Mkrtich (Armenian: Մկրտիչ) is an Armenian male given name, meaning Baptist in Armenian. The name, refers originally to John the Baptist, known as Surb Hovhannes Mkrtich (Saint-John the Baptist) in Armenian. The widespread family name Mkrtchyan is formed from this given name.
The name is usually romanized directly into English as Mkrtich, but other romanizations are found:
- Mkrtich Khrimian (1820–1907), Catholicos of All Armenians
- Mkrtich Achemian (1838–1917), Constantinople-born Armenian poet.
- Mekertich Portukalian (1848–1921) Armenian teacher
The name is romanized in Turkish as Mıgırdiç:
- Mıgırdiç Margosyan (1938) Turkish-language Armenian author.
- Mıgırdiç Civanyan (1848–1906) Ottoman painter of Armenian descent.
- Maghakʻia Ōrmanean The Church of Armenia: her history, doctrine, rule, discipline, 1988 "LIST OF ARMENIAN NAMES WITH THEIR EQUIVALENTS IN ENGLISH Where transformations are obvious, the names are not included. ... Mkrtich = Baptist.. "
- Sushil Chaudhury, Kéram Kévonian Les Arméniens dans le commerce asiatique au début de l'ère 2008 Page 84 "The church carrying the name of Surb Hovhannes Mkrtich (Saint-John the Baptist)... "
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|