Mobile International Speedway
|Location||7800 Park Blvd Irvington, Alabama 36544|
|Architect||Walter "Skip" Wetjen|
|Length||0.8 km (0.5 mi)|
Mobile International Speedway is a 1/2 mile paved oval North American Auto racing track located in the Mobile County, Alabama community of Irvington, Alabama. The track is situated along U.S. Highway 90. Constructed by Walter "Skip" Wetjen, it first opened in 1965.
During the golden age of stock car racing the track held races with the likes of Gene Tapia and other NASCAR drivers, including Wayne Niedecken, Sr., and Phil Wendt. Longtime stock car driver Red Farmer won his 500th feature race at the track.
From 1966 to 1968 the track hosted open wheel racing and held the annual World 300 race for Supermodified racing which attracted competitors that included notable drivers such as Bobby Allison, Dale Hammac, and Armond Holley.
In the 1980s, the track hosted races sanctioned by All Pro Stock, ASA, NASCAR Grand American, NASCAR All-American Challenge Series, and NASCAR All Pro Stock Car. Those races included drivers Donnie Allison, Rusty Wallace, Dave Mader III, Ronnie Sanders, Mike Cope, Freddy Fryar, Junior Niedecken, Jody Ridley, and others.
More recently the track has been home to a number of rising NASCAR and ARCA drivers including Rick Crawford, Kevin Swindell (a development driver for Ray Evernham), Bubba Pollard (of Roush Racing: Driver X) and Cale Gale. Kevin Swindell holds the all-time track record.
- National Sprint Car Hall of Fame website at http://sprintcarhof.com/article.aspx?id=178
- Walter "Skip" Wetjen, promoter of local sports and World War II Vet, dies, Mobile Register, December 2, 2008, online at http://bama.live.advance.net/news/press-register/featobit.ssf?/base/news/122821293669790.xml&coll=3
- See Race Results for Niedecken at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist2.php?uniqid=5665
- Photos of Wendt and crew at http://www.genetapiaracing.com/philwendt.htm
- See, http://www.racing-reference.info/driver?id=wendtph01
- See Race Results for Wendt at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist2.php?uniqid=5648
- See interview at, http://www.stockcarracing.com/featuredvehicles/scrp_0601w_charles_red_farmer/index.html
- See photo and note at http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=8766
- See photos of more Supermodifieds from Mobile International Speedway at http://www.retrorockets.org/1/Volume38.htm
- See photos of Hammac at http://www.genetapiaracing.com/dale_hammac.htm
- See article about Holley at http://www.genetapiaracing.com/armond_holley.htm
- See race results for Sanders at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist2.php?uniqid=4373
- See Race Results for Cope at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist2.php?uniqid=825
- See Race Results for Fryar at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist2.php?uniqid=187
- See Race REsults for Niedecken at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist2.php?uniqid=5912
- See Race Results for Ridley at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist2.php?uniqid=826
- See Composite Race Results at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist3.php?trackid=400
- See 1982 Race Results at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist.php?year=1982
- See 1983 Race Results at http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/racelist.php?year=1983
- Official Web Site of Kevin Swindell, http://www.kevinswindell.com/cms.asp?Page=kevin
- Official track web site, http://www.mobilespeedway.net/trackrecords.php
- See, Starling, Bill, The Final Destination shoot scenes at Mobile International Speedway, Mobile Register, August 27, 2009, found online at http://photos.al.com/mobile-press-register/2009/08/final_destination_4_shoot_scen_9.html