Mo Dao Zu Shi
|Mo Dao Zu Shi|
Promotional animation poster.
|Mandarin||Mó Dào Zǔ Shī|
|Literally||Demonic Path Ancestral Master|
|Created by||Mo Xiang Tong Xiu|
|Based on||Mo Dao Zu Shi|
by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu
|Written by||Liang Sha|
|Directed by||Xiong Ke|
|Opening theme||"Zui Meng Qian Chen" (醉梦前尘) performed by Lin Zhixuan|
|Ending theme||"Wen Qin" (问琴) performed by Rachel Yin (eps 1-8, 14-15)|
"Bu Xian" (不羡) by S.I.N.G (SING女团) (eps 9-13)
|Country of origin||China|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||15|
G.CMay Animation & Film
|Running time||24 minutes per episode|
|Original network||Tencent Video|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||July 9 –|
October 6, 2018
|Related shows||Mo Dao Zu Shi (novel)|
Mo Dao Zu Shi (manhua)
Mo Dao Zu Shi (Chinese: 魔道祖师; pinyin: Mó Dào Zǔ Shī; literally: 'Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation') is a donghua series aired in 2018, based on the BL novel of the same name written by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu. The series depicted a fictional XianXia world where humans attempt to cultivate to a state of immortality, known as Xian (Chinese: 仙). The protagonist of the series, Wei Wuxian, due to certain circumstances, deviated from the conventional cultivation path to Xian, and eventually created Mo Dao (the Demonic Path, which is why this series is often unofficially translated by fan communities as Grandmaster of Demonic Path/Cultivation, or The Founder of Diabolism.
As the grandmaster who founded the Demonic Sect, Wei Wuxian roamed the world in his wanton ways, hated by millions for the chaos he created. In the end, he was backstabbed by his dearest Shidi (meaning "junior fellow brother") and killed by powerful clans that combined to overpower him. He incarnates into the body of a lunatic who was abandoned by his clan and is later, unwillingly, taken away by a famous cultivator among the clans—Lan Wangji, his former classmate.
The time changes to 13 years in the past. Wei Wuxian is introduced as an innocent, talented Young master. This marks the start of a thrilling yet hilarious journey of attacking monsters, solving mysteries, and raising children. From the mutual flirtation along the way, Wei Wuxian slowly realizes that Lan Wangji, a seemingly haughty and indifferent poker-face, holds more feelings for Wei Wuxian than he is letting on.
But they will soon face tragedy and war. They will be forced to make choices with disastrous consequences, and Wei Wuxian starts experimenting with the forbidden, dangerous Demonic cultivation path.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||15||July 9, 2018||October 6, 2018|
- Voiced by: Zhang Jie (donghua), Lu Zhixing (audio drama)
- Wei Wuxian is the protagonist of the series, born as the only son of Cangse Sanren and Wei Changze. He is a bright, optimistic, mischievous but good-hearted cultivator, whose intelligence and strength lie more in his ability to invent new spiritual techniques and inventions not defined by conventional cultivation methods. He was a former disciple of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect and later created the Demonic Path, thus earning him the title of Yiling Patriarch (Chinese: 夷陵老祖; pinyin: Yílíng Lǎozǔ). He died in the First Siege of the Burial Mounds thirteen years prior to the start of the story. He was then incarnated into the body of Mo Xuanyu through a sacrificial ritual. He travels throughout China with Lan Wangji to solve a curious case of a powerful walking corpse and along the way manages to clear his name. He also begins to fall in love with Lan Wangji and later becomes cultivation partners with him.
- Voiced by: Bian Jiang (donghua), Wei Chao (audio drama)
- Lan Wangji is the second young master of the Lan Sect. Titled as Hanguang-Jun (Chinese: 含光君; pinyin: Hánguāng-jūn; literally: 'Light-Bearing Lord'), he is one of the Two Jades of Lan alongside his older brother, Lan Xichen. He is known for his cold, aloof and strict nature. In his youth, he became friends with and fell in love with Wei Wuxian. When Wei Wuxian became the Yiling Patriarch, he often tried to persuade him to stop following the dark arts and attempted to protect him from being murdered by the other cultivation sects, but to no avail. After thirteen years of mourning, he recognised Wei Wuxian in the body of Mo Xuanyu and helped to clear Wei Wuxian's name. He later becomes cultivation partners with Wei Wuxian.
Gusu Lan Sect
The Gusu Lan Sect (Chinese: 姑苏蓝氏; pinyin: Gūsū Lán Shì) is a cultivational sect based in the Cloud Recesses, a residence on a remote mountain outside the city of Gusu. The current leader is Lan Xichen.
- Voiced by: Jin Xian (donghua), Wang Kai (audio drama)
- Lan Xichen is the first young master of the Lan Sect. Titled as Zewu-Jun (Chinese: 泽芜君; pinyin: Zéwú-jūn), he is one of the Two Jades of Lan alongside his younger brother, Lan Wangji. He has a warm and gentle personality in contrast to Lan Wangji. He is trustful and loyal to others and his kindness is not limited to those of his status. This is especially shown through his relationship with his sworn brother Jin Guangyao, as he was the only person who did not look down on Jin Guangyao despite his status as the son of a prostitute. However, Lan Xichen does possess a temper and is deeply protective of those he cares for, especially his younger brother. His anger is best seen towards Wei Wuxian, whom he developed a grudge against because Lan Wangji had defended Wei Wuxian and betrayed the Lan sect to protect him. He even refers bitterly to Wei Wuxian as "the only mistake Lan Wangji made in his life".
- Voiced by: Liu Cong (donghua), Song Ming (audio drama)
- Lan Qiren is an elder of the Lan Sect known for producing outstanding students, even out of the most hopeless ones. He is the uncle of Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji. Having watched his brother Qingheng-jun drive himself into self-destruction over love, he took guardianship of his nephews, teaching them strictly in an effort to prevent them from following their father's footsteps, although Lan Wanji eventually eloped with Wei Wuxian. He is hence infamously known to be a pedantic, stubborn, and strict teacher.
- Voiced by: Chenzhang Taikang (donghua), Qian Wenqing (audio drama)
- Lan Sizhui is a disciple of the Lan Sect. He was originally born to the Wen Sect with the name Wen Yuan (Chinese: 温苑; pinyin: Wēn Yuàn). He was found by Wei Wuxian among the remains of the Wen Sect who were forced to work in a valley in Yiling. Wei Wuxian then started raising him. After the First Siege of the Burial Mounds, when he was only three years old, he lost both Wei Wuxian and his home. He was later found by Lan Wangji who came searching for Wei Wuxian's remains. But he fell into a high fever and lost all memories of his past. He was then re-named as Lan Yuan, and presumably given the courtesy name Sizhui in the same year that Wei Wuxian returned to the living world. Thirteen years after the First Siege, he is finally reunited with Wei Wuxian and Wen Ning, although he only remembered his past memories much later. In the present setting, he is close friends with Lan Jingyi and Jin Ling.
- Voiced by: Wang Chenguang (donghua), Xiahou Luofeng (audio drama)
- Lan Jingyi is a disciple of the Lan Sect. He is short-tempered and dislikes people who don't follow rules and are noisy, even though he is ironically noisy himself when angered. However, despite his prideful nature, he is caring. He will stand up for his friends, even for Wei Wuxian whom he had initially disliked because of his reckless personality. He is close friends with Lan Sizhui and Jin Ling.
Lanling Jin Sect
- Voiced by: Yang Tianxiang (donghua), Jiang Guangtao (audio drama)
- Titled Liangfang-zun (Chinese: 敛芳尊; pinyin: Liǎnfāng-zūn; literally: 'Hidden Fragrance Lord'), Jin Guangyao was the leader of the Jin Sect after the death of Jin Guangshan. He was the illegitimate son of Jin Guangshan and uncle to Jin Ling. Due to the power of the Jin Sect before and during his reign, he also became the first Chief Cultivator (Chinese: 仙督). He sought greater amounts of power due to the fact he had often been looked down upon due to his status as the son of a prostitute. However, this is with the exception of his sworn brother Lan Xichen, whose kindness was the reason he held Lan Xichen to the highest esteem. He had accomplished many achievements in his life, such as building lookout towers and helping to rebuild the Cloud Recesses' libraries. However, his desire for power had led him to team up with shady characters like Xue Yang to harness the power of the Stygian Tiger Seal, which was once deemed too powerful and broken in half to prevent any more damage. He also murdered anyone who got in his way, including his father, brother, wife, son, master, and friend. His murdering of his other sworn brother Nie Mingjue led Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji around China to solve the mystery of a particular fierce corpse, which turned out to be Nie Mingjue. In the end, when his deeds were revealed, everyone quickly turned against him and Nie Huaisang tricked Lan Xichen into murdering him.
- Voiced by: Li Longbin (donghua), Xiao Tan (audio drama)
- Jin Guangshan was the former leader of the Jin Sect who had many illegitimate children, among them are Jin Guangyao and Mo Xuanyu. Jin Zixuan was his only legitimate son.
- Voiced by: Su Shangqing (donghua), Li Lanling (audio drama)
- Jin Ling is a disciple of the Jin Sect. He is the son of Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan, and the nephew of both Jin Guangyao and Jiang Cheng. He is currently taken care of by Jiang Cheng. He is the only living, legitimate child of the Jin Sect, therefore he will inherit the sect leader position after Jin Guangyao. He owns a spiritual dog which he had named as Fairy, it was given to him by Jin Guangyao. He is prideful and short-tempered, which caused him difficulty getting along with his peers and he doesn't have many friends his age. Although he became who he is due to his life circumstances, he is still kind at heart and strives to become a better person. He is close friends with Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi.
- Voiced by: Gu Jiangshan (donghua), Liu Mingyue (audio drama)
- Jin Zixuan was Jiang Yanli's husband and the father of Jin Ling. He was Jin Guangshan's only legitimate child. He was arrogant as once he had no issue insulting Jiang Yanli while her brothers were in range to hear. However, he was also willing to stand up to Wen Chao when the latter ordered them to seize Mianmian to be sacrificed in order to lure a monster, protecting her alongside Lan Wangji even though he knew his actions would bear consequences.
- Voiced by: Ye Zhiqiu (audio drama)
- Qin Su was the wife of Jin Guangyao. She was the daughter of Qin Cangye, the leader of the Laoling Qin Sect, a subsidiary of the Jin Sect. After Jin Guangyao saved her life during the Sunshot Campaign, she fell in love with him and did not give up until they were married. She then became Jin Guangyao's official wife and the mistress of Carp Tower. It is revealed that she was actually one of Jin Guangshan's illegitimate children. Jin Guangshan once raped her mother while he was drunk. But because Qin Cangye was an advent supporter of Jin Guangshan, her mother could not tell him. When her mother told Jin Guangyao the truth that he and Qin Su were siblings, he still married Qin Su to gain the support of her stepfather. Qin Su then became pregnant, and when their son was around three, Jin Guangyao murdered him as one of his plans to rise up to the Chief Cultivator title. After learning of this secret, she committed suicide in front of a crowd of people the night of the Discussion Conference hosted at Carp Tower.
- Voiced by: Zhang Jie (donghua), Tong Yin (audio drama)
- Mo Xuanyu was one of Jin Guangshan's illegitimate sons and a former disciple of the Jin Sect. He sacrificed his soul to summon Wei Wuxian to exact revenge on the Mo family on his behalf. In his living days and even during Wei Wuxian's possession of his body, he was described as a lunatic. In his past, he was tortured with meeting the expectations of his servant mother to gain recognition of his father. He was then sent to Jin Sect to learn cultivation, but was cast out after harassing Jin Guangyao, as he is a cut-sleeve (homosexual). He returned to Mo Village and his mother died soon after, leaving him in the care of his abusive aunt and her son, Mo Ziyuan. Both were resentful of his wasted opportunity at becoming a cultivator of a prolific sect, and hence physically beaten and verbally abused him to the point of insanity.
Qinghe Nie Sect
- Voiced by: Yin Xia Lao Gui (donghua), Feng Sheng (audio drama)
- Titled Chifeng-zun (Chinese: 赤锋尊; pinyin: Chìfēng-zūn), Nie Mingjue was the former leader of the Nie Sect and the older half-brother and predecessor of Nie Huaisang. Nie Mingjue's personality was defined by strictness, a bad temper and an intolerance for anything deviating from the moral good. While this attitude won him acclaim and reputation, the shift in power towards the Jin Sect after the Sunshot Campaign also marked him as a great opposition to their power. Furthermore, as the trademark cultivation of his sect affected his temper, his intolerance grew and he could not accept that two of his subordinates were killed by Jin Guangyao when they were captured with him and brought before Wen Ruohan in Nightless City. This was despite Jin Guangyao pointing out that Nie Mingjue himself would have died if they did not, since all three had offended Wen Ruohan.
- Voiced by: Liu Sanmu (donghua), Qi Sijia (audio drama)
- Nie Huaisang is the current leader of the Nie Sect and the younger half-brother of Nie Mingjue. He is well known for his incompetence, thus being called Head-Shaker (Chinese: 一问三不知) amongst both the common people and cultivators alike. He was pegged by Wei Wuxian to be the mastermind behind the events around his summoning and the chain of events which subsequently led to the death of Jin Guangyao at the hands of Lan Xichen.
Qishan Wen Sect
- Voiced by: Yan Ming (donghua), Chen Siyu (audio drama)
- Wen Ruohan was the previous sect leader of the Wen Sect, and father to Wen Xu and Wen Chao. He was a known megalomaniac with an unpredictable temper.
- Wen Xu was the eldest son of Wen Ruohan. He accused the Lan Sect of some wrongdoing and forced them to burn down the Cloud Recesses under the guise of cleansing the place so that it could be "reborn from the firelight". Eventually, he was decapitated by Nie Mingjue, with his head hung up as a demonstration to the Wen Sect's cultivators, and his body cut into pieces and ground up by the cultivators of the Nie Sect.
- Voiced by: Liang Xiaoqiang (donghua), Hao Xianghai (audio drama)
- Wen Chao was the youngest son of Wen Ruohan and leader of the Wen Sect. He enjoyed looking at ladies even though he had a wife, to the point of harassing them. One instance was with Mianmian, which ended with Wei Wuxian saving her by diverting his attention to fake erotic arts. Because of his and Wen Ruohan's malicious intent, they caused great destruction to the Lan Sect and Jiang Sect by destroying their residences and killing the entire Jiang Sect, except the three children who went into hiding. He was also responsible for throwing Wei Wuxian into the Burial Mounds, which resulted in his own death when Wei Wuxian returned to end his clan with his newfound demonic abilities.
- Voiced by: Qiao Shiyu (donghua), Shan Xin (audio drama)
- Wen Qing was a member of the Wen sect and Wen Ning's older sister. As part of the branch families, she also shared descent from the Wen Sect founder Wen Mao, though not to the point of the Wen main clan. She was the greatest physician in the history of the Wen Sect and had a fairly high level of cultivation abilities. When Jiang Cheng lost his Golden Core due to the Wen Sect, she helped to transfer Wei Wuxian's core to him, by Wei Wuxian's request.
- Voiced by: Shao Tong (donghua), Teng Xin (audio drama)
- Wen Ning was a member of the Wen sect and Wen Qing's younger brother. As part of the branch families, he also shared descent from the Wen Sect founder Wen Mao, though not to the point of the Wen main clan. When he was alive, he was a stutterer and often shy around people. After Wei Wuxian praised his archery skills and defended him against Wen Chao, he started trusting Wei Wuxian and continues helping him even when he became a fierce corpse. Known as the Ghost General (Chinese: 鬼将军; pinyin: Guǐ jiāngjūn), he is the first fierce corpse to retain his consciousness, and serves as Wei Wuxian's right-hand man during and after his Yiling Patriarch days.
- Voiced by: Hu Yajie (donghua), Tu Xiaoya (audio drama)
- Wen Zhuliu was a servant of the Wen Sect and acted as one of Wen Chao's protectors. He was more commonly known as Core-Melting Hand (Chinese: 化丹手; pinyin: Huādān shǒu) due to his ability to melt a Golden Core, which stores and controls a cultivator's spiritual energy. He was responsible for melting away Jiang Cheng's Golden Core when he was captured by the Wen Sect during his and Wei Wuxian's hiding. Along with Wen Chao, he died in Wei Wuxian's hands.
- Voiced by: Qiu Qiu (donghua), Yan Mengmeng (audio drama)
- Wang Lingjiao was a former maid of Wen Chao's principal wife and later his lover. Despite only achieving her status by engaging in sexual activities with Wen Chao, she was arrogant and pompous. She also guarded her status as Wen Chao's favorite, and did her best to eliminate any competition, like volunteering Mianmian as a sacrifice when she witnessed Wen Chao flirting with her. She died in Wei Wuxian's hands, and later became a fierce corpse where she turned against Wen Chao in attempt to kill him.
Yunmeng Jiang Sect
- Voiced by: Tang Shuiyu (donghua), Zhang Zhen (audio drama)
- Jiang Fengmian was the former leader of the Jiang Sect. He was the husband of Yu Ziyuan and the father of Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli. He was friends with Wei Wuxian's father, Wei Changze, who was a servant of the sect. He was also familiar with Wei Wuxian's mother, Cangse Sanren, and it was rumored that he was in love with her. When he heard that both parents had died on a night-hunt, he dedicated himself to finding their son. He eventually found Wei Wuxian on the streets of Yiling and fed him a piece of melon before carrying him home to Yunmeng. Because of his treatment to Wei Wuxian which was seen better than how he treated his own son, he and his wife often argued. Along with his wife, he died in Wen Sect's hands during their invasion of the Lotus Pier.
- Voiced by: Guo Haoran (donghua), Peng Yao (audio drama)
- Jiang Cheng is the current leader of the Jiang Sect. Titled Sandu Shengshou (Chinese: 三毒圣手; pinyin: Sāndú shèngshǒu), he is the brother of Jiang Yanli and Wei Wuxian, and the uncle of Jin Ling. He has a deep care for his family and friends and knows to respect his elders. At the beginning, he had a good relationship with Wei Wuxian, despite the latter often annoying him with his mischief. However, his hatred for the Wen Sect caused a great strain in their relationship. This eventually became pure hatred when Wen Ning accidentally killed his brother-in-law (Jin Zixuan) and his sister died for protecting Wei Wuxian. However, ultimately, he gives up this hatred after learning how Wei Wuxian had sacrificed his Golden Core for him. Though despite all these, he still loves his nephew Jin Ling, and acts in a strict manner like his mother had did to him as a child.
- Voiced by: Li Shimeng (donghua), Qiao Shiyu (audio drama)
- Jiang Yanli was the daughter of Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyuan, and older sister of Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian. She was a very kind person who would always protect her younger brothers as emotional support. She had an arranged marriage with Jin Zixuan as their mothers were very close. But she did not like Jin Zixuan at first, and was even mocked at by him for being average. The engagement was called off until Jin Zixuan realised his mistake and pursued her again. They were then blessed with a son, Jin Ling, but were unable to raise him for long as they died in the hands of Wen Ning.
- Voiced by: Ji Guanlin (donghua), Zhang Kai (audio drama)
- Yu Ziyuan was the wife of Jiang Fengmian, and mother of Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli. She had a cold and assertive personality which did not come off as likeable. Titled Madam Yu (Chinese: 虞夫人; pinyin: Yú fūrén) and Violet Spider (Chinese: 紫蜘蛛; pinyin: Zǐ Zhīzhū), she was a formidable cultivator whose name alone could scare quite a few people away. She had a poor relationship with Wei Wuxian, as she viewed him as the cause of all problems that befall her family. She would often speak poorly of him in her conversations with Jiang Fengmian. She obliged to whip him with Zidian when Wang Lingjiao demanded him to be punished. However, she showed some care towards Wei Wuxian when she did not chop off his hand despite Wang Lingjiao's demands. Along with her husband, she died in Wen Sect's hands during their invasion of the Lotus Pier. During her final moments, she told Wei Wuxian to protect Jiang Cheng with his life.
Yi City Arc
During Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji's mission, they arrived at Yi City (Chinese: 义城; pinyin: Yì chéng) and bumped into Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi, Jin Ling and some other disciples from different sects during their night hunt. From there, they uncover the truth of Xiao Xingchen's death and found the missing right arm for the mission.
- Voiced by: Chen Hao (audio drama)
- Also known as Daozhang (Chinese: 道长; pinyin: Dàozháng), Xiao Xingchen was one of Baoshan Sanren's students who left the mountain for the mortal world. He and his best friend Song Lan were once called "the bright moon and cold breeze Xiao Xingchen, the distant snow and cold frost Song Zichen". He first met A-Qing who was in the midst of using her fake blindness to steal money, and the latter started following him around. After finding an injured person lying unconscious on the street, later revealed to be Xue Yang, the three of them started living in an uninhabited coffin house. During their time here, he once told them stories about some of Baoshan Sanren's disciples, including Wei Wuxian's parents. Throughout the years, he went on night-hunts with Xue Yang, unknowingly killing innocent people who were put under Corpse Poisoning by the latter. After finding out the truth about Xue Yang's identity from A-Qing, he told her to run away while he confronted Xue Yang. However, the truth of him unintentionally killing Song Lan put him in great misery, hence he committed suicide. As this method of death caused his soul to be shattered, Xue Yang was unable to turn him into a fierce corpse. Not willing to let him go, Xue Yang stored his soul in a spirit-trapping pouch, which was later presented to Wei Wuxian and he sought his help to restore it. At the end, after hearing A-Qing's story, the disciples cried and mourned over their deaths while they burned incense money for him and A-Qing right outside Yi City.
- Voiced by: Wu Lei (audio drama)
- Song Lan was a cultivator from Baixue Temple, and best friend of Xiao Xingchen. He was described by Xiao Xingchen to be "a man of strong sense of righteousness". He and Xiao Xingchen were once called "the bright moon and cold breeze Xiao Xingchen, the distant snow and cold frost Song Zichen". He once had his eyes blinded and poisoned by Xue Yang when Baixue Temple was destroyed. But Xiao Xingchen dug out his own eyes and gave them to him after bringing him to Baoshan Sanren's residence and begging her to save him. While searching for Xiao Xingchen after his sudden disappearance, he came across A-Qing who was out playing on her own. A-Qing then helped him get to Xiao Xingchen. When they arrived at the coffin house, he recognised Xue Yang immediately and advised A-Qing to stay away from this matter, although she then followed him secretly. During his fight with Xue Yang, the latter gave him Corpse Poisoning and cut off his tongue, hence he was made unable to talk. Xue Yang later tricked Xiao Xingchen into killing him. In his final moments, he did not make a sound as he did not want to let Xiao Xingchen know it was him. All along,helping witnessed this whole incident, and begged his spirit to forgive Xiao Xingchen and bless them in escaping from Xue Yang. After his death, Xue Yang turned him into a fierce corpse who will obey him, and he was also summoned to fight Wei Wuxian. But Wei Wuxian managed to return his consciousness and gave him the spirit-trapping pouch that contained Xiao Xingchen's and A-Qing's souls. When asked what he would do with Xiao Xingchen's body, he lamented that he would cremate his body, roam the world with Xiao Xingchen's sword Shuanghua (Chinese: 霜华; pinyin: Shuānghuá) to eliminate evil, and await for his return so he could tell him that this was never his fault.
- Voiced by: Yang Neng (audio drama)
- A-Qing was a young maiden who lived on the streets prior to meeting Xiao Xingchen and she was an expert at pretending to be blind. After encountering Xiao Xingchen, she started following him against his will at first, but they eventually started living together in an uninhabited coffin house with Xue Yang. Throughout the years, she was extremely cautious about Xue Yang and protective of Xiao Xingchen, hence she would follow them sometimes, uncovering Xue Yang's secrets in the process. When she witnessed how Xue Yang tricked Xiao Xingchen into killing Song Lan, she immediately decided to bring Xiao Xingchen away to keep him safe. However, Xiao Xingchen told her to run away instead while he confronted Xue Yang himself. As she went around searching for a powerful cultivator to seek revenge for Xiao Xingchen, Xue Yang found her. After continuously insulting Xue Yang in anger, the latter lost his patience and dug out her eyes and cut her tongue, resulting in her death. When Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji and the disciples arrived at Yi City, as a walking corpse, she kept on warning them about Xue Yang. However, her muteness brought about confusion until Wei Wuxian finally figured out her intentions. To learn more about her story, Wei Wuxian used Empathy, a rite that allows a spirit to use one's body as a medium, allowing oneself to see, feel and hear their memories. After hearing her story, the disciples cried and mourned over her death while they burned incense money for her and Xiao Xingchen right outside Yi City.
- Voiced by: Hui Long (audio drama)
- Xue Yang was a guest disciple of the Jin Sect who recreated the other half of the Stygian Tiger Seal. He was found by Xiao Xingchen and A-Qing while he was injured and unconscious on the streets. He was then brought to an uninhabited coffin house where the two tended to his injuries. As the two did not know his real identity, he used Xiao Xingchen's blindness to his advantage and ended up living with them for years through lies. However, he was exposed when A-Qing witnessed his malicious intent. He fought Xiao Xingchen and ultimately revealed his lies. But the truth caused Xiao Xingchen to commit suicide. As Xue Yang was unable to make him into a fierce corpse, he stored his shattered soul in a spirit-trapping pouch. He later found A-Qing who was seeking revenge, and killed her by digging her eyes and cutting her tongue out. When Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji and the disciples arrived at Yi City, he pretended to be Xiao Xingchen and tricked them to get himself some alone time with Wei Wuxian. Revealing that he has been searching for the Yiling Patriarch, he then presented Wei Wuxian the spirit-trapping pouch and threatened him to restore it. Wei Wuxian saw through his act and quickly knew he was Xue Yang. The two then got into a fight, and Lan Wangji subsequently took over while Wei Wuxian goes to find A-Qing with the disciples. After knowing the whole truth about the past, Wei Wuxian returned to the battle to aid in killing him. However, he was taken away by the gravedigger in the middle of battle. It was unclear whether he had died, but both Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji believed that his injuries were too serious to be healed.
The original novel was completed by its author Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (Chinese: 墨香铜臭), and published on the online platform Jinjiang Wenxuecheng (Chinese: 晋江文学城). The paper book was published by Pinsin Studio (Chinese: 平心工作室) in 2016 in Traditional Chinese, and then published by Sichuan Literature and Art Publishing House (Chinese: 四川文艺出版社) in 2018 in Simplified Chinese.
The donghua series of Mo Dao Zu Shi was financed by Tencent Penguin Pictures, and created by G.CMay Animation & Film. All episodes of the first season titled Qian Chen Pian (Chinese: 前尘篇) has been released on Tencent Video. Season 1 aired from July 9 to October 6, 2018 every Saturday (GMT +08:00). The animation has won the Gold Award for "The Best Serial Animation Award" at the 15th China Animation Golden Dragon Awards (Chinese: 第十五届中国动漫金龙奖). It also won "Best New Animation" at Xinguang Award (Chinese: 新光奖); the 7th China Xi'an International Original Animation Competition. A second season is scheduled to be released in July 2019, with the official trailer released on February 5, 2019 on Tencent Video.
Mo Dao Zu Shi also has a Manhua adaptation with the same name, officially published by KuaiKan Manhua (Chinese: 快看漫画). The first chapter was published on December 8, 2017, with a new update releasing every Saturday (GMT +08:00).
Mo Dao Zu Shi also has an audio drama adaptation (Chinese: 魔道祖师广播剧; pinyin: Módào zǔshī guǎngbòjù) produced by Polar Penguin Studios. It is only broadcasting on the Chinese audio streaming website MissEvan.com (Chinese: 猫耳FM), updating every Friday (GMT +08:00). Season 1 aired from June 8 to August 24, 2018 with a total of 12 episodes with some extras. Season 2 aired from October 5, 2018 to April 5, 2019 with some extras. The theme song is "何以歌" (pinyin: Héyǐ gē; literally: 'What To Sing'), and is performed by Aki阿杰. Starting from Episode 11 of Season 2, the theme song has changed to "Forgetting Envies" (Chinese: 忘羡; pinyin: Wàngxiàn). This is a duet between Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji, and is sung by Wu En and Zhu Qiang. Season 3 started airing from June 17, 2019.
Mo Dao Zu Shi has also been adapted for a live action web series titled The Untamed (Chinese: 陈情令; pinyin: Chén qíng lìng), produced by Tencent Penguin Pictures. This stars Xiao Zhan as Wei Wuxian and Wang Yibo as Lan Wangji. It begun airing in China on Tencent Video from June 27, 2019 with two episodes every Thursday and Friday (GMT +08:00), but was changed to every Monday till Wednesday starting July 1, 2019. It is expected to end on August 20, 2019 with the 50th episode. The theme song, sang by Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo, was titled "忘羡" (pinyin: Wàngxiàn) before being renamed to "无羁" (pinyin: Wú jī; literally: 'Without Restrain') starting from Episode 11. On July 8, 2019, the full version of the song and other special clips are released as an album on QQMusic.
The series received overwhelmingly positive reviews, and amassed a notable Internet fandom. Upon its release in China, the series became an instant hit, ultimately generating 1.74 billion views on Tencent's streaming platform, as of December 2018. On Douban, Mo Dao Zu Shi holds a rating of 8.9 out of 10, making it one of the best received donghua series of 2018 in China.
Outside China, Mo Dao Zu Shi was neither officially released nor marketed by Tencent.
- "Literature / Mo Dao Zu Shi". TV Tropes. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "Literature / Mo Dao Zu Shi". TV Tropes. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "Mo Dao Zu Shi《魔道祖师》墨香铜臭_晋江文学城". 晋江文学城 (in Chinese). Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Mo Dao Zu Shi official streaming魔道祖师 第01集_1080P在线观看平台_腾讯视频". Tencent Video (in Chinese). Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "第十五届 - 中国动漫金龙奖". www.topcacc.net. Retrieved 2019-02-21.
- "2018新光奖第七届国际原创动漫大赛提名作品公示 - 新光奖". www.xinguang.org. Retrieved 2019-02-21.
- "《魔道祖师》第二季首支预告_魔道祖师_1080P在线观看平台_腾讯视频". v.qq.com. Retrieved 2019-02-21.
- "Official Manhua of Mo Dao Zu Shi魔道祖师 官方在线漫画全集-快看漫画". Kuaikan Manhua (in Chinese). Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "魔道祖师 第一季 - 猫耳FM". www.missevan.com. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "魔道祖师 第二季 - 猫耳FM". www.missevan.com. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "魔道祖师 第三季 - 猫耳FM". www.missevan.com. Retrieved 2019-07-03.
- "《陈情令》首曝剧照 肖战王一博掀仙侠风云". ifeng (in Chinese). 5 July 2018.
- "陈情令 国风音乐专辑 - QQ音乐-千万正版音乐海量无损曲库新歌热歌天天畅听的高品质音乐平台！". y.qq.com. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- "Mo Dao Zu Shi official streaming魔道祖师 第01集_1080P在线观看平台_腾讯视频". Tencent Video (in Chinese). Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "魔道祖师 (豆瓣)". movie.douban.com. Retrieved 2018-12-27.