Mo' Wax was a UK-based record label owned by James Lavelle, who founded it in 1992 with Tim Goldsworthy. Steve Finan became co-owner shortly after. The label came to recognition for being at the forefront of trip hop, turntablism and alternative hip hop during the mid-1990s. The label is also responsible for bringing attention to the graffiti artist Futura 2000 by using his artwork on many of its releases in the early to mid-1990s. Lavelle ended up signing partial ownership of Mo' Wax over to A&M Records (now part of the Universal Music Group) in 1996. Currently, some of the Mo' Wax catalogue is part of the Beggars Group, but there are rumors that the label itself has folded and is no longer putting out new releases.
The name 'Mo' Wax' is a shortened form of 'Mo' Wax Please', which was the title of a column James Lavelle wrote in the magazine Straight No Chaser and the club night he ran (Saturdays at the Fridge in Brixton and with Patrick Forge at the Gardening Club). This in turn was influenced by the Freddie Roach LP, Mo' Greens Please on Blue Note records.
The original Mo' Wax logo as used on the early releases was designed by UK graphic designer Ian Swift "Swifty", but the label grew their reputation by featuring artwork contributions from Futura, Robert Del Naja (from Massive Attack), She One and Req 1. Ben Drury was the main designer responsible for the art direction and design of the label.
In 2005, Lavelle started a clothing line called Surrender, and launched Mo' Wax Arts.
Mo' Wax Arts is a company managed by Henry Lavelle (James' brother), who translated Futura's talent into merchandise, toys and fashion in conjunction with the Surrender label. Henry Lavelle presented Futura's works under Mo' Wax Arts in an international design conference.
In March 2013 it was announced (on Facebook and Twitter) that there will be an official art exhibition for the label's 21st birthday (roughly scheduled for some time in 2014, making it a year late). This will be funded by a Kickstarter campaign.
- MW 001 V.A. – Jazz Hip Jap Project
- MW 002 Federation – Flower To The Sun
- MW 003 V.A. – Royaltie$ Overdue
- MW 025 DJ Krush – Strictly Turntablized
- MW 026 V.A. -Headz
- MW 034 Money Mark – Mark's Keyboard Repair
- MW 039 DJ Krush – Meiso
- MW 046 Dr Octagon – Dr. Octagonecologyst
- MW 059 DJ Shadow – Endtroducing.....
- MW 061 V.A. – Headz 2A
- MW 062 V.A. – Headz 2B
- MW 064 Dr Octagon – Instrumentalyst (Octagon Beats)
- MW 072 Luke Vibert – Big Soup
- MW 073 Sukia – Contacto Espacial Con El Tercer Sexo
- MW 077 DJ Krush – MiLight
- MW 078 Liquid Liquid – Liquid Liquid
- MW 080 Attica Blues – Attica Blues
- MW 082 V.A. – The Original Artform
- MW 085 UNKLE – Psyence Fiction
- MW 088 DJ Krush – Holonic-The Self Megamix
- MW 090 Money Mark – Push The Button
- MW 099 Andrea Parker – Kiss My Arp
- MW 101 V.A. – Time Machine (mixed by Psychonauts)
- MW 102 Urban Tribe – The Collapse Of Modern Culture
- MW 104 Tommy Guerrero – A Little Bit Of Somethin'
- MW 105 Major Force West – 93–97
- MW 110 V.A. – Quannum Spectrum
- MW 112 Blackalicious – Nia
- MW 115 DJ Assault – Belle Isle Tech
- MW 121 DJ Magic Mike – The Journey (Era Of Bass Part 1)
- MW 122 Divine Styler – Wordpower, Vol. 2: Directrix
- MW 129 Nigo – Ape Sounds
- MW 132 South – From Here On In
- MW 141 David Axelrod – David Axelrod
- MW 143 Malcom Catto – Popcorn Bubble Fish
- MW 145 V.A. – Now Thing
- MW 152 Malcom Catto – Bubblefish Breaks
- MW 155 Jordan Fields- Moments In Dub
- MW 158 Tommy Guerrero – Soul Food Taqueria
- MW 159 Parsley Sound – Parsley Sounds
- MWU 001 UNKLE – Never, Never, Land
- MW 001 Repercussions – Promise
- MW 01 Blackalicious – Melodica
- For accurate discography visit mowaxdiscography.com