Mobile World Congress
|GSMA Mobile World Congress|
|Venue||Fira de Barcelona|
|Location(s)||Fira Barcelona Gran Via, Barcelona|
|Inaugurated||1987(as GSM World Congress)|
The GSMA Mobile World Congress (MWC) is the world's largest exhibition for the mobile industry, incorporating a thought-leadership conference that features prominent executives representing mobile operators, device manufacturers, technology providers, vendors and content owners from across the world.
In 2014, the GSMA announced that their annual summer event in China would be rebranded under the Mobile World Congress banner as "Mobile World Congress Shanghai".
In 2016, the GSMA announced the creation of Mobile World Congress Americas, an event created in partnership with CTIA to bring an extension of the event to North America in 2017.
For 2019, addressing the expansion of the event's focus beyond just mobile technology, Mobile World Congress evolved the event's name to simply, MWC Barcelona. The new event brand retains the familiar acronym while placing less emphasis on ‘mobile’ to reflect the broadening scope of communications today. Building off of the recognition and success of the MWC name, the events in Shanghai and the Americas will also now be referred to as MWC Shanghai and MWC Los Angeles, as the Americas regional event will remain in Los Angeles for a second year.
The GSMA Mobile World Congress usually takes place in February, but occasionally, the show occurs the first week of March. The location is the Fira Gran Via venue in Barcelona, Spain. Annual attendance is generally more than 100,000 people. Up until 2006, the event took place in Cannes and was known as 3GSM World. Attendees represent more than 200 countries from across the globe.
GSMA MWC19 Barcelona takes place in Barcelona from 25 to 28 February 2019.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The 2019 GSMA MWC Barcelona will take place from 25–28 February 2019
- GSMA Mobile World Congress Americas took place from 12–14 September 2018
- The 2018 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 25–28 February 2018
- The 2017 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 27 February–2 March 2017
- The 2016 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 22–25 February 2016
- The 2015 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 2–5 March 2015
- The 2014 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 24–27 February 2014
- The 2013 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 25–28 February
- The 2012 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 27 February–1 March 2012
- The 2011 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 14–17 February 2011
- The 2010 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 15–18 February 2010
- The 2009 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from 16–19 February 2009
Shane Smith of Vice Media during Mobile World Congress 2017
- "GSMA Mobile World Congress".
- GSMA launched Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2015 ""
- "GSMA wraps 'hugely successful' MWC18 despite fewer attendees than expected | FierceWireless". www.fiercewireless.com. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "MWC claims 60,000 visitors as dates shift". Global Telecoms Business.
- "GSMA Names Barcelona the First Mobile World Capital - Newsroom". gsma.com (Press release). 22 July 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Peter Clarke, EE Times. "Barcelona selected to host MWC through 2018." 22 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Alberto J. Sánchez. "Barcelona selected to host MWC through 2023." 14 July 2015.
- CDN Solutions Group "will be present in Mobile World Congress 2018 Barcelona." 31 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mobile World Congress.|