September 16, 1932|
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka
University of New Brunswick
Mizan Rahman (born September 16, 1932) is a Bangladeshi Canadian mathematician and writer specializing in fields of mathematics, such as hypergeometric series and orthogonal polynomials. He also had interests encompassing literature, philosophy, scientific skepticism, freethinking and rationalism. He co-authored "Basic Hypergeometric Series", considered[according to whom?] the bible of that subject of study, with George Gasper and he published ten Bengali books.
Education and career
Rahman was born and grew up in Bangladesh. He studied at the University of Dhaka, where he obtained his B.Sc degree in Mathematics and Physics in 1953, and his M.Sc in Applied Mathematics in 1954. He received a B.A in Mathematics from Cambridge University in 1958, and an M.A. in mathematics from the same university in 1963. He was a senior lecturer at the University of Dhaka from 1958 until 1962. Rahman went to the University of New Brunswick of Canada in 1962 and received his Ph.D in 1965 with a thesis on the kinetic theory of plasma using singular integral equation techniques. After his Ph.D, he became an assistant professor at Carleton University, where he spent the rest of his career, latterly as a Distinguished Professor Emeritus.
Writing and other activities
Apart from his teaching and academic activities, Rahman wrote on various issues, particularly on those related to Bangladesh. He contributed to Internet blogs and various internet e-magazines, mainly in the Bengali language, covering his interests. He was a prolific writer  and a regular contributor to Porshi, a Bengali monthly publication based in Silicon Valley, California.
Honors and awards
- Best Teaching Award (1986)
- Life-time membership in the Bharat Ganita Parishad (Indian Mathematical Society)
- Fellow of the Bangladesh Academy of Science in Carleton University (2005)
- Award of Excellence from Bangladesh Publications (Ottawa) (1996)
- Basic Hypergeometric Series (Coauthor)
- Special Functions, q-Series and Related Topics (Coeditor)
- তীর্থ আমার গ্রাম (Tirtha is my village) (1994)
- লাল নদী (The Red River) (2001)
- অ্যালবাম (Album) (2002)
- প্রসঙ্গ নারী (Context - Women) (2002)
- অনন্যা আমার দেশ (Ananya is my country) (2004)
- আনন্দ নিকেতন (Ananda Niketan) (2006)
- দুর্যোগের পূর্বাভাস (Premonition) (2007)
- শুধু মাটি নয় (Not just soil) (2009)
- ভাবনার আত্মকথন (Autobiography of thought) (2010)
- শূন্য (Zero) (2012)
- George Gasper and Mizan Rahman, Basic Hypergeometric Series, 2nd Edition, (2004), Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications, 96, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ISBN 0-521-83357-4.
- Mizan Rahman, His Mathematics And Literary Writings, by R Askey
- Mizan Rahman's Article Page in Mukto-Mona
- Dr. Mizan Rahman Speaks to VOA About His Writings
- Porshi Press release 2009
- The list of Mukto-Mona Advisory Board & Editorial Board
- School of Mathematics And Statistics, 2000 Annual Report
- Special Functions, q-Series and Related Topics, Fields Institute Communications, volume 14, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 1997.