Mobile World Congress
|GSMA Mobile World Congress|
|Venue||Fira de Barcelona|
|Location(s)||L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona|
|Inaugurated||1987(as GSM World Congress)|
The GSMA Mobile World Congress is a combination of the world's largest exhibition for the mobile industry and a conference featuring prominent executives representing mobile operators, device manufacturers, technology providers, vendors and content owners from across the world. The event, initially named as GSM World Congress and later renamed as the 3GSM World Congress, is still often referred to as 3GSM or 3GSM World.
The 2017 event will take place 27 February to 2 March 2017.
In 2014, the GSMA announced that their annual summer event in China was being rebranded under the Mobile World Congress banner as "Mobile World Congress Shanghai".
In 2016, the GSMA announced the creation of Mobile World Congress Americas, an event created in partnership with CTIA to bring the an extension of the event to North America in 2017.
The GSMA Mobile World Congress usually takes place in February but occasionally the show occurs the first week of March. The location is the Fira Gran Via venue in Barcelona, Spain. Annual attendance is generally between 90,000-100,000 people. Up until 2006 the event took place in Cannes and was known as 3GSM World. Attendees represent more than 200 countries from across the globe.
Past event dates
- The 2016 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from February 22–25, 2016
- The 2015 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from March 2–5, 2015
- The 2014 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from February 24–27, 2014
- The 2013 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from February 25–28, 2013
- The 2012 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from February 27 to March 1, 2012
- The 2011 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from February 14–17, 2011
- The 2010 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from February 15–18, 2010
- The 2009 GSMA Mobile World Congress took place from February 16–19, 2009
In 2014, the GSMA announced that the event was striving to become carbon neutral. In July 2014, it was announced that Mobile World Congress 2014 was indeed the largest conference and exhibition to be certified as carbon neutral through PAS 2060, an internationally recognised certification system. To achieve this certification, the GSMA calculated Mobile World Congress’ carbon footprint; developed a footprint reduction strategy; and offset emissions that could not be avoided. The certification marks the latest step in the GSMA's long-standing and continued commitment to preserving the environment.
Other green initiatives at Mobile World Congress include solar device charging, reduced waste of printed materials, encouraged the reuse and recycling of materials at the venue, and utilised digital signage and electronic tools.
- "GSMA Mobile World Congress".
- GSMA launches Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2015 ""
- "MWC claims 60,000 visitors as dates shift". Global Telecoms Business.
- GSMA Announces Mobile World Congress 2015 ""
- 2016 GSMA Mobile World Congress Surpasses Record 100,000 Visitors ""
- GSMA Names Barcelona first GSMA Mobile. World Capital"" July 22, 2011.
- Peter Clarke, EE Times. "Barcelona selected to host MWC through 2018." July 22, 2011. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- Alberto J. Sánchez. "Barcelona selected to host MWC through 2023." July 14, 2015.
- "Mobile World Congress 2014 To Become World's Largest Certified Carbon Neutral Tradeshow". GSMA.
- "Gsma Mobile World Congress Achieves Carbon Neutral Certification". GSMA.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mobile World Congress.|