The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Mountain View, California. It became publicly traded in 2014. After its share price fell from $9 at the time of the IPO to below $4 in early 2016, the company's founder Bob Tinker was replaced by Barry Mainz as CEO, but remained on the company's board of directors.
MobileIron's software allows the management of mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers in an enterprise environment, as well as the secure mobile access to enterprise data. As of June 2015 it held about 9.2% of global EMM market share. It was listed as a "leader" in Gartner's June 2015 study "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Mobility Management Suites", together with AirWatch, Citrix, IBM and BlackBerry.
In a 2016 review of MDM solutions, Markus Pierer described MobileIron as the market leader, highlighting its complete support of mobile operating systems, layered security model and fast development and release cycle, but noted its "suboptimal" support that depended on partners or resellers. Also in 2016, CIO magazine, citing Gartner's study, noted that MobileIron faced increasing competition as "one of the last remaining stand-alone EMM vendors". It named platform compatibility, third party integration and customer satisfaction as some of MobileIron's strengths, but mentioned an outdated UI and unsatisfactory support among its weaknesses.
As of 2016, MobileIron's principal competitors include Microsoft's Enterprise Mobility Suite, as well as other major enterprise software providers such as IBM, SAP and BlackBerry following their acquisition of previously independent EMM vendors including AirWatch and Good Technology.
- Pierer, Markus (2016). Mobile Device Management: Mobility Evaluation in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Springer. p. 77. ISBN 9783658150464.
- Edmond, Ramin (8 January 2016). "MobileIron CEO change fuels acquisition speculation". TechTarget. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Mobility Management Suites". www.gartner.com. 8 June 2015. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Bremmer, Manfred (15 June 2016). "Enterprise Mobility Management: Gartner Magic Quadrant EMM 2016 - wir sind alle Gewinner?". Computerwoche. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- White, Sarah K. (23 August 2016). "5 products leading the enterprise mobile management pack". CIO magazine. Retrieved 29 November 2016.