Mizoram Institute of Medical Education & Research
|Established||7 August 2018|
|Director||Professor Lallukhum Fimate|
Falkawn, Aizawl, India
|Affiliations||Mizoram University, Medical Council of India|
Mizoram Institute of Medical Education & Research is the first medical college in Mizoram, India. It was inaugurated on 7 August 2018 by the Chief Minister of Mizoram Lalthanhawla at Falkawn, about 16 km from Aizawl,Mizoram. MIMER is expected to meet the growing demand of Doctors in Mizoram.
Construction work on the State Referral Hospital started in 1999 with funds from the Planning Commission, following approval of Rs. 40 crore for the proposal in 1996. The State Referral Hospital was initially planned for a 300 Bedded Hospital but had to start as a 50 bedded hospital in the Administrative Building from 21 July 2005 because the then Mizo National Front government deviated from original plan in executing construction. Subsequently, it was enlarged to 150 beds on 10 Dec 2012. MIMER was established by the Government of Mizoram under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme 'Establishment of new Medical Colleges attached with existing district/referral hospitals' with a project cost of Rs. 189 lakhs and funding pattern 90:10. Permission to start MBBS courses was given on 25 May 2018 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India on the recommendation of the Medical Council of India. It was inaugurated on the 7th August, 2018 by Lalthanhawla, the Chief Minister of Mizoram.
Students are admitted through National Eligibility and Entrance Test. Total number of students admitted per year is 100, with 15% of seats reserved for All India Quota, 15% seats for NRI Quota and 70% of seats reserved for the State Quota.
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- TB & Respiratory Diseases
- Dermatology & Venereology
- Lalrinpuii, Emily. "MIZORAMA MBBS ZIRNA IN HMASA BER CHIEF MINISTER IN A HAWNG". Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Hmar, Sangzuala. "Mizoram's first medical college inaugurated". NE Now. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Saprinsanga, Adam. "No Medical College, Insufficient Recruitment, And Unfavourable Service Conditions: Why Mizoram Is Suffering From A Shortage Of Doctors". Caravan. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Nod for medical college in Aizawl". The Telegraph India. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "List of identified States/districts under the scheme for Establishment of new Medical Colleges attached with existing district/referral hospitals". PIB Government of India. Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- "1st medical college for Mizoram". Telegraph India. Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- Henry, Khojol. "Medical college to open with 3 courses". Telegraph. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Affiliation". MIMER. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Departments". MIMER. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- IANS. "Mizoram's first medical college to open in August". Timesofindia.com. TOI. Retrieved 23 July 2018.