU usage.
- VST effects. Unlimited effects (e.g. reverb, delay, EQ) can be added to each track, and unlimited global effects can be added to the project. Mixcraft includes Plug-In Delay Compensation technology.
- Support for multiple mixdown formats, including MP3, WAV, WMA, and Ogg Vorbis file formats. Mixcraft will import audio in any of these formats, and will also import AIFF files as well.
- Video Sequencing, editing video files, adding music, sound effects, and voice-overs.
- A large library of virtual instruments, loops, sound effects, and audio effects is included with Mixcraft. Sounds and loops within the library are downloaded directly within the application, minimizing the size of the initial installer.
- Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 was awarded 9/10 on MusicTech
- Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 received the Computer Music PERFORMANCE award in 2015
- Mixcraft 7 was awarded the School Band and Orchestra award for Best Teaching Tool For Advanced Students - part of the Best Tools For Schools Award 2015.
- Mixcraft 6 was awarded Electronic Musician Magazine's top honor, their Editor's Choice Award, for 2013 in the January 2013 issue.
- Mixcraft 6 was awarded Keyboard Magazine's top honor, their Key Buy award, by Craig Anderton in their December 2012 issue.
- Mixcraft 6 was awarded MusicTech Magazine's Value Award, along with a product review score of 8 out of 10, in their October 2012 issue.
- Mixcraft 6 was awarded PC Pro Magazine's PC Pro Recommended Award, along with an Overall Rating of 5 out of 6, in their September 2012 issue.
- Mixcraft 5 was given Keyboard Magazine's top honor, their Key Buy award, by Craig Anderton in their May 2010 issue.
- Mixcraft 5 was given Computer Music Magazine's top honor, their Editor's Choice Award, along with a product review score of 9 out of 10, in the May 2010 issue.
- Mixcraft 5 was given Computer Music Magazine's Value Award in their May 2010 issue.
- Mixcraft 5 was given MusicTech Magazine's Value Award, along with a product review score of 8 out of 10, in their May 2010 issue.
- Mixcraft 4 was given Keyboard Magazine's top honor, their Key Buy award, by Craig Anderton in their May 2008 issue.
- Mixcraft 4 was given Computer Music Magazine's Value Award, along with a product review score of 8 out of 10, in their May 2008 issue.
Version 7.1 - released 04/09/14 - includes many enhancements, optimizations and fixes a number of issues.
Version 7 - released 11/27/14 - new performance panel live mode, additional plugins, step editor, automation recording
Version 6 - released 05/05/12
Version Pro Studio 5, 3 New Virtual Instruments and 4 additional mixing and mastering effects.
Version 5 added many new features over the previous version 4.5, including video scoring and editing, effects automation, a mixer interface, a virtual typing keyboard, several new instruments and effects, and hundreds of new loops. The final version in the 5.0 series was 5.2 build 152.
Version 3 contained many improvements over the previous version 2.51, including a new graphic user interface (GUI), multitrack recording, and support for music loops from Sony ACID Pro and Apple GarageBand.
- Ableton Live
- ACID Pro
- Cakewalk SONAR
- Digital Performer
- FL Studio
- Logic Pro
- Pro Tools
- Steinberg Cubase
- Steinberg Nuendo
- Acoustica web site.
- Mixcraft download web page.
- Mixcraft magazine reviews including PDF files.
- Mixcraft Tips and Tricks (Videos).
- Mixcraft 6.
- Mixcraft the Garageband for windows.
- Keyboard Magazine's Stephen Fortner January 2008 NAMM video interview about Mixcraft 4 - Part 1.
- Keyboard Magazine's Stephen Fortner January 2008 NAMM video interview about Mixcraft 4 - Part 2.
- Gearwire.com January 2008 NAMM video interview about Mixcraft 4.
- Sound on Sound Magazine's November 2007 review of Mixcraft 3.
- Jack Ludington's MediaBlab review of Mixcraft 3.
- ITP Technology review of Mixcraft 3.0 (4/5 stars).
- TechNewsWorld review of Mixcraft 3.0.
- Mixcraft 5 review.
- Podcast User Magazine review of Mixcraft 2.5.